ruger single six

What model? I bought a 617 a few years back and it was fine. Of course I prefer my 1950s S&W revolvers, but that’s more because the 617 is a bigger beast.

My ruger .22 single six is meh. I like it well enough, but not my preferred revolver.
617 as well. I think the place I bought it from gave me a crap gun and they new it, but still S&W is responsible.

The trigger on yours is OK? Mine was like trying to pull a donkey. SA way better now though.

I have always found my Ruger SA Blackhawk triggers to be fine. And accurate.

I'm spoiled by my two Colt Troopers with modded triggers. Best TARGET triggers on any guns I own. Not for carry though.

Last edited:
I have the ruger single six and love it. I also have the Ruger Shopkeeper made by Lipsey's and it's the stainless steel version. It's a great gun and I bought it new. It seems to have increased in value a lot since I bought it. I also purchased the Ruger Wrangler with the special holster and I bought some wood grips on ebay. I bought 2 of the Wranglers for $175.00 each and gave one to my son. I bought him the wooden grips and holster too. Next on my list is the Ruger Wrangler birdshead .22 six shooter pistol. Rugers are awesome pistols IMO.

617 as well. I think the place I bought it from gave me a crap gun and they new it, but still S&W is responsible.

The trigger on yours is OK? Mine was like trying to pull a donkey. SA way better now though.

I have always found my Ruger SA Blackhawk triggers to be fine. And accurate.

I'm spoiled by my two Colt Troopers with modded triggers. Best TARGET triggers on any guns I own. Not for carry though.
It’s a bit heavy DA but I don’t really have any complaints.

Now, I have a collection of 1950s-70s S&W, including .22s, so I can understand the difference. Supposedly it was made heavier for reliability (forget where I read that), and folks have always said the newer ones aren’t as good, but mine has been fine for cheap target shooting.

i recently took mine out for several outdoor shooting sessions over the past two weeks. fed it a wide variety of 300 rounds of 22wmr and 700 rounds of 22lr ammo: s&b, fiocchi, aguila, winchester, remington, cci, federal, herters. being a revolver all except one, a herters 22lr round, went bang. i had stashed up on rimfire ammo after the last ammo drought.

if you enjoy shooting then a ruger single six should be yours. it’s built to last forever. single action slows down the ammo burn rate and forces proper target acquisition. rimfire is easy and magnum ammo is less sharp/more pleasant outdoors. i’m not a big fan of 22wmr out of a handgun, but from a ruger single six it is a useful option for protection.
My single six is a stainless model, my best guess 39 years old

It’s a bit heavy DA but I don’t really have any complaints.

Now, I have a collection of 1950s-70s S&W, including .22s, so I can understand the difference. Supposedly it was made heavier for reliability (forget where I read that), and folks have always said the newer ones aren’t as good, but mine has been fine for cheap target shooting.
Single six ruger 22 is singe action not double action

A friend of mine had a Ruger Single Six that belonged to his grandfather who carried it on the NYPD (I'm assuming as a back-up). I'd guess it was from the 60s or maybe late 50s. IIRC you
couldn't reload by opening the cylinder but rather by removing it which wasn't ideal in a life-threatening situation. Am I remembering correctly?

A friend of mine had a Ruger Single Six that belonged to his grandfather who carried it on the NYPD (I'm assuming as a back-up). I'd guess it was from the 60s or maybe late 50s. IIRC you
couldn't reload by opening the cylinder but rather by removing it which wasn't ideal in a life-threatening situation. Am I remembering correctly?
hmmm…a ruger single six might well be a larger-sized backup piece than the police-issued carry sidearm. i cannot imagine that any modern-era metropolitan police department has authorized a single action, rimfire revolver for carry.

loading is one by one through the right side loading gate, with the cylinder remaining in place.

cheers.

hmmm…a ruger single six might well be a larger-sized backup piece than the police-issued carry sidearm. i cannot imagine that any modern-era metropolitan police department has authorized a single action, rimfire revolver for carry.

loading is one by one through the right side loading gate, with the cylinder remaining in place.

cheers.
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly that my friend's grandpa "carried it" but he was on the NYPD and he did give it to my friend who was his grandson.

Back