S&W M&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just now bought a S&W M&P 9 mm semi-auto. I am getting night sights for it-those will come in about a week.

I really like the changeable backstraps so that you can adjust the grip for small, medium, and large hands. How come everybody does not do this? And the gun is reasonable in price. The grips on my Glock are like holding a small board.

I checked online to see if there were any problems with the gun. Some people claimed that a person needed a crowbar to load the 16th and 17th rounds in the magazines. Those people must have very weak fingers because I handloaded all three magazines with 17 rounds and these are brand new magazines. One magazine was very easy, one was kind of tough with round 17, and one was tough with both rounds 16 and 17. But I got the rounds in. Once the magazines are broken in they should be no problem. And they should be easy to take apart and clean. Glock magazines are terrible to try to disassemble.

Some people claimed online that the the slide stop was hard to engage when there was no magazine in the gun. It was kind of hard until I had taken the gun apart and cleaned and lubricated it. The slide squeaked until I had the gun cleaned and lubed. There was some kind of black protective stuff in the gun. It was hard to remove from the gun barrel bore. I used Hoppes Elite gun cleaner and Breakfree to clean and lubricate the gun.

I have not shot this gun yet. A woman I work with has a S&W M&P and she let me shoot her gun. The gun shoots really good. I was able to get just two boxes of 9 mm ammo for the gun. I will not be able to go shoot it until Sunday.

Yes, I can hardly wait to shoot it. I need to get it broken in and that will probably take 200-300 rounds through the gun. Heck, some people say it takes 1000 rounds through the S&W M&P before the trigger starts feeling better.

Some people said the trigger on a S&W M&P is mushy. I have shot a S&W M&P and to me the I would describe the trigger as being a little long until it clicks and is ready to shoot. There is a click when it resets. The trigger is kind of like a good revolver. The trigger is supposed to be about a pound heavier than a Glock but it does not feel that way to me.

When I shot the woman's gun she said, "Where were you shooting?" She had been expecting me to shoot center of mass. I had put three rounds into the head of the target without much of a real effort. I really was not trying to be super accurate. I just wanted to feel how the gun's trigger worked. All three rounds were close together in about the center of the head of the target. The trigger probably could be improved on a S&W M&P semi-auto but I can live with it as it is right now.

The gun points naturally and feels really good in the hand. I watched another woman who had a S&W M&P put two rounds right through a tiny black spot that a range instructor had drawn on her target. The black spot was about the size of a bee. This was about from 5-7 yards. There were three or four women shooting that day at the range that already had S&W M&Ps.

I had been waiting to shoot a S&W M&P before I made a decision to buy one. Everything I have seen indicates that the gun can be accurate and reliable. And the 9 mm ammo is about half the cost of the .40 cal. The gun is also available in .40 cal, .357 SIG, and .45.

There are only two stores near where I live where I can still find ammo. One store used to allow three boxes of 9 mm at a time (but now allows just two) and one box of .40. Another store allows only two boxes of 9 mm. I have pretty much given up trying to find ammo at Wal-Mart. The ammo is hard to find but you have to shoot your guns. And a new gun has to be broken in.

LOVE the M&P!

Got rid of all my Glocks when I shot my first one.

Never any problems with any of them with thousands of rounds. Plus I like the fact you can shoot lead and the supported barrels.

Good choice!
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back