Which pistol should I take deer hunting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just for fun, but I'm having a hard time making up my mind.. I'm going on a 10 day hunting trip and I am currently taking my Remington 700 .280, Marlin 45/70, Savage 114 300 win mag and my Dan Wesson .357 maximum. The Dan Wesson is very heavy and I'd like to take a smaller revolver. My choices are a 4" Smith .41 mag, a 6.5" Smith .44 Special or a 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk .357. All shoot well and I just want to take one. Which would you choose?

Are you hunting with it or is it just for feeling good about having it at your side?

.44 mag with 240gn JSP (NOT JHP) would be my choice when out and you have to carry something on your hip.

6.5" is a little long but serviceable. Better than a 7.5 or longer. I normally carry a .44mag 4" for my packing sidearm and its even big at times (and I'm very tall)

Be safe!

Bill

I generally just carry a revolver in case one walks close enough for a clean shot with it. There is just something nice about taking one with a pistol. I handload for all of them and have loads that are all good for deer. I've got no bear concerns, but if I was actually carrying for self defense I'd probably choose my 10mm. I think I'm leaning towards the .41 as well.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I carried a pistol when I went deer hunting because there are black bears and mountain lions up there, and a pistol is faster at short ranges.

+1

I carry a side arm as well when hunting in the UP where bear population is larger than down home. When I hunt around here I never carry a side arm, although I run across quite a few who do.

I would carry a revolver with at minimum .357 Magnum caliber. If Autos are your preference, I would go with a Glock .45 ACP or 10mm.

Am I the only one that bothered to read the list of sidearms he has to pick from?

If we're just throwing out stuff we like, I vote 4" S&W 500 Mag. But, as I read it, he has a defined number of guns to pick from, amd most haven't bothered to recommend a gun he actually OWNS. Hard to carry something you don't physically possess.

I cast my vote again for the .41 Mag. Great round, and slightly more compact than the .44. Good penetration from that round with a flat softpoint bullet.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
Am I the only one that bothered to read the list of sidearms he has to pick from?

I missed that it was a .44 sp. (Don't see many 6.5 inch .44 sp. Most ARE mags)

Change my answer to the .41mag.

And agree that we choose from the list.

Be a man and carry a black powder revolver! I have many pistols and I enjoy shooting this the most!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Pistols-Revolvers%7C/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104503680/Pietta-Model-1858-New-Army-44-Caliber-Revolver/731695.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-black-powder-pistols%2F_%2FN-1100201&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104503680

It also can be bought right over the counter with no background check and powder, caps, pistol wads and balls are cheap.

Originally Posted By: ryland
Be a man and carry a black powder revolver! I have many pistols and I enjoy shooting this the most!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Pistols-Revolvers%7C/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104503680/Pietta-Model-1858-New-Army-44-Caliber-Revolver/731695.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-black-powder-pistols%2F_%2FN-1100201&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104503680

It also can be bought right over the counter with no background check and powder, caps, pistol wads and balls are cheap.

I have one and do! But I generally only carry it during black powder season. I've used it to finish off several deer. Amazingly accurate. Mine has the brass frame. I shoot 30gr of pyrodex and round ball. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back