rust on new rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend of mine gave me some brembo blanks about 2 years ago. i never used it but im considering putting them in. The cosmoline obviously wore off. Before i slap this new rotor in, should i sand down the rust or just leave it? Im just concerned that when bedding in the pads, it will streak the rotor....???

Thoughts?

Last edited:
More than likely there slotted and/or cross drilled. I would recommend again turning them.

I'd take some scotch bright and try to get a much off by hand then just use them. The heat and friction from the pads will take care of the rest. Just take it easy for a few days.

I agree with every one else, not much of an issue. Brake clean or scotch bright's not really necessary, unless it makes you feel more at ease.

Originally Posted By: JRed
My Subaru's rotors rust like crazy when it sits for a while. No problems.

My Nissan, still with stock/factory rotors, is the same. It sounds a bit course when backing out of the garage, but by the end of the street, the rust is gone.

Wire brush the hub surfaces where the wheel contacts the hub and the back side where the hub contacts the rotor (if applicable). Ignore the surface rust on the braking surface.

Paulo speaks the truth.

The rotors should have been stored with a little WD40 on em to prevent rusting.

I'd clean them off with a mild abrasive, like Scotchbrite on a drill. KEEP YOUR WORK EVEN! You can even use a sander with 150 grit if you have a light hand.
Don't omit the seating surfaces of the rotor and hub, as long as you have the sanding stuff out.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: JRed
My Subaru's rotors rust like crazy when it sits for a while. No problems.

My Nissan, still with stock/factory rotors, is the same. It sounds a bit course when backing out of the garage, but by the end of the street, the rust is gone.

Same with my Focus. Our mornings here have been cool and humid, and everything in covered in dew lately. My rotors are always a tiny bit rusty when I drive off in the morning, and the first slow stop sounds ugly. But after that, no noise at all.

Originally Posted By: Knox
More than likely there slotted and/or cross drilled. I would recommend against turning them.

He said that they were "blanks" which means that they were NOT slotted and/or cross drilled.

It IS getting harder and harder to find Brembo rotors like this (they are LONG gone for my ride
frown.gif
), but they still make them for some popular makes/marques.

I agree with the not turning them anyway (why take any miles away from good, quality rotors which are more likely than not VERY straight/true??), and with all of the other suggestions for getting rid of the surface rust.
wink.gif

Tirerack sells the brembro blanks. I have not found them to be any better than any other rotor at your local parts store. The ones I received were made in china.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Tirerack sells the brembro blanks. I have not found them to be any better than any other rotor at your local parts store. The ones I received were made in china.

Then I am glad I was forced into using something else!
wink.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back