Running 40:1 in a 50:1 world.

I have been running 40:1 now for a while with regular ethanol free pump gas and red armor oil.
My echo saws smoke a little bit more if I let them idle for say 20 seconds or more then I get back on the throttle.
Biggest change I noticed is the 60cc echo pops on the first pull most of the time and if I'm quick I can get the 40cc saw to start on the first pull. They never did that with 50:1 and I have had the 40cc echo for 12 years and the 60cc echo for 6 years.

I have been running 40:1 now for a while with regular ethanol free pump gas and red armor oil.
My echo saws smoke a little bit more if I let them idle for say 20 seconds or more then I get back on the throttle.
Biggest change I noticed is the 60cc echo pops on the first pull most of the time and if I'm quick I can get the 40cc saw to start on the first pull. They never did that with 50:1 and I have had the 40cc echo for 12 years and the 60cc echo for 6 years.

Go back to 50 :1 and see what happens.

I can't find any information what to run in my Polaris Xplorer 300 2 stroke as it has oil injection. It sat for a few years so the oil pump lost it's prime. I've been running 32:1 in it. The oil pump primed. The smoke is ridiculous and it doesn't like to idle long before fouling the plug. Runs great, though!

Probably has way more to do with your carb tuning than it does 40:1 vs 50:1.

None of my Stihl items will run right with a heavy mix. My Jonsered chain saw runs fine with it.

I'm running Echo commercial grade trimmer and leaf blower. Mine also do not run well with a heavier mix.

I NEVER run 50:1 in anything. In my big Echo power blower I run 32:1. In my Homelite saw in run 25:1, the same in a my Chi-Com Salem Master large saw. (Which has a 25:1 sticker on it). For my Echo hedge trimmer I also run 32:1.

I don't foul plugs, and the only smoke I'll get is if I idle for over 1 or 2 minutes, then nail it.

unLjKhg.jpg

50:1 is for emissions per Stihl:

"Modern internal combustion engines, in particular single-cylinder internal combustion engines, are operated with a lean mixture for environmental reasons; this may cause an increased operating temperature. In order to ensure a satisfactory cooling action, a corresponding volume stream of cooling air must flow through the motor housing. On the other hand, increased operating temperatures also cause a corresponding heating of attached parts, for example, the exhaust gas muffler."

I run 32:1 (red armor) in all my two strokes.

I NEVER run 50:1 in anything. In my big Echo power blower I run 32:1. In my Homelite saw in run 25:1, the same in a my Chi-Com Salem Master large saw. (Which has a 25:1 sticker on it). For my Echo hedge trimmer I also run 32:1.

I don't foul plugs, and the only smoke I'll get is if I idle for over 1 or 2 minutes, then nail it.

unLjKhg.jpg
Yeah things that run wide open all the time like weed eaters and leaf blowers should never run 50:1.
The electrode arm on my redmax weed eater was getting scorched so I went to 40:1 I rarely cut a lot of big trees so I didn't know if the saws would like 40:1.

Yeah, 30-40 to 1 for me. Never seem to foul plugs as I try to tune the carbs to chocolate brown.

In my teens I used to run 20 to 1 in my 1984 IT200, which probably was a bit much, as the pipe would carbon up every couple years, and my t-shirts had oil spots on my back... It may have had like 600+ hrs on the top end though! Lots of road riding, MX tracks, for 6 years I had it, never really thought about it, just put gas in it, cleaned the air filter a couple times a year and rode.

Same here on 40:1. I get some smoke out of my Ryobi leaf blower and string trimmer if I let them idle then nail it. My Stihl saw is the same. I will tolerate a little smoke for better performance and life.

Just my $0.02

What I want to know, is what am I going to "improve", only in regards to my equipment, by running 50:1 instead of 40:1?
Emissions.
I wonder if the man ever bothered to figure 50:1 but your replacing stuff twice as often. They probably looked at tail pipe emissions and figure "meh the engine won't immediately fail on that little oil".

I’ve been away for a bit but I‘d swear the richer than 50:1 used to be akin to the 3k OCI in cars. That doesn’t seem to be the case in this thread.

I run 50:1 TruFuel in all of my 2-stroke. I go through a couple of cans per year. I hope not to learn a bad lesson in another half a decade when my stuff starts to break down. So far so good.

I’ve been away for a bit but I‘d swear the richer than 50:1 used to be akin to the 3k OCI in cars. That doesn’t seem to be the case in this thread.

I run 50:1 TruFuel in all of my 2-stroke. I go through a couple of cans per year. I hope not to learn a bad lesson in another half a decade when my stuff starts to break down. So far so good.
Trufuel is the worst. I would probably run e10 at 40:1.

Back