S&W Equalizer

Ah, another look at me kinda model. A solution in search of a problem. Not simply this model by S&W but overall the firearm market seems highly oversaturated with similar products over the last few years.
Agreed... just like every new SUV looks the same, so too does every "new" gun... plastic frame, black slide, weird serrations and doohickeys hanging below the barrel... yawn... the firearms have no soul...

Might as well just go buy yourself a Glock 19 and be done with it... they are all ugly, might as well have reliable and cheap ugly... the only visually interesting firearms are reproductions of models almost 100 years old...

I guess as long as we are limited to gunpowder driving a projective, firearm technology is pretty mature... and firearms being durable goods, they rarely wear out, leaving the marketing departments with a conundrum!

100% agree with you Legal Eagles. Guns like the Colt 1873, Winchester and Marlin lever actions, Remington rolling block, 1903 Springfield and the Garand have that quality you would call soul. They represent the best of the era when they were made. Even their modern replicas have some.

Form over function or function over form? Concealed carry pistols have evolved into this form factor because it's what works for the task and it's what people want. It's a tool not an art piece.

S&W also has a new Model 350 stainless steel revolver that you can undoubtedly get wood grips for to make it pretty. MSRP is $1599.

What would people like to see in a concealed carry semi-auto to give it soul? FWIW I agree it's another black/plastic 9mm pistol that was never intended to be admired for it's artistic design.

Sorry only one degree of relative relationship, but I simply won't buy another NEW S&W.

2011 or so, S&W .380Bodyguard. The only new gun I ever got my money back. Hunk of junk. The body pins would come out when firing, the laser retaining screw would back out and jam the slide. Requires complete disassembly to unjam. Ugg.

2015 or so S&W .22LR 10 shot revolver. Trigger was basically inoperable. I fixed it myself. Still not great. Forcing cone looks like hell and not very accurate.

Somebody at S&W accidentally put an SD9 slide on an EZ……. Hey guys! I’ve got a million dollar idea!

Everyone comes running with their money.

Sorry only one degree of relative relationship, but I simply won't buy another NEW S&W.

2011 or so, S&W .380Bodyguard. The only new gun I ever got my money back. Hunk of junk. The body pins would come out when firing, the laser retaining screw would back out and jam the slide. Requires complete disassembly to unjam. Ugg.

2015 or so S&W .22LR 10 shot revolver. Trigger was basically inoperable. I fixed it myself. Still not great. Forcing cone looks like hell and not very accurate.
Is that revolver the Model 617?

I’ve thought about getting one of those.

Ah, another look at me kinda model. A solution in search of a problem. Not simply this model by S&W but overall the firearm market seems highly oversaturated with similar products over the last few years.
Think S&W might still be paying some royalties after getting sued by Glock. Never been too impressed with their products or quality. Might explain why Walther left and Dan Wesson also left to form a higher quality product.

I think Sam Colt would have a problem with S&W using his marketing.

70dbd81a135be1ae6f8eab6c0cc622eb.jpg

Agreed... just like every new SUV looks the same, so too does every "new" gun... plastic frame, black slide, weird serrations and doohickeys hanging below the barrel... yawn... the firearms have no soul...

Might as well just go buy yourself a Glock 19 and be done with it... they are all ugly, might as well have reliable and cheap ugly... the only visually interesting firearms are reproductions of models almost 100 years old...

I guess as long as we are limited to gunpowder driving a projective, firearm technology is pretty mature... and firearms being durable goods, they rarely wear out, leaving the marketing departments with a conundrum!
I will put my SD9 up against ANY Glock 19. I ain't skeerd.

I'll take my 43X and my LCP Max thank you. The only two firearms you will ever need. But for us gun people its all about "want"...lol

I wish S&W hadn't quit making the 3rd generation semi auto's. They were beautiful, solid pistols. They keep changing around their plastic versions. Too much, "out with the old, and in with the new".

The only S&W semi auto I would buy now would be a long barreled Model 41. And that's because I already have the short barrel. The Model 52 is a also beautiful target pistol. Another one they shouldn't have discontinued.

Back