Sailun or Carlisle trailer tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a string of bad luck, my wife has went through 2 trailer tires this year. Blow outs on our horse trailer. Its tandem so it was not catastrophic but carrying animals down the highway none the less. BTW she is getting awesome at changing them out roadside when safe.

Anyways, not by choice but tire shops that were near had what they had in stock. E rated trailer specific tires. First place had Sailun and this last place had Carlisle. Now we are going to replace the rest of the tires and spare (3 total now). Which is the preferred brand to go with? The "lesser" of these brands will end up as the new spare.

Thanks for any input!!

Last edited:
I've had a few sets of Carlisles on different trailers and they've given me good service.

About 10 years ago I bought a new travel trailer that came with Carlisles, but whatever the cheapest model they made was at that time. I think they might've even been bias-plys. It was a week old and I got a flat from a nail. I called their customer service to see if there was any road hazard warranty and believe it or not they shipped me out 4 new radial trailer tires.

They're based out of TN and I was glad the person that answered their number was in the USA.

The Sailun S637 ST tire is very highly regarded on the RV forums. You didn't mention a size, but the aforementioned Sailun S637 can be had in 235/80R 16 or 235/85R 16. Both in a heavier duty 14 ply rating.

If either is the size you need, that's the tire I'd go with. I had a set on a 5th wheel toy hauler that I owned. No complaints.

I would steer clear of Carlisle's, just based on past experience.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
In a string of bad luck, my wife has went through 2 trailer tires this year. Blow outs on our horse trailer. Its tandem so it was not catastrophic but carrying animals down the highway none the less. BTW she is getting awesome at changing them out roadside when safe.

Anyways, not by choice but tire shops that were near had what they had in stock. E rated trailer specific tires. First place had Sailun and this last place had Carlisle. Now we are going to replace the rest of the tires and spare (3 total now). Which is the preferred brand to go with? The "lesser" of these brands will end up as the new spare.

Thanks for any input!!

Carlisle tires has had a newer radial (Radial Trail HD) for the last 4 or 5 years that is proven to be a good tire. I don't believe in the kind of"bad luck" your wife is having.

Maybe the load range "E" will help because it sounds like she has an over loaded trailer and is driving too fast.

Most ST ties are rated at 65mph=but several sizes on Carlise's website are rated for 80mph(at maximum inflation).

When some complain about Carlisle having issues-that was true 10 years ago-the Internet never forgets.....

Last edited:
I think most trailer tires are hit and miss. I have had Carlisles on both of my trailers with no issues.

My current set have been on for 3 years and 15,000 ish miles. No issues. They are Carlisle Radial Trail RHs. They are speed rated to 81 mph.

My trailer won't ever see that so it is nice to have the cushion.

What size tire?

I like Maxxis tires. Used them for years. If the 13 inch tires hold up on my dual axle tt, the larger ones should be great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Why don't you look into LT tires?

This is why-

Trailer Towing – ST Tires vs. LT Tires. ... ST tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not designed for the load or traction requirements of a drive or steering axle. ST tires have strengthened sidewalls to prevent the tire from rolling under the rim in turns and when cornering.

Light truck tires are a type of passenger vehicle tire and as such they are not built with as thick of a sidewall as trailer tires. A thicker sidewall allows a trailer tire to handle more vertical load.Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Carlisle's too
smile.gif

+1

But for trailer tires my brother has a set of Carlisles that have been great on his car-hauler trailer.

Thanks guys. The Pro Meters currently on it are Chinese made, probably 10 years old or more. We bought the trailer used in 2011. Its a 2001 so really, the tire age is a guess judging on how they looked when it was bought. They do not look dry rotted but appearance is not everything. Both blow outs are the rear most tire. We do have a slight rake unloaded and lightly loaded, which would put more of the weight onto the rear tires. Tire size is 235/85R16. All tires are E rated. Trailer weights 5800lb empty, max load we have had on it is approx. 11,000lb total.

As for speed. Yes we have run highway speeds with it. Unloaded it may see upwards of 115 km/h on smooth portions of highway. Usual speed is around 100 to 105 km/h. Loaded it rarely sees over 100km/h. Live load requires a bit more of a safety net. So yes, speed may play a part.

So the Sailun tire is the S637, which is Chinese made. Its load rating must be beyond E as it is rated for 110psi max. I have not really read much on the sidewall. It is a beefy looking tire.

The Carlisle is their "radial" which is E rated and 80psi max. It has a healthy dose of siping as well.

Thanks guys. The Pro Meters currently on it are Chinese made, probably 10 years old or more. We bought the trailer used in 2011. Its a 2001 so really, the tire age is a guess judging on how they looked when it was bought. They do not look dry rotted but appearance is not everything. Both blow outs are the rear most tire. We do have a slight rake unloaded and lightly loaded, which would put more of the weight onto the rear tires. Tire size is 235/85R16. All tires are E rated. Trailer weights 5800lb empty, max load we have had on it is approx. 11,000lb total.

As for speed. Yes we have run highway speeds with it. Unloaded it may see upwards of 115 km/h on smooth portions of highway. Usual speed is around 100 to 105 km/h. Loaded it rarely sees over 100km/h. Live load requires a bit more of a safety net. So yes, speed may play a part.

So the Sailun tire is the S637, which is Chinese made. Its load rating must be beyond E as it is rated for 110psi max. I have not really read much on the sidewall. It is a beefy looking tire.

The Carlisle is their "radial" which is E rated and 80psi max. It has a healthy dose of siping as well.

The Sailun's are Chinese tires, but they are well above average from some of the Chinese tire brands. As I said, they are highly regarded on the RV Forums. Lots of those members travel the country full-time. Lots of those same members got rid of problematic Goodyears, in favor of those specific Sailun's.

The Sailun S637 ST is a G load rating tire, so beyond the load rating of an E load rating tire. While they CAN handle 110 psi to get to their max load rating, like any tire they can be run at less PSI, as long as the lower PSI allows sufficient load capacity for the weight the tire is supporting. Loading at different PSI can found in load Inflation Tables.

I'm running Michelin XTA 215/75R17.5 tires on my current toy hauler. They are a J load rating, 18 ply rated tire. But they don't come in a 16" size.

Tire size is 235/85R16. All tires are E rated. Trailer weights 5800lb empty, max load we have had on it is approx. 11,000lb total.
Whoa whoa whoa. Now we're getting somewhere!

Are trailers actually inspected for having trailer tires on it where you live?

I'd be running Load Range E LT tires on it in that size. My dad did that with a gooseneck triple axle trailer and it worked great in the AZ heat.

Originally Posted By: CKN

This is why-

Trailer Towing – ST Tires vs. LT Tires. ... ST tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not designed for the load or traction requirements of a drive or steering axle. ST tires have strengthened sidewalls to prevent the tire from rolling under the rim in turns and when cornering.

Light truck tires are a type of passenger vehicle tire and as such they are not built with as thick of a sidewall as trailer tires. A thicker sidewall allows a trailer tire to handle more vertical load.Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.

If you compare the two side by side not mounted you will find the LT weighs half as much more as the ST, the sidewall is not heavier, it is soft on a ST, and easily pushed in with a finger, the LT is stiff. Many fifth wheel owners switch to LT with no more tire issues, and personally I have them on mine and the work trailers I pull (a tri axle gooseneck and tandem dual axle) and they run cool and outlast a ST 3 times longer. The LT is a real tire, the ST is a tube with tread. Just my opinion after many miles towing.

^^^Completely agree.

We went through a trailer tire odyssey ourselves with our 5th wheel setup. After multiple tire failures we switched to an LT tire as well.

No sway, as a matter of fact no issues at all.

Originally Posted By: neil57
Originally Posted By: CKN

This is why-

If you compare the two side by side not mounted you will find the LT weighs half as much more as the ST, the sidewall is not heavier, it is soft on a ST, and easily pushed in with a finger, the LT is stiff. Many fifth wheel owners switch to LT with no more tire issues, and personally I have them on mine and the work trailers I pull (a tri axle gooseneck and tandem dual axle) and they run cool and outlast a ST 3 times longer. The LT is a real tire, the ST is a tube with tread. Just my opinion after many miles towing.

This was my understanding. And that trailer tires had to run at max psi because that's where they get their strength from, not the sidewalls.

My JayFlight Baja edition came with Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT's E-rated 10ply w/ 55k mile warranty. No sway what so ever though I do run a no-sway weight distribution hitch.

I imagine that your trailer sees a lot of dirt and gravel roads and staging areas. If the All Terrains aren't too expensive maybe 4 of those would be the way to go. And the better of the 2 trailer tires as the spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back