Ryco SynTec - Fully Synthetic Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

Ryco in Australia make good quality oil filters, last time I looked, about 6 months ago, they only had the standard cellulose filters.

But I just could this:
Ryco SynTec Filters

It appears the have a new range of synthetic filters called Ryco SynTec filters. They are:
- 100% synthetic media with wire backing
- Extended Drain and rated at 15,000 KM
- Low Restriction for good start-up flow
- Efficient and rated at 99.8% at 25 microns
- Silicon ADV valve

Unfortunately I can't compare to their Cellulose filters, as I can't find any figures for these.

Has anybody used the Ryco SynTec filters before ?

They make one for my car
smile.gif

syntec-pullapart.jpg

Just found a motor site (MTA of WA) that said the standard Ryco oil filter is 83.2% efficient.

It also looks like these new SynTec filters were only just released earlier this year.

Last edited:
Yeah, just out, they look very good.

I'm going to ask around and see if I can find some, I'll let you know if I do.

Originally Posted By: peejaycruiser
Haven't seen one listed let alone seen one in the flesh. They are apparently replacing the HE line.

The Fram Ultra's you got the other day are full synthetic and rated to 15,000 miles or 24,000KM

Shannow's Fram XG are a blend of synthetic and cellulose fibres and rated to 10,000 miles or 16,000KM.

These full synthetic SynTec's with wire backing are only rated to 15,000KM. I'm thinking that's a little low (assuming a full synthetic oil and a car in good condition).

Been looking for them since I've had nothing else to do lately but no luck. Their facebook page says they're already available at stockists but I went to supercrap and they didn't have any. Might send ryco an email about them.

Haven't seen one listed let alone seen one in the flesh. They are apparently replacing the HE line.

They are replacing the HE line, yes. The HE has been a flop from what I've heard. Not sure why they even released it; a filter that originally cost more than their normal filters but can only do half to a third of many manufacturer suggested intervals. I did pick one up for curiosity's sake on clearance to stick on mums car since it would take forever to do 5000km anyway.

Originally Posted By: chrismo

They are replacing the HE line, yes. The HE has been a flop from what I've heard. Not sure why they even released it; a filter that originally cost more than their normal filters but can only do half to a third of many manufacturer suggested intervals. I did pick one up for curiosity's sake on clearance to stick on mums car since it would take forever to do 5000km anyway.

So how long are the regular cellulose Ryco filters meant to go?

My car's OCI is 15,000KM according to the owners manual, so I was going to do this on a regular Ryco filter. Is that a bad idea. I would be using an A3/B4 synthetic.

I never thought a regular filter couldn't do it. But I'm no filter expert.

Originally Posted By: SR5

The Fram Ultra's you got the other day are full synthetic and rated to 15,000 miles or 24,000KM

Shannow's Fram XG are a blend of synthetic and cellulose fibres and rated to 10,000 miles or 16,000KM.

These full synthetic SynTec's with wire backing are only rated to 15,000KM. I'm thinking that's a little low (assuming a full synthetic oil and a car in good condition).

I was going to try the new Rycos but haven't seen anyone stocking them so thought I would try the Frams out since it was bugger all difference in price.

Been looking for them since I've had nothing else to do lately but no luck. Their facebook page says they're already available at stockists but I went to supercrap and they didn't have any. Might send ryco an email about them.

Yeah 5 thou and change out was a bit low concidering it was meant to be their finest hour. I noticed on supercraps site they're knocking out the HE filters for under $7.

My car's OCI is 15,000KM according to the owners manual, so I was going to do this on a regular Ryco filter. Is that a bad idea. I would be using an A3/B4 synthetic.

All Ryco say from what I can gather is "Ryco oil filters are designed to meet or exceed the vehicle manufacturer’s specification and provide optimal filtration for the specified service interval." Would suggest to me they will do 15000km if that is what is specified for your vehicle. But that's a pretty long bow to draw without Ryco saying they will actually go that distance. It would be nice if they clarified things with an actual mileage the standard filter is designed for.

Why now go with the full synthetic Ryco Syn Tec since it's rated at 15Km just like your OCI.

Originally Posted By: Garak
They need to ship them up here!

I'll include a few with that box of Penrite oil I'm posting to you.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Why now go with the full synthetic Ryco Syn Tec since it's rated at 15Km just like your OCI.

My OM says 15,000 KM or 12 months. I do about 11,000 KM per year.

I was hoping with a good synthetic filter to do annual oil changes with the filter every second year.

A Fram Ultra could do it, but they are not sold locally. Not sure how far I should push the new SynTec filters, given the old Ryco cellulose filters were ment to be up to OEM specs and therefore 15,000 km, as PJC said above.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

My OM says 15,000 KM or 12 months. I do about 11,000 KM per year.

I was hoping with a good synthetic filter to do annual oil changes with the filter every second year.

A Fram Ultra could do it, but they are not sold locally. Not sure how far I should push the new SynTec filters, given the old Ryco cellulose filters were ment to be up to OEM specs and therefore 15,000 km, as PJC said above.

If Ryco said their cellulose filters could do OEM spes (ie, 15,000 Km per your vehicle OEM recommendation), then the full synthetic should be able to do the same or more. If your engine is very clean, then running ~20 Km on a 15 Km rated filter would probably be fine.

The extra tenths will cause my toilets to rotate backwards up here in ILSAC land.
wink.gif

The extra tenths will cause my toilets to rotate backwards up here in ILSAC land.
wink.gif

I know, it's a hard call what to send you.

For the G37 I'm thinking along the lines of
- HPR5 a full synthetic 5W-40 with SN, A3/B4 and MB229.5
or
- 10Tenths Premium 0W-40 that's SN, A3/B3, 100% PAO & Ester, 1200ppm Zn, 600ppm Boron and 9.8 TBN

For the F150
- a Premium Mineral 10W-30 that's SN & GF-5 (yes, a bit boring)
or
- 10Tenths Racing 5W-30 that's SL, A1/B1, 100% PAO & Ester, HTHS = 3.34, TBN = 9.8, 1700ppm Zn and 600ppm Boron (Not an A3/B4 oil, but not a ILSAC oil either). I quite like this one.

Yep, those would probably work.
wink.gif
At my trip to Canadian Tire today, I noticed them trying to clear out more 10w-30 synthetics. This time, it looks like the Castrol 10w-30 synthetics might be history there. If they can convince Wakefield that they're not going to carry a Castrol product, Canadian Tire must be very serious about ridding its shelves of 10w-30 synthetics. I think that was just about the last holdout.

Their filter prices were appalling, with nothing on sale whatsoever.

So I rang up my local stores today, both SuperCheapAuto (SCA) and Repco.

Neither had the Ryco SynTec oil filters in stock, however Repco could see them on their database and could order them in for you. However SCA still had no listing for the ST filters in their computers.

So I rang up my local stores today, both SuperCheapAuto (SCA) and Repco.

Neither had the Ryco SynTec oil filters in stock, however Repco could see them on their database and could order them in for you. However SCA still had no listing for the ST filters in their computers.

Were you able to find out how much they were?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back