Warranty issues

I have a 2018 f150 5.0 4wd crew cab. I’ve been using 5w30 oil which has helped eliminate the oil consumption issues. However, my son informed me that if there’s and engine issue, that ford could refuse to repair it under the warranty because the owners manual says 5w20. Is that possibly true???
The manual for the newer f150s with the 5.0 say to use 5w30.
I'm going to bet that the owners manual recommends or suggests a 5w20 rather than requires.

Recommended motor oil (U.S.): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W20-QSP
WSS-M2C945-B1​

If you use oil and fluids that do not meet the defined specification and viscosity grade, this may lead to:
  • Component damage which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
  • Longer engine cranking periods.
  • Increased emission levels.
  • Reduced engine performance.
  • Reduced fuel economy.
  • Reduced brake performance.
We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle.If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

You're going to get answers all over the place, by chance does your 5/30 meet WSS-M2C945-B1 (assuming viscosity is not part of the specification) EDIT - Looks like it is part of the specification?

Back