Sale fell through on a hard to sell home primarily because of items in and condition of basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
What @GON is experiencing is totally opposite of the Illinois market. Prices in the Seattle Tacoma metro are very high. Location is a huge factor here, even more so than most places.

Here is a “affordable” house I picked out from Redfin. I actually know this house since I had a friend from long ago live there. It’s tiny. What is not disclosed is that someone was shot and killed in front of that garage a few years back. The area is a drug haven and crime is rampant. Gunfire on a regular basis. Count the nights you don’t hear any. But for $339k this 1200sf house can be yours.

DuPont is much better and Steilacoom is a good place. @GON should count his blessings.
PT,

Wow- they did a nice job staging and decorating that home. But it is clear that it is "lipstick on a pig".

Not sure what forcing anyone to have their deposits to an Illinois bank will do... I've got bank accounts at multiple banks with no footprint in Minnesota at all, and moving money around to any of them is not an issue (and hasn't been for quite some time). The days of interstate banking being more difficult are long gone...

Also curious what "opening Ohare 24 hours" would actually do... And based on flightware's info, there certainly are flights arriving and departing out of O'hare in the overnight hours... Including passenger flights...

Not sure what forcing anyone to have their deposits to an Illinois bank will do... I've got bank accounts at multiple banks with no footprint in Minnesota at all, and moving money around to any of them is not an issue (and hasn't been for quite some time). The days of interstate banking being more difficult are long gone...

Also curious what "opening Ohare 24 hours" would actually do... And based on flightware's info, there certainly are flights arriving and departing out of O'hare in the overnight hours... Including passenger flights...
MNG,

Great questions. Ohare misses out of a lot of late night departures, early departures, etc. I am not fluent on the details, but I know on American Airlines I can catch late night departures out of CLT and DFW, but can't at ORD. Make ORD a 24 x 7 airport. Offer no landing or departing fees for flights departing and arriving between 9pm and 5am. Have new international flights arrive and depart between 9pm and 5am. ORD is a ghost town from 10pm to 5pm. Give a reason for its domestic hub carriers and new INTL carriers to utilize ORD 24x7. The vast majority of gates are not used between those hours (they may have a aircraft parked at some gates). The state is in deep, deep trouble. Start using what it has to give businesses some reason to take a second look at using ORD as a benefit to their businesses.

For the banking, it is to address the people getting state pensions, that voted for the corrupt politicians, and move out of Illinois to have remaining residents burden with their bloated pension payments. Adjust the way pensions are paid out monthly. Maybe pensions have to be picked up by check at a county courthouse in Illinois, of the pensioners'' choosing. Of course this is a theory, that is to submit a message that pillaging the state and leaving the state by pensioners' is not so feasible. I am sure my hasty thought of pension payments is greatly flawed, but it starts to begin a discussion to address this monster issue of a huge growing pension liability that is out of control being paid for by a shrinking population and fleeing business community.

MNG,

Great questions. Ohare misses out of a lot of late night departures, early departures, etc. I am not fluent on the details, but I know on American Airlines I can catch late night departures out of CLT and DFW, but can't at ORD. Make ORD a 24 x 7 airport. Offer no landing or departing fees for flights departing and arriving between 9pm and 5am. Have new international flights arrive and depart between 9pm and 5am. ORD is a ghost town from 10pm to 5pm. Give a reason for its domestic hub carriers and new INTL carriers to utilize ORD 24x7. The vast majority of gates are not used between those hours (they may have a aircraft parked at some gates). The state is in deep, deep trouble. Start using what it has to give businesses some reason to take a second look at using ORD as a benefit to their businesses.

For the banking, it is to address the people getting state pensions, that voted for the corrupt politicians, and move out of Illinois to have remaining residents burden with their bloated pension payments. Adjust the way pensions are paid out monthly. Maybe pensions have to be picked up by check at a county courthouse in Illinois, of the pensioners'' choosing. Of course this is a theory, that is to submit a message that pillaging the state and leaving the state by pensioners' is not so feasible. I am sure my hasty thought of pension payments is greatly flawed, but it starts to begin a discussion to address this monster issue of a huge growing pension liability that is out of control being paid for by a shrinking population and fleeing business community.
What about the communities around the airport? I think flights at our airport are also low at night primarily so the local residents can sleep without hearing airplanes all night.

As for your pensions, that is just a band aid for the main problem which is that the pensions were too generous. That's hard to fix now but the real fix will come later when they're bankrupt. If you can add new conditions to the pension that weren't there before, you can change the terms of the pension which is basically what you're trying to do by making them show up for the check.

What about the communities around the airport? I think flights at our airport are also low at night primarily so the local residents can sleep without hearing airplanes all night.

As for your pensions, that is just a band aid for the main problem which is that the pensions were too generous. That's hard to fix now but the real fix will come later when they're bankrupt. If you can add new conditions to the pension that weren't there before, you can change the terms of the pension which is basically what you're trying to do by making them show up for the che
Wolf, the residents around the airport are on a sinking ship. They owe tons of liabilities to the state, and it is often unsafe for them to leave their house. Modern aircraft are much quieter than aircraft from the last century. Cost of business living near the airport in a state that is clearly in "code blue" status. That airport is one of the few opportunities the area has to start to turn things around.

The pension payment issue is exactly what you replied with. The Illinois state supreme court has struck down any and all efforts to address the pension problem. The state would likely already be insolvent if it weren't for monster gifts from the federal government over the past 18 months. That money was not sent to Illinois to put a band aide on pensions, but I am sure that is what it was used for.

Of note, the Chief Justice of the Illinois State Supreme Court, Anne Burke, is married to a long time Chicago Alderman, Ed Burke, who is under indictment for shaking down Chicago businesses. Can't make this stuff up. The actual CZAR of Illinois, Michael Madigan (Illinois Speaker of the House) who had led the state for 50 years and is likely the center of gravity for the state's crisis, is under inditement. He was a super smooth/ savvy operator, in 50 years of being the state czar, he never owned or used a cell phone or email. And his daughter was the ILLINOIS STATE ATTORNEY, the chief law enforcement officer for the state, can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Reading this thread has me wondering how Illinois is even in the same country as many of the “hot market” states. I would love to sell out of a hot property and get something cheap if i could easily move my life like that.

Reading this thread has me wondering how Illinois is even in the same country as many of the “hot market” states. I would love to sell out of a hot property and get something cheap if i could easily move my life like that.
Dareo,

Regrettably, can't suggest Illinois as a new destination. Shame as the residents of Illinois are very good people and hard working. But the sinking ship known as Illinois is about sunk.

Maybe you could target Douglas, AZ. It is in the only county in AZ that has lost population over the past 20 years. Prices in Douglas, AZ have risen double digits over the past year, but I think you may still find the area affordable when compared to Phoenix, SLC, and Boise.

Wolf, the residents around the airport are on a sinking ship. They owe tons of liabilities to the state, and it is often unsafe for them to leave their house. Modern aircraft are much quieter than aircraft from the last century. Cost of business living near the airport in a state that is clearly in "code blue" status. That airport is one of the few opportunities the area has to start to turn things around.
Yeah but even people on a sinking ship should be able to do so in quiet. I was just at a park not too long ago near the airport. While they're quieter, it's still noisy near the airport.

I believe 4 of the last 10 governors of Illinois went to prison. That pretty much says all you need to know. I remember driving by Chicago not too long ago and was thinking of maybe trying a deep dish pizza but the idea got nixed as we didn't know the area and didn't want to get shot getting a pizza so we kept driving.

Yeah but even people on a sinking ship should be able to do so in quiet. I was just at a park not too long ago near the airport. While they're quieter, it's still noisy near the airport.

I believe 4 of the last 10 governors of Illinois went to prison. That pretty much says all you need to know. I remember driving by Chicago not too long ago and was thinking of maybe trying a deep dish pizza but the idea got nixed as we didn't know the area and didn't want to get shot getting a pizza so we kept driving.
Funny part, the Governors that went to prison were likely the least corrupt of the State/County/ Municipal officials...

No sales ever fall through for the "right price".

The problem is probably because to get to the right price there's some work to be done, and it is the seller's job to find the low hanging fruit that has the best return for the best investment / least effort. Or you probably need to take off the rose tinted glass to look at it objectively.

Maybe you can clean it up, do some cost effective improvement, etc. Maybe you need to let go of some of your sentimental value tinted glass. Maybe you need to make it look popular (despite not your preference). If you are honest to yourself and listen to others you'll likely find the answer.

Good luck.

Rescue aircraft are noisy!!

No sales ever fall through for the "right price".

The problem is probably because to get to the right price there's some work to be done, and it is the seller's job to find the low hanging fruit that has the best return for the best investment / least effort. Or you probably need to take off the rose tinted glass to look at it objectively.

Maybe you can clean it up, do some cost effective improvement, etc. Maybe you need to let go of some of your sentimental value tinted glass. Maybe you need to make it look popular (despite not your preference). If you are honest to yourself and listen to others you'll likely find the answer.

Good luck.
What????

Home sales fall through all the time at the "right price". Many factors for a home sale to not close, price might or might not be one of the factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back