Brake Juttering Issue, 93 Volvo 245 Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
In the front I had I nstalled new WBR calipers (premium), Brembo rotors, Textar pads and bleed the system. Severe juttering within 300 miles. Brembo rotors had warped. Car lightly loaded.

Rotors were changed to Volvo OE. Same calipers and pads. Juttering but not as severe. Rotors not warped but changed out. Calipers not sticking. Car lightly loaded.

New Ate rotors and Pagid pads (same company as Textar). Mild juttering after 1,000 miles with the car heavily loaded. Rotors have a 1.25" bluest streak in the center. Car is fully loaded with rocket box and mountain bikes on a 6,000+ mile trip out west.

Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts or advice.

Sam

No clue as to old Volvo front ends. On an old BMW, brake judder is often caused by worn upper control arm bushings. Used Pagid pads on the 528e. They need to be bedded in. Blued rotors , pad glazing. Loaded. Sounds like the brakes were being over driven. Slow down and anticipate stops better.
grin2.gif

When you say "juttering", does that mean the steering wheel shakes when the brakes are applied?

Originally Posted by grampi
When you say "juttering", does that mean the steering wheel shakes when the brakes are applied?

Yes. Steering wheel shakes, peddle bounces slightly.

Sam

Originally Posted by andyd
No clue as to old Volvo front ends. On an old BMW, brake judder is often caused by worn upper control arm bushings. Used Pagid pads on the 528e. They need to be bedded in. Blued rotors , pad glazing. Loaded. Sounds like the brakes were being over driven. Slow down and anticipate stops better.
grin2.gif

Always gently driven even on the 7% grade descent from Flagstaff to Sedona.

Sam

Is the brake pedal squishy at any point? Perhaps you have a collapsing brake hose or failing master cylinder / brake booster. Really with the age of the vehicle it could be many things including worn steering components.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Is the brake pedal squishy at any point? Perhaps you have a collapsing brake hose or failing master cylinder / brake booster. Really with the age of the vehicle it could be many things including worn steering components.
Calipers are the only remaining variable.

New MC, brake lines, tie rods, stabilizer links, struts, bushings. I'm beginning to think the new calipers were not machined correctly.

Sam

Do you have the older calipers you could throw on to try? Also is it more than one wheel affected?

It would appear to be both front wheels. Old calipers returned for core.

Is there any rust on the hub behind the rotor preventing the rotor from sitting perfectly flat? I would measure your hub runout with dial indicator

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
Do you have the older calipers you could throw on to try? Also is it more than one wheel affected?

It would appear to be both front wheels. Old calipers returned for core.

Darn... Well I would say it's most likely the calipers then considering what you have done and all the parts being new.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by mattd
Is there any rust on the hub behind the rotor preventing the rotor from sitting perfectly flat? I would measure your hub runout with dial indicator

No rust. Any debris removed with wire brush air tool. My shop wants to measure hub, check hearings and possibly replace calipers (under warranty) when I return.

Originally Posted by TTK
Get genuine Volvo pads.

I've run non OE pads for years without any issues. Running PBR Deluxe Organics on the sedan - over 30k - exceptional brake performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel
Are the brakes dragging? Wheels too hot to touch?

No. Brakes are cool to touch. In NM on I 40 I let the car drift to a stop at the top of an remote exit. Stopping the car in the last 10' with the parking brake. I could easily touch both front rotors.

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
Originally Posted by zorobabel
Are the brakes dragging? Wheels too hot to touch?

No. Brakes are cool to touch. In NM on I 40 I let the car drift to a stop at the top of an remote exit. Stopping the car in the last 10' with the parking brake. I could easily touch both front rotors.

How long have you had this car? Please share it's history.

Purchased Feb 1995 from VCNA employee. All records since new. Meticulous maintenance. It's a Classic, #1446 of the last 1600 Volvo 240's made.

On my 1990 Volvo 240 wagon, I bought CENTRIC 90939019 kit for the front. $92.79 at Rock Auto. High carbon rotors and brake pads for both sides.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7206268&cc=1287031&jsn=387

Not one problem out of that set. Still running the factory calipers. Did not use a dial indicator to check for run out. I think they have been installed just over two years now.

Sounds like to me your calipers are not working right, or you have a bent wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back