Run-flats on the Mini Cooper S

My slightly used Mini Cooper S Roadster came with Bridgestone DriveGuard run-flat tires. For run-flats they are not bad but they are not ideal either. There's no room for a full-size spare. I could potentially put a donut in the trunk but then the trunk would be pretty full. I'm inclined to ditch the run-flats once the current set is worn. I don't see a huge benefit to run-flat tires unless it's an emergency vehicle If I get a puncture with a run-flat I still need to get it replaced after driving 50 miles. If I have a regular tire I can plug it at my own risk and replace it some time later. Would anyone here stick with run-flats, and if so, why?

You stick with a run flat because you have zero room for a spare. This is a DOWNSIDE to your vehicle. For those of use who have AWD cars-it's worse-if your tires are not within 2 or 3/32nds and you have a flat you need 4 tires. Be grateful you only need one.

Option C:
1322167_x600.jpg

Beadlocks on a Mini 🤣

I ditched the runflats after 3 weeks and didn't look back. I usually don't carry anything
in the trunk. That's what I did with any BMW and Mini I owned last 15 years or so.

"Life with your Mini begins when you divorce those bloody run-flats."

If I or my wife happen to have a puncture I'd take a winter wheel (or summer wheel
when winter) out of my garage, drive to the stranded car and fit it. On longer distance
trips I could take a wheel or a tire kit with me but I never did (the Cooper commonly
isn't used on longer distance trips).
I'm running 205/45 R17 Michelin PSS on the Cooper. They're BMW/star marked and
were originally designed for the R56 GP as a no-cost option alternatively to the Kumho
V70A semislicks that came standard on the GP. If available I'd try 215/45 R17 PS4S next.
No complaints about the PSS though.

@CKN: The R59 Roadster has a bigger trunk compared to R56 Hatch and R57 convertible.

I ditched the runflats

"Life with your Mini begins when you divorce those bloody run-flats."

On longer distance
trips I could take a wheel ..tire with me .....the Cooper R56
is used on long distance trips).

@CKN: The R59 Roadster has a bigger trunk compared to R56 Hatch and R57 convertible.
We do use our R56 to travel on short 4-5 day get always that total on average 1200miles. I actually use Bridgestone RF when we go on a longer trip with the R56. It is more for convivence to have extra space for food and luggage. They are by far the nicest riding RF I have ever experienced. I do have a few sets of wheel and tire combos for the R56 DD.

Tires and how they feel are all really each person preference. Tires is is IMHO the hardest thing to choose and to help someone choose for their vehicle when you take into account all aspect i.e. vehicle condition, experience level of driver ,personnel feedback, driving experience level ,etc., etc., etc.

I think every time and that has been very few times I have taken someone's advise and recommendation regarding what tire to get...IT SUCKED!!!
Good thing I didn't have to keep any of them.

IMG_1227_resize_zpsjzr3bdif.jpg

IMG_1853_resize_zpsiqouzv6d.jpg

These are all trips through California and up into Oregon driven in the MINI
PB131378edit_zpsxpamvzhj.jpg

20151116_090631edit_zpsldstjrra.jpg

20151116_121000_001_resize_zpsk5r8u14t.jpg

Now in my other MCS there is only room for 2 passenger and nothing else. :ROFLMAO:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The user who made the comment about the comparing a R59 to a R56 luggage/trunk/hatch space forgot that the rear seat lays down and provides lots of space on Hatchback MINI's! As for a MC convt. I won't own a ***** lookgy MINI.

This is that not so Dailey Driver and 1/2 n1/2....half track half street MINI R56
Yes that is a "big ol' Nitrous Tank😈

Attachments

• 3146t_9.jpg
    3146t_9.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3148t_9.jpg
    3148t_9.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 3164t_9.jpg
    3164t_9.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 9
Ehh, not really. The spring rates and what not are actually designed for them.
No Really I know this absolutely with a fact!!!!! Run Flat Tires will prematurely wear the suspension parts and generally are not the best riding or handling on a MINI Hatchback . R50 & R56. Been into MINIs, the MINI community, MINI parts, MINI Upgrades MINI clubs, MINI rallys, MINI Track days, MINI BBQs etc., . since 2002 and a few other things about MINI's which is now past history.. In fact if you really look carefully you may find I have "touched" in a way many BMW/MINIs all over the world. ;) LOL

I have said I do use them from time to time but if I don't have to trust me I DON"T.

I have to agree. The stiffer and heavier tire will inevitably put more stress to the entire suspension system
than the softer and lighter (conventional) tire will do. It's similar with reduced sidewall profile tires btw..
It's not the springs though, springs are dumb parts that don't wear (except when they rust and break). It's
all the joints, bushings and dampers that will wear quicker with runflats as well as they do on poor roads.

German cars always seem to ride harder and crashier than others, they are more designed to take bumps at speed, which is why you see UK and US reviewers complain about it sometimes... And continental Europe really does have better road quality.

A stiffer, heavier tire would theoretically put more strain on bushings, strut mounts etc but engineering also accounts for that, especially when it is a sporty car which will have stiffer, stronger bushings in the first place.

If you want to roll around without a spare and regular tires that is all fine (my car actually comes that way from the factory) but you need to have a backup plan. A tire can't always be repaired with a plug, even temporarily.

A donut would fit only on the rear. If a front tire gets busted the good rear tire needs to go on the front. I still think regular tires and a tire repair kit and inflator in combination with AAA is my best option. I've only ever had punctures from nails and screws, and the occasional slow leak on my personal road vehicles.

A stiffer, heavier tire would theoretically put more strain on bushings, strut mounts etc but engineering also accounts for that, especially when it is a sporty car which will have stiffer, stronger bushings in the first place.
No they didn't with the MINI's. I notice you have R53 in your signature so you would not likely wear out your lower ball joint and control arm busing as owners of MCS R56's. ;)

The trunk is bigger than I thought. I could fit a full-size spare in there with some room to spare. I'd have to tie it or even a donut down somehow.

Back