SAE Paper on OEM ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading these ATF posts and on other forums, and I am curious about this paper. I am considering buying the paper, but was wondering, is it just full of oil analysis charts (I really don't know how to read them), or does it have some good information for someone who just wants to educate themself? I don't mind paying the $14, but I want to be able get something out of it. Thanks for any input.

Originally Posted By: adamg
I've been reading these ATF posts and on other forums, and I am curious about this paper. I am considering buying the paper, but was wondering, is it just full of oil analysis charts (I really don't know how to read them), or does it have some good information for someone who just wants to educate themself? I don't mind paying the $14, but I want to be able get something out of it. Thanks for any input.

I don't know your background but unless you understand the tests and the formulations I would say keep your dollars in your wallet.
Basically what the paper is showing is that individual OEM requirements are so diverse that a 'one size fits all' fluid is at best a jack of all trades and master of none.
The other point is don't waste your money on the aftermarket products.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think it might be interesting reading, but believe it was written by some GM engineers so might not be totally objective.

Donald,

SAE papers are peer reviewed. The information in this paper is fact based on test results. The conclusions, at least as far as I can see, are based on the facts of the test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back