Safe to use up my 5w30 in 5w20 spec vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stchman
If something goes wrong, are the BITOG forum people going to pay the bill?

describe "something", and how and increase in KV100 of 3cst, and an increase in HTHS of 0.3cP would cause it...when the engine already operates on those exact same viscosities 10 degrees lower in the operating range.

You can what if all day. These arguments come up every day. The people with denied warranty claims because of running a little different grade haven't been heard from.

Originally Posted By: hatt
You can what if all day. These arguments come up every day. The people with denied warranty claims because of running a little different grade haven't been heard from.

Because they don't exist? I think Shannow has it right, the temperature spread is so narrow for the viscosities to match that the engine is already running that other viscosity at some point. And if I put a certain 5w-30 in a certain engine I will not mention, I can promise it will be a 20w faster than you can turn it on and run it around the block, and if you run it 2000 miles it won't be a 20w any more either. The company can test it all they'd like, they'll find their "recommended" oil even if that isn't what went in.

Generally, going within specification is wise. However, given internet amplification, and people's general nature to complain, if there were a lot of cases of warranty denial based upon using a 5w-30 in a 5w-20 spec engine, this is the place where they'd be screaming from the rooftops, no?

20wt is for cafe reasons put the 30wt in and enjoy the extra protection it provides
smile.gif
smile.gif

Well I did it so I'll let you know if my engine fails in 1000 miles.
wink.gif
Or, rather, I'll try to remember to post if it's just fine after 2 oil changes and 20k. Thanks for the advice. I realized it was probably just fine, but the reaffirmation helped the decision process.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No worries at all. Use it up, when you're done switch back to 5W20.

Why?

Originally Posted By: 3311

Why?

Because he can.
smile.gif

By all means, use the 5W30. And, don't worry about what the 5W20 Gestapo Police say.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Why?

Because he can.
smile.gif

By all means, use the 5W30. And, don't worry about what the 5W20 Gestapo Police say.

That was the reason for asking why. No need to switch back an xw20.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Why?

Because he can.
smile.gif

That was the reason for asking why. No need to switch back an xw20.
11.gif

It's all good.
thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't lose any sleep over using 5W-30.

In my experience most oil change places default you to 5W-30 irregardless of the car's supposed requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back