I need 2 stroke oil and ratio advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

Ive got a number of 2 strokes

86 Johnson 15hp
Echo line trimmer
Echo Timberwolf 590 chain saw
Echo Backpack blower (biggest they make)

All call for 50:1 except the outboard with calls for 100:1 (I run 50 to 1 in it though)

Sadly ive never given much though to the 2 stroke oil i used. I need some solid advice for an absolute top tier oil i can use for all of them. Im also thinking of going to 40 to 1 in all of them as its an easy 3oz per gallon mix

Thoughts? I know very little about 2 stroke tech

Is the outboard water cooled (via lake water?) --- if so it should use a TCW3 oil. The OPE has to use 2 stroke oil for aircooled engines.

I've never experienced problems running TCw3 in air cooled 2 strokes , but I have been advised that it's a bad idea.

With that said, I'd be more concerned with the fuel than the oil. I run all of my 2 strokes (single stage snowblower, string trimmer, little genrator) on ethanol free gas. Luckily it's readily available for me.

For oil? supertech synthetic 2 stroke oil.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul

Any specific brands other than echo?

Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsereds, Echo... even Poulan - it's all good oil!
I buy the little plastic shrink wrapped "6-pack" of bottles

SuperTech TC-W3 is a nearly impossible-to-beat value.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Hey Guys,

Ive got a number of 2 strokes

86 Johnson 15hp
Echo line trimmer
Echo Timberwolf 590 chain saw
Echo Backpack blower (biggest they make)

All call for 50:1 except the outboard with calls for 100:1 (I run 50 to 1 in it though)

Sadly ive never given much though to the 2 stroke oil i used. I need some solid advice for an absolute top tier oil i can use for all of them. Im also thinking of going to 40 to 1 in all of them as its an easy 3oz per gallon mix

Thoughts? I know very little about 2 stroke tech

I don't understand why you want to run them rich on oil. Don't you trust the manufacturers recommendations?

The boat uses TCW3 oil. This is formulated to run at much cooler temperature than the air cooled small engines. Plus it has a biodegradable aspect to it, since it is exhausted into the water and ends up in the water. Use a decent TCW oil in the boat.

The Echo small engines use JASO-FD rated air cooled small engine oils. If you don't use much of this gas per year, a half gallon of less, I HIGHLY recommend that you just buy the TruFuel premix 50:1 cans at home depot. They are a smart buy for many reasons. Home Depot sells a store brand version of this premix fuel for $1 less per can, and it is also excellent.

For my Echo stuff (trimmer, blower, CS-590 saw) I use only the Echo premix fuel. It has worked great. I buy at Home Depot when the stash is getting low.

I've serviced/repaired small engines as a side business going on 15 years now. I've never had any issues running a name brand oil at 50:1 in my machines and neither have any of my customers. Some of the commercial guys even run Amsoil Saber at 100:1 without problems. Whenever there have been breakdowns warranting replacement of the machine it has been due to issues besides the engine. Personally I run the Husqvarna 50:1 semi-synthetic oil because I get a deal on it locally, but anything that is a name brand oil will do just fine.

I have a quart of Amsoil Saber that I've been using for quite a few years at 50:1. Amsoil loves to advertise that you can run it at 100:1 but I stay with the 50:1 because I believe that my cursory 10 minute Google search has provided me more valuable information than their team of engineers with Ph.Ds who have decades of education, training, and experience. I have a chain saw, leaf blower, and string trimmer that I use it in (all Stihl). Since it's all just homeowner duty I don't go through a gallon a year between the three of them unless it's a firewood cutting marathon. In that case I can use more fuel in a day with the chain saw than I can in a year with the other stuff. I mix my fuel in a 1L Mountain Dew bottle. Been using it for over 5 years.... 20mL in, fill with gas, shake. Perfect 50:1. Plus the plastic in Pepsi bottles is immune to petroleum.

I've been using Castrol TTs in my fairly extensive collection of air cooled yard tools, with great results (and high end 2 stroke dirt bikes) . I feel it's a good replacement for the highly prized Mobil 1 MX2t. I get no port plugging, no significant carbon buildup, no piston scoring and quite simply, no problems. It's an FD and EGD rated oil too.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power-TTS-100-Synthetic/dp/B001KOHX0U

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back