rv/marine coolant in car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The store I work at is closing/liquidating.
We have 6 gallons of RV coolant, quite cheap as a result.

It says not to put in cars.

It says that it is propylene glycol (vs ethylene glycol).

I thought it would be easier to find out more, but I'm not seeing any literature on the internet for why it WOULDN'T work for cars. Only that several manufacturers experimented with it for its much lower toxicity, nothing about why it could be bad for a car.

Can someone tell me more, then?
Can I buy this propyelene rv/marine coolant and use it when I refill my coolant after doing the timing belt/water pump on my 1989 mazda 323?
If not, why not?

...as an aside, there was another thread about Nissan coolant. Does my older sister need to use Nissan coolant for her 2010 Versa, and if so, why?
...and what's special about European blue coolants? Besides being blue, and having bittering agents. I got some free Volvo coolant that I've now run in my other 1990 ford wagon for 2yrs, no different I don't think.

thanks!

It's not suitable at all because it most likely doesn't have the corrosion inhibitors required for automotive antifreeze.

Yes you should use the Nissan coolant in the verse especially for topping up. You shouldn't mix formulas.

Am guessing for RV purposes there would not be any anti corrosives, hence the warning for use in a car.

Peak Sierra in Poly Polypropylene based but has these additives

Beware:
RV/Marine Antifreeze is just that. I've never seen "RV COOLANT"

This stuff is Made for pipes on campers, RV's and Houseboats. Because they are above ground the pipes will freeze in the winter if they don't have antifreeze in them.

It would be a quick death for your engine as there is no anti-boiling agents in this stuff. It is only ANTIFREEZE.
The engine would over heat and warp.

If you mixed this stuff in with real antifreeze it would gel and create a big mess that would also create hot spots, potentially clogging your heater core.

It says not to use it in cars.
Listen to their warning.

if this is the pink stuff every store sells in the fall/winter, then Spuerdave and wrcsixeight are correct. it is not a coolant, it is purely an anti freeze compound to put in the plumbing of RV's & Boats, etc. for winter storage, so the pipes don't freeze and burst.

Easy to mistake for washer fluid
frown.gif

If you read the label it doesn't even promise to stay liquid. It just says it won't freeze AND EXPAND. "Guaranteed no-burst".

It could turn slushy on you, in other words.

thanks! I'm cool with this analysis, just wanted to know why! ...since I'd heard of propylene glycol used in automotive antifreeze, too, it seemed potentially logical. Seems there's more to antifreeze than *just* straight ethylene glycol and water?

Originally Posted By: berninicaco3
Seems there's more to antifreeze than *just* straight ethylene glycol and water?

Absolutely. As for RV antifreeze, even the "good" stuff doesn't do all that great in -40 winters. Ask me how I know.
wink.gif

The corrosion inhibitors are different, and a lot of the RV stuff is very diluted. Minus fifty degrees Farenheit burst protection is only about 35 percent glycol, not enough for cold winters in anything driven.

Also, keep in mind that the "burst protection rating" on RV antifreeze does not mean it's liquid. Most turn to slush under even seemingly mild temperatures. Most water pumps won't move slush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back