S-Video question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

hey all, my friend bought this 7 pin S-Video to 3 RCA cable. Looks like the one in this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Pin-S-Video-To-3-R...93%3A1|294%3A50

He connected it to his laptop and only can get video but no sound.

I know that S-Video is only for video.
Does anyone have this cable and managed to get it to work? or is it just for video? or know if my friend's laptop can support this cable type?

Laptop is Dell Inspiron 1525.

thanks in advance

He wants audio and video OUT of his laptop and IN to something else? Like what?

I doubt the cable is the problem. There is probably some audio output on the laptop, maybe a headphone jack, something that provides audio.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
He wants audio and video OUT of his laptop and IN to something else? Like what?

I doubt the cable is the problem. There is probably some audio output on the laptop, maybe a headphone jack, something that provides audio.

Sorry forgot to mention it. from LAPTOP to TV.
Yes he has a headphone jack which we can use and will work for sure, but if this cable works for both audio and video, then he will use it.

Last edited:
I don't remember the details of it, but a friend of mine had a notebook which had an "S-Video" plug that could take more pins then the standard S-Video plug. Those additional pins also carried audio. Standard S-Video does not do audio, but this port was basically the same but could take a couple extra pins. Don't remember much more then that though.

Start with the Dell website and look up the notebook, it should tell you the specs and available ports on it

Originally Posted By: sicko
I don't remember the details of it, but a friend of mine had a notebook which had an "S-Video" plug that could take more pins then the standard S-Video plug. Those additional pins also carried audio. Standard S-Video does not do audio, but this port was basically the same but could take a couple extra pins. Don't remember much more then that though.

Start with the Dell website and look up the notebook, it should tell you the specs and available ports on it

yes that's true. there are 4 or 7 pins for s-video. this laptop has a 7 pin s-video and the cable has 7 pins as well.

will check dell's website tonight.

S-video is only 4 pin. What looks like a 7-pin S-video is called 1x7 mini-DIN connector. Depending on the laptop model, it is used to carry RGB of the Composite signal or S-Video or Component video plus digital audio (in S/PDIF protocol).

Older adapters will have both S-Video and Component outputs, newer just RGB Composite for the video side.

Dell adapters terminate S/PDIF signal with an RCA-format jack, but it is still digital, so it has to go into a digital input on the receiver. BNC and Toslink are other possible physical connections for the S/PDIF, but they are not used on computers.

For the analog output you have to use a headphone jack out. I doubt your friend's TV has an S/PDIF input. 7-pin DIN is used to carry analog audio (so adapter would terminate in RCA red and white jacks) in other consumer electronic devices (like cable boxes), but I have not heard of Dell using it for anything other than digital audio.

HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back