Ruger GP100- 16 year wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well- this has been a 16 year odyssey. I started doing police work in 1998. Where I worked, in Southeastern Louisiana, a very large part of the law enforcement community still used the .357 magnum. I was poor (still in college) and my dad lent me his Ruger Security Six to use. I went through the academy with it, and immediately began looking for a revolver of my own. I didnt have internet back then, and as most did, I went through my local gunshop for a duty weapon. They were unable to source my first choice, a 4" Smith and Wesson 686 full lug with adjustable sights, nor my second choice, a similarly equipped GP100, so instead I ended up carrying a Glock 17. The order of my preference in revolvers changed over the years. I bought and sold a few revolvers, from Smith Airweights, to an SP101 (GREAT GUN) and most recently a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. After all of these years, and many guns, the stars never aligned for a 4" .357. Until today. I was able to trade my nearly new .45 Colt Blackhawk for a brand new, 4" stainless .357 HB GP100 with adjustable sights. I owe a little on the deal, and will pick it up later on this week. 16 year wait, but it is definitely a bucket list gun. I cant wait to shoot it! Ruger has done some great things with their triggers over the years, much lighter and smoother than I remember the SP101 or Security Six (which my dad still has). I suspect the Security Six will go to my son, and eventually the GP100 to his son. Anyway- sorry for rambling, but I am thrilled!

Yep, the 4" 357 is never out of style, or usefulness. In my stable I have a 4" 586, Security-Six, and a Smith Model 65.

Congrats!

Are GP100 desirable guns? I have one that's double action or whatever it's called, no hammer to cock, trigger does it all. I guess some call it a LEO edition or whatever. Anyway, I hate the dang thing.

I admit to being a Ruger fanboy. I became a raving fanboy when the had my SR40c back to me within TWO WEEKS, and it has functioned flawlessly since ( a year) on a steady diet of my reloads.
I got my GP-100 three years ago, and have done polishing of the hammer strut and hammer pivot pin to smooth out the trigger pull. In addition, I installed a Wolf spring kit to reduce both the hammer and return spring load; VERY EASY to do.
I handled a new GP-100 Match Champion at our local Cabela's, and was it like buttah! From what others have said, the quality of the fit and finish in Rugers has gone up in the last few years.
I suggest that you get a fiber optic front sight, the color assortment of the light tubes will allow you to customize the color for your shooting environment. ENJOY!!

I have had one since college in 1988.

The trigger really is average at best, and a bit harder to tune than a S&W, but a decent 'smith can do a bit to help. And they are a bit heavy for the size.

OTOH, they are built like a tank. The sides are solid and load the action from the bottom. The top strap on the GP100 .357 is as thick as the top strap on my mdl 629 .44mag S&W. The cylinder is beefy. Ruger did not build the GP100 to break, ever.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
They are desirable if thats what you like!

What are they worth? I wouldn't mind getting something else. I only use it for protection from Bears and stuff when hunting, which isn't all that often. I'd rather have something small for CCW.

I bought my first Ruger in 1979. I have a 6" full lug GP100. No doubt, if you run out of ammo, you could seriously hurt somebody by clobbering them with it.

Congrats!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I have had one since college in 1988.

The trigger really is average at best, and a bit harder to tune than a S&W, but a decent 'smith can do a bit to help. And they are a bit heavy for the size.

OTOH, they are built like a tank. The sides are solid and load the action from the bottom. The top strap on the GP100 .357 is as thick as the top strap on my mdl 629 .44mag S&W. The cylinder is beefy. Ruger did not build the GP100 to break, ever.

Man-
You have to check out the trigger on a new one. My buddy has an old 6" GP, and it sucked just like my dad's security six. The brand new one I am buying has the best Ruger revolver trigger I have ever tried. It really is up there with a 686. I don't know what they did, but it is awesome!

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Originally Posted By: 95busa
They are desirable if thats what you like!

What are they worth? I wouldn't mind getting something else. I only use it for protection from Bears and stuff when hunting, which isn't all that often. I'd rather have something small for CCW.

If its in good shape you should be aroun 300-350. DAO is not as widely desired as DA/SA

Nice! I am restricted to a Glock .40 for on duty carry (which is fine by me) but if the doors were open a .357 would still be high in contention although I would probably still end up with a Glock. Our street thugs are much better armed nowadays than when I came on the department, so revolver capacity is getting to be more of a disadvantage than it used to be.

When I first came on we recovered lots of junk $150 .380's (Bryco, Davis and the like) and old revolvers with duct tape on the handles and the wrong ammo rammed into the cylinder. Now we recover lots of Glocks and Mac10 knock offs.

Sorry for the bunny trail, congratulations on your purchase! I have one "bucket list" gun left. A Marlin 1894 .357 carbine, I think I have wanted one for nearly 30 years!

Yeah man, I carried autos on the street for many years. Just never could emotionally let go of the wheelgun. While I am staying home with my son till he goes to school and not doing police work,carrying a full house stainless 357 as a CCW makes me happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back