Sachs or Monroe

I have a 2008 Mariner Premier V6 and it's finally time for shocks and struts. Wanting an upgrade over OE, I'm between using Sachs or Monroe OE Spectrums. Any thoughts?

Get the Motorcraft quick struts for the front and KYB Gas-A-Just for the rear :)

Even new OE shocks will be an upgrade over worn OE shocks. Sachs makes quick struts for a limited selection of cars but not your Mariner. Monroe will most likely be like OE

I agree with what’s stated above by everyone. We use only Monroe at work but based on what people have posted here is they aren’t what they used to be. We haven’t had any comebacks with them yet. Just installed a set today on a car. Bilstein are also good and Gabriel and Sachs too but they only make for limited cars and I don’t think the Mariner is one of those cars.

Monroe is no upgrade from OE they are possibly a small step up from Sensen. From what was posted last week Sachs is playing rebranded Chicom games so if it not for a Euro car I wouldn't risk it. KYB OE and sport are good but their aftermarket line is not in that quality level and definitely not an OE upgrade.
Go Bilstein!

No bilsteins for his application.

I'd probably go OE. I have kyb on the elantra, they ride stiffer.

Some vehciles have a smaller choice. I'll never be able to find aftermarket rear shocks for my Elantra since it's the rare Sport model and the only Elantra with an independent rear suspension. I'm sure some catalogs will assume wrong otherwise.

I may be wrong, but not in stock!

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 12.13.06 PM.jpg

Hyundai list a different rear shock for my car with a 6 speed manual vs the automatic, plus there is a left and a right side part number.
Of course a poached BMW suspension engineer designed the Elantra Sport suspension, no wonder.

Some vehciles have a smaller choice. I'll never be able to find aftermarket rear shocks for my Elantra since it's the rare Sport model and the only Elantra with an independent rear suspension. I'm sure some catalogs will assume wrong otherwise.

The i30 all had independant rear suspension, I'm fairly sure it's the same as your Elantra. So look for those if the time ever comes

To answer OP's question, Sachs and Monroe OE Spectrums are going to be pretty close to the design and ride quality of the original struts were equipped from factory. KYB Excel-G's and Gabriel Ultra's will also be in the same group and you could also consider those. Unfortunately, a Mercury Mariner/Ford Escape isn't really a sport or luxury model, so there is not going to be many other off-the-shelf aftermarket options that are going to improve your ride quality beyond OE.

I would point you away from the Sachs struts as they're the only of the group of four that don't have a lifetime warranty, but are the most expensive. Beyond that, it's buyer's choice, and since your second option was Monroe OE's, that would be my recommendation.

If Bilstein made shocks and struts for my car it would be a no brainer.
Monroe offers a lifetime warranty, Sachs is only for 24 months. Monroe are made in the US, Paragould, Arkansas actually. Where Sachs are made could be Mexico which is fine, but China, no.

Last edited:
If Bilstein made shocks and struts for my car it would be a no brainer.
Monroe offers a lifetime warranty, Sachs is only for 24 months. Monroe are made in the US, Paragould, Arkansas actually. Where Sachs are made could be Mexico which is fine, but China, no.
Check the dealer to see what the cost is. Are you buying struts and assembling them? Or quickie struts? I would go OE on the mounts, even if you buy Monroe or KYB .

I would uses Sachs if you can confirm they are made in Germany. And realistically, what is this, a 3 minute job? If they go bad it's no a big deal to replace.
For some reason I was thinking hood shocks, so forget that 3 minute comment. Must be a side effect of the covid shot this morning.

Back