Hankook to supply OEM Tires to Benz S-class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Sad move
frown.gif

Where's Hattaresguy?

Its a joke, not that the stock Conti's were anything to write home about.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Typical pattern for JH to blame others for the things he said in this thread. If one isn't a 'blue blood' no reason to take offense.

But, it should be noted that even before he read that comment he posted "he despises" then went back to cover himself with an unnoted EDIT. So it's clear who the real instigator is here. I never named any poster here prior to being quoted.

Sad that a moderator can't hold himself to a higher standard. Sad but all too typical now.

Enjoy your vacation.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
[censored] tire, remove and replace with Michelins right away.

Assumes facts not in evidence!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
At the big Benz sedan price level, the perception of quality matters more than the reality.
Michelins are perceived as quality tires.
Hankooks are perceived as decent inexpensive tires.
Bad enough that Honda has gone form Michelin to Dunlop for the LX trim levels.
For DB to select Hankook for its premier sedan is a serious marketing mistake, however good the Hankooks used might be.

Good points, but I think that buyers are more interested in the car's unique super-high-end features not offered by a competitor.

What features would those be not offered by BMW or Audi?
confused.gif

Lots, and don't get me going on the big BMW's. I drove a 750I over the weekend since my business partner and I are thinking about picking up some cars. Not impressed, but at least it didn't have SK tires on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for going off topic guys...
smirk.gif
But since you guys are going there-two points:

1. JH, mod or not, can have an opinion. He's not playing god or anything...

2. JH, not going to lie, it did come a little bit off the high end there.
whistle.gif
That said, I understood where you were coming from.....

36.gif

Back on topic, all the automakers have been switching different companies like crazy for the last few years. If lower end cars are getting Michelin, why can't Benz have Hankook? Seems to who like to race like Hankook's tires....so I'm guessing Benz just decided to give them a try.

You guys act like they put Falkens on or something..
lol.gif

JHZR2's posting doesn't need to be "held to a higher standard", why should it? He has the ability to moderate, meaning that if somebody is out of line, he can remove their post, lock a thread if it goes downhill...etc.

...should have locked this thread already. I can understand letting it go for a bit, but if we all don't get back on track one of the mods will have to shut it down.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
At the big Benz sedan price level, the perception of quality matters more than the reality.
Michelins are perceived as quality tires.
Hankooks are perceived as decent inexpensive tires.
Bad enough that Honda has gone form Michelin to Dunlop for the LX trim levels.
For DB to select Hankook for its premier sedan is a serious marketing mistake, however good the Hankooks used might be.

Good points, but I think that buyers are more interested in the car's unique super-high-end features not offered by a competitor.

What features would those be not offered by BMW or Audi?
confused.gif

Lots, and don't get me going on the big BMW's. I drove a 750I over the weekend since my business partner and I are thinking about picking up some cars. Not impressed, but at least it didn't have SK tires on it.

List some of them then
smile.gif

I know you are an MB guy, and that's cool (hence my reference to you, LOL!) but with respect to actual features, I would assume that on the high-end, the three premium German marques are a lot more similar than they are different. How they are presented and such? Certainly, one can have a preference. I like BMW over MB there, you like the reverse. That's why it is awesome we have choices right?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: yonyon

JHZR2's posting doesn't need to be "held to a higher standard", why should it? He has the ability to moderate, meaning that if somebody is out of line, he can remove their post, lock a thread if it goes downhill...etc.

...should have locked this thread already. I can understand letting it go for a bit, but if we all don't get back on track one of the mods will have to shut it down.

Hurry! Let's put it back on then!

Okay, if not Hankook, who do you guys think should put tires on the S class?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: yonyon

Hurry! Let's put it back on then!

Okay, if not Hankook, who do you guys think should put tires on the S class?

Michelin is, IIRC, generally the tire of choice for BMW. Not sure about Audi. My car shipped with PS2's on it. Michelin is, IMHO, a premium brand that makes top-shelf tires. That aligns nicely with sedans being sold as top-shelf themselves.

Michelin is, IIRC, generally the tire of choice for BMW.

Conti is/was a major supplier to BMW as well.

I'm sure Mercedes Benz has a reason for choosing the tires they do. And they have every right to choose whatever tire they put on their cars as much as every person who has money chooses what to buy with it. If ya don't like 'em, don't buy 'em.
grin.gif

Hankook actually makes some pretty good performance tires.

In a more growing "world economy", the lines become more and more blurred. It's just going to get to the point where there are no longer any lines.

A couple of thoughts:

The classic definition of "Old World" (1st world) would be Europe, with the "New World" (2nd world) being America, and the 3rd world being everything else. The term 3rd world has been extended to mean every country that isn't on par with the old and new worlds - and I think a country like South Korea would qualify as an "recently emerged" country and therefore not 1st or 2nd.

But these definitions are not only somewhat colonial, but don't lend themselves to changes like South Korea has experienced. In a lot of respects, some countries in South America have 3rd world characteristics. It would be wrong to think that the definitions perfectly fit.

2nd thought:

How does a smaller tire manufacturer become one of the majors? At some point in time, it would need to break into the big leagues by supplying a prestigious car manufacturer.

What about MB? What's in it for them?

If they are going to break into the Asian market in a big way, they almost have to have a manufacturing facility in the region - and wouldn't it be a good idea to have a good supplier that not only can MB learn how to deal with the differences in culture (yes, it is a problem), but one where others in the region can emulate.

I see this as a "dipping the toe in the water" sort of thing.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Couple things:

It does not say Hankook is the "exclusive supplier"

It says:

Quote:
As of market launch, the new luxury sedan will initially be fitted with Hankook Tire Ventus Prime2 tires in size 245/55 R 17 102 W ex works.

[emphasis added]

The smallest wheel the car comes with in the US is 18...

Great point. DB may use Hankook as OEM tire supplier in some markets where it makes sense but not in others, like US where the Hankook brand may have negative perceived impact on brand image.

JH can complain about Ford Explorers getting Hankooks also.

Hankook h727 get great reviews, and there Ipike 409 snows were amazingly long wearing, good snow traction and good handling for a snow.

I do try to buy North American products to repair my vehicles, I feel strongly against buying Chinese products, because the quality is awful and buying that [censored] makes it harder for companies who build quality to stay in business. I also have seen numerous [censored] USA clutches and converters go bad

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
A couple of thoughts:

The classic definition of "Old World" (1st world) would be Europe, with the "New World" (2nd world) being America, and the 3rd world being everything else. The term 3rd world has been extended to mean every country that isn't on par with the old and new worlds - and I think a country like South Korea would qualify as an "recently emerged" country and therefore not 1st or 2nd.

I've never heard that definition.

My understanding was always that it originated during the Cold War era:
-1st world, nations allied with the U.S.
-2nd world, nations allied with the Soviets
-3rd world, everything else

But now, First Word commonly refers to the developed countries, which most people would say includes South Korea.

Here's what Wikipedia says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World
Quote:
The concept of the First World first originated during the Cold War, involving countries that were aligned with the United States. These countries were largely capitalistic and self-proclaimed democracies. After the fall of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War, the meaning "First World" took on a new meaning applicable to the times, coming to be largely synonymous with developed countries or highly developed countries (depending on which definition is intended). The concept has a strong evolutionist bias, envisioning "development" as a linear path with Western civilization's industrial and economic advancements as the ultimate goal.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Couple things:

It does not say Hankook is the "exclusive supplier"

It says:

Quote:
As of market launch, the new luxury sedan will initially be fitted with Hankook Tire Ventus Prime2 tires in size 245/55 R 17 102 W ex works.

[emphasis added]

The smallest wheel the car comes with in the US is 18...

Sounds like it will be offered in other markets. I haven't seen a 17" wheel as OE fit on an S class in years.

I am personally not a fan of Hankook, but they make some good tires and they need to get their foot in the door with a high end manufacturer to prove they can play with the big dogs.

I actually see a lot of Hankooks (and even off-brands) on older luxury vehicles around here, and there are a lot of them here. These are large, expensive tires, and most of the drivers drive conservatively and aren't looking for the absolute higher performance. For most drivers the car is the status symbol and not the tire. It's not as if there are a whole lot of tires with white lettering, except maybe race tires where the manufacturer is effectively advertising.

Additionally, the older BMW 750s and MB S-Class cars are pretty cheap, so the owners might additionally be price conscious when it comes to replacing the tires.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

You guys act like they put Falkens on or something..
lol.gif

Ugh, I see those things on so many good cars.

Why spend the money on a good car, than shod it with [censored] rubber? That's like getting a date with Jessica Alba and taking her to Wendy's, ugh.

I hate badge owners who don't care or know about what they have.

Last edited:
That's like getting a date with Jessica Alba and taking her to Wendy's, ugh.

I'm sure Alba looks great, even while stuffing herself with a quarter-pounder with cheese.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back