S class Tires

Lets have a discussion and some input. My 15 S550 with staggered 19's needs tires and I'm switching from RunFlats. Looking at and seeing a lot of good things about new Conte. DWS 06 plus, also new Mich. PSAS4. A lot of Mercedes Forum people have commented positively about the General GMax AS05. All thoughts are appreciated.

I hope you get some good input. I'd love to get those run flats off of my E class. Mine are the Pirelli Centurato P7's in 18" and all the same size (4matic). They are pretty harsh riding IMO.

What are you going to do for a spare?

Lets have a discussion and some input. My 15 S550 with staggered 19's needs tires and I'm switching from RunFlats. Looking at and seeing a lot of good things about new Conte. DWS 06 plus, also new Mich. PSAS4. A lot of Mercedes Forum people have commented positively about the General GMax AS05. All thoughts are appreciated.

Where are you based? Is an A/S even necessary?

Live in Western Pennsylvania and yes, I want to stick to All Seasons. Currently have Pirelli RunFlats down to 3/32. Still OK even in our last rains. I have the DWS06 on my Volvo XC60 R design 20" and from what I'm seeing, a lot of people really like these.

I think on a Mercedes, you can’t go wrong with Michelin, Conti(General is just a generation or two behind the main brand) or Pirelli.
Michelin did announce the Premier series is going bye-bye in favor of the CrossClimate 2, which is 3PMSF marked and competes in the new “all-weather” category. However, your S-Class uses more sport-pretense sizing. Look at the DWS06 or the Pilot 3A/S+/Pilot All-Season 4. The Primacy Tour A/S might also be a good choice.

you’ll be ditching the factory run-flats, so keep AAA handy.

I think on a Mercedes, you can’t go wrong with Michelin, Conti(General is just a generation or two behind the main brand) or Pirelli.
Michelin did announce the Premier series is going bye-bye in favor of the CrossClimate 2, which is 3PMSF marked and competes in the new “all-weather” category. However, your S-Class uses more sport-pretense sizing. Look at the DWS06 or the Pilot 3A/S+/Pilot All-Season 4. The Primacy Tour A/S might also be a good choice.

you’ll be ditching the factory run-flats, so keep AAA handy.
I'm a fan of the Michelin tires at Costco. They come with a 5 year road hazard warranty and the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 gets good reviews. The local Costco gets all sorts of cars in there like Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc so they don't screw up the rims and they usually seem to know what they're doing and they're good with their appointment times. They usually alternate between discounts on Bridgestone and Michelin, right now they're doing $150 off Michelin til 9/26.

I've owned at least 1 set of each tire you are considering. I'd go with the DWS'. GMax is a great tire for the $$ but a little too much roar for me. Michelin is also surprisingly loud for the tread pattern. Conti's seem to have a more point & shoot responsive feel.

I would want to know how you drive this car before recommending tires.

Do you push it? Enjoy the handling? See any snow or colder weather?

All seasons don’t handle that well. Performance summer tires are downright dangerous in snow.

Been there (snow, ice freezing rain on high performance summer tires) in an S-class when the forecast changed.

If there is a chance of colder weather and precipitation- then the all season performance tires are a good recommendation. I’ve got the Michelin AS 3+ on mine. They are a performance tire that has an all season rating, but understand that while they still suck in snow, it’s that they just suck less than performance tires in snow.

I had a set of Continental DWS on another car. A solid all around performer. Slightly better than the AS 3+ in snow, still not good, not a snow tire by any stretch, but better than the AS 3+, and that came at the expense of some at the limit handling.

The recommendations are for all season touring or performance tires. Good tires. But I’m not sure how you intend to use the car.

Thanks everybody for your input. I made a final decision on the General G max AS05. I noticed on TireRack the new DWS06 Plus front 245/45/19 is NOT XL rated of which my S requires. Confirmed this with Mercedes dealer and with Continental directly. Of course the dealer can only recommend RunFlats but Continental recommended the Generals. The new Mich. PSAS4 is getting some mixed reviews on noise and road feel and only OK on snow. For $400 less a set, the Generals make sense. I just want more than 10000 mi out of my rear set, Continental was emphatic about standing behind there warranty and compensation for repurchases. Time will tell.

Thanks everybody for your input. I made a final decision on the General G max AS05. I noticed on TireRack the new DWS06 Plus front 245/45/19 is NOT XL rated of which my S requires. Confirmed this with Mercedes dealer and with Continental directly. Of course the dealer can only recommend RunFlats but Continental recommended the Generals. The new Mich. PSAS4 is getting some mixed reviews on noise and road feel and only OK on snow. For $400 less a set, the Generals make sense. I just want more than 10000 mi out of my rear set, Continental was emphatic about standing behind there warranty and compensation for repurchases. Time will tell.
Any updates on the GMAX's?

Back