Ryobi Trimmer-Repair Ideas(or Replace?)

I have a hand-me-down Ryobi trimmer that I think I've reached a crossroads at.

I don't have the exact model in front of me, but it has a 2013 build date on it and is one of the 26?cc 2-strokes. It came to me with a hedge trimmer attachment in addition to the straight shaft trimmer, and I have since added a pole saw that I use fairly often. The pole saw at least claims to work with about a half dozen different brands, so if I buy a replacement I'm not locked into buying another Ryobi.

In any case, it seems to have the typical symptoms that these show after a few years of use. It can be difficult to start, sometimes revs sluggishly, sometimes dies when I rev it or when I let off the throttle, and sometimes will only run on choke or at least half choke.

It has a new spark plug, fresh fuel lines, a new fuel frit and a new gas cap. The engine has good compression(~110psi cold) so seems to have life left in it. A lot of people seem to like tossing $10 Chinese carb replacements, but this one has a Walbro carb on it and I'm hesitant to toss it-I took it apart and cleaned it to the extent I felt I could without damaging gaskets, and am considering getting a full gasket set(about $8) so that I can really go through the carb(any thoughts on that vs. outright replacement?). These Ryobis use something like Chore Boy or some other metal gauze in the muffler, so I did what I've seen in a couple of Youtube videos which is heat the whole muffler with a torch until cherry red and it stops smoking. There wasn't a ton of carbon in the exhaust port when I did this(and the piston didn't have any visible scuffing) but I still got it as clear as I could.

Each repair I've done seems to get it running a little better, but at the end of the day it's sometimes just not cutting it and is very inconsistent. I usually run it with .095 line and some days it will seem like nothing can stop it while other days I end up swapping out to .080 just so that I can get it to stick with me long enough to finish the yard(or throw in the towel, call my FIL, and ask if I can borrow his battery Roybi that at least always works even if it's not that powerful).

First of all, before I give up, is there anything else I should be trying with this? A carb kit and maybe a complete replacement muffler(or just hacking a bunch of gauze out of the old one) seem like possibilities.

Barring that, what would you all suggest buying to replace it? I've heard enough mixed bad stuff about Ryobi that I'm not sure I want to go that route, and Echo, Poulan, Weed-Eater, and a few other brands are all claimed to be compatible with the other attachments I have(which I don't want to give up). I've even run across references to there being a couple of Stihl models that will work with them, although I don't know if I want to go there or, for that matter, spend that kind of money if I don't know for sure they'll work.

Spark arrestor?
The spark arrestor, such that it is, is the wire gauze packed muffler. There's no separate screen you can pull out to torch or replace.

That's why you torch the whole muffler and hope for the best.

After a few years, the metering diaphragm will get stiff and then it will not hold a tune. You can buy them on Amazon separate from all the other kit parts. Generally it is the only part of the carb that ever needs replaced if you already have the modern clear pump diaphragm.

I’d personally probably get another if I was putting that much money into repairing and it was giving those symptoms but I do understand you wanting to keep the attachments though personally I’d want all of those on their own individual tool but that’s just me. I personally have had good luck with Stihl, Echo and many other brands for small engine stuff. I’m really happy with the Stihl weed eater I bought about 3 weeks ago. I know it will last me many years. I haven’t really ever had Ryobi. I definitely would stick with gas though we had purchased a Milwaukee weed eater it was so underpowered and kept having issues with the head we returned it and I bought the Stihl for us it’s great. I’ve not been impressed with any battery unit I’ve used which is about 3 different ones now. We’ve owned tons of brands of gas my dad used to use one for a season couldn’t get it started the next so he would go buy a different brand and keep buying different brands each time lol. Maybe find a newer Ryobi if it could work with your attachments.

The attachments that interchange by uncoupling the shaft in the middle are (were?) an industry standard. You can mix brands.

The attachments that interchange by uncoupling the shaft in the middle are (were?) an industry standard. You can mix brands.
Not exactly. There are a few different types of couplers. The Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, and Expand-It tools have different couplers and won't fit right in other trimmers. There is a youtube video out there somewhere showing the differences.

If you can still find it, the Toro "full crank" 2 stroke uses the same attachments. I have one that I use as a limb trimmer, and it's been quite good. The one I have uses a very quiet catalytic muffler, and has no 2 stroke exhaust smell, also it burns off all the oil, so no clogging.

I have mostly Echo equipment, but that little Toro really has held up. $129msrp

toro-power-heads-51948-694x594.ashx

+1 on the toro full crank. I have one and it is awome for attachments. Yes toro and ryobi now use the same engine. But the toro is dressed with better stuff like muffer, recoil, carb, magneto, and etc.

I would say in my opinion the only negative aspect is that with the attachments connected, it is very heavy and cumbersome with relation to its weight / performance ratio. It is balanced heavy on the engine side.

Pay very close attention to the clutch bearing, on these toro's the bearing is small and when it seizes up, it will melt the entire front cover and render the whole unit worthless. If it sounds dry, replace it before it seizes. Also you cannot get internal engine parts like pistons, cylinders, crank seals like you can on the echo's but it is still very much worth owning.

If you can still find it, the Toro "full crank" 2 stroke uses the same attachments. I have one that I use as a limb trimmer, and it's been quite good. The one I have uses a very quiet catalytic muffler, and has no 2 stroke exhaust smell, also it burns off all the oil, so no clogging.

I have mostly Echo equipment, but that little Toro really has held up. $129msrp

toro-power-heads-51948-694x594.ashx
+1

I have one of these I bought 5+ years ago and it's still going strong. I have a mini-tiller, brush cutter, pole saw, and weed trimmer attachments for it. I also have an extension for the pole saw which helps for reaching the branches. It isn't the lightest machine, but it has been used and abused, dropped, etc, and has held up well.

I have a hand-me-down Ryobi trimmer that I think I've reached a crossroads at.

I don't have the exact model in front of me, but it has a 2013 build date on it and is one of the 26?cc 2-strokes. It came to me with a hedge trimmer attachment in addition to the straight shaft trimmer, and I have since added a pole saw that I use fairly often. The pole saw at least claims to work with about a half dozen different brands, so if I buy a replacement I'm not locked into buying another Ryobi.

In any case, it seems to have the typical symptoms that these show after a few years of use. It can be difficult to start, sometimes revs sluggishly, sometimes dies when I rev it or when I let off the throttle, and sometimes will only run on choke or at least half choke.

It has a new spark plug, fresh fuel lines, a new fuel frit and a new gas cap. The engine has good compression(~110psi cold) so seems to have life left in it. A lot of people seem to like tossing $10 Chinese carb replacements, but this one has a Walbro carb on it and I'm hesitant to toss it-I took it apart and cleaned it to the extent I felt I could without damaging gaskets, and am considering getting a full gasket set(about $8) so that I can really go through the carb(any thoughts on that vs. outright replacement?). These Ryobis use something like Chore Boy or some other metal gauze in the muffler, so I did what I've seen in a couple of Youtube videos which is heat the whole muffler with a torch until cherry red and it stops smoking. There wasn't a ton of carbon in the exhaust port when I did this(and the piston didn't have any visible scuffing) but I still got it as clear as I could.

Each repair I've done seems to get it running a little better, but at the end of the day it's sometimes just not cutting it and is very inconsistent. I usually run it with .095 line and some days it will seem like nothing can stop it while other days I end up swapping out to .080 just so that I can get it to stick with me long enough to finish the yard(or throw in the towel, call my FIL, and ask if I can borrow his battery Roybi that at least always works even if it's not that powerful).

First of all, before I give up, is there anything else I should be trying with this? A carb kit and maybe a complete replacement muffler(or just hacking a bunch of gauze out of the old one) seem like possibilities.

Barring that, what would you all suggest buying to replace it? I've heard enough mixed bad stuff about Ryobi that I'm not sure I want to go that route, and Echo, Poulan, Weed-Eater, and a few other brands are all claimed to be compatible with the other attachments I have(which I don't want to give up). I've even run across references to there being a couple of Stihl models that will work with them, although I don't know if I want to go there or, for that matter, spend that kind of money if I don't know for sure they'll work.

Funnily enough, I have the same trimmer - and similar problems.

I've cleaned the carb, new spark plug and removed the in-line fuel filter. It runs well enough to do the job without too much restarting. I plan on running it to the ground and/or moving it to my investment property to see out its days.

Tossing up between a stihl 2 stroke or a Honda GX25/GX35 trimmer to replace it

Ryobi has a nice line of battery tools but I'm much less impressed with their gas equipment. I tossed my Ryobi trimmer for an Echo several years ago and have been very happy with my decision.

Ryobi = Homelite right?

Though it’s OT for thread we have Ryobi 40v trimmer/blower it was initially fairly impressive but now sounds like tires on a gravel road…

Previously had a JD branded Homelite, replaced with Stihl… even Stihl/Echo/Husqvarna “Homeowner” stuff is way better than box store stuff.

I had a 26cc Ryobi string trimmer I bought new in the later 90's. It ran ok for 8 or so years then it would not run right. I was not into working on OPE at that time so I just set it aside and got a 30cc Ryobi Expandable string trimmer in 2006. It ran real good for some years then it would stall out when it got hot and it seemed certain angles also affected it and the fuel lines started leaking. I bought a kit from Ryobi with the tank and fuel lines & filter. I also bought a new coil from them. All worked well but the non stabilized ethanol fuel did in the carb. I bought a ~$13 carb off ebay along with the mixture adjustment tool kit. It runs great now, smooth from idle through full throttle. I got a Ryobi Brush cutter attachment and it has no problem ripping through thicker growth. In fact the 30cc trimmer is prone to making divots, I got a Ryobi 18V string trimmer. I have to use a string trimmer to cut my front yard because of the rising roots of a huge maple tree. For this the 18V trimmer cuts as well as a mower would, it I didn't have the roots to contend with.

Back