RTS 10-40 In GoldWIng?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother changed the oil in his GoldWing this afternoon - used new Rotella "T" 10-40. After he was done, we looked at the bottles, and noticed "Energy Saving" on the label.

Now he's wondering if there might be a problem with the wet clutch. It doesn't say Energy Conserving in the starburst, and has all the diesel ratings, so I'm thinking it should be okay..
21.gif

There is no 10-40 in the Rotella line.
It would either be 15W-40 or 5W-40, the later being the synthetic-which sounds like what he got.
"Energy Conserving" is the one to avoid, and those are 30 weight or lower.
It should be fine. Gold Wings have been running Rotella T, either flavor, for years with no bad results. It's good stuff.
'Energy Saving' is just advertising hype.

I seen the T5 10w40 on the Rotella web site. They claim that the T5 10w30 has a 1.6% fuel savings over 15w40.

The Rotella 10w40 is available here locally at Tractor Supply Co. - wal-mart only has the 10w30.

No problems here, it'll be fine in that Winger. The JASO certifiaction it shows on the site listed above does not say 'JASO-MA', but neither did the other Rotella flavors until just recently and bikers have used them for years just the same.

With the other certifications it has, there's no need to worry.

T-5 Rotella oils are blends. I'm no big fan of blends as you can mix your own and get a better 'blend' than you can buy off the shelf.
Rotella 15W-40 (Rotella T)and 5W-40 (Rotella T6) are the Rotella oils with a known history in cycles. Both do great.

Last edited:
I've run the T5 10w30 in the goldwing for about 12,000 miles and it works fine. I can't imagine the 10w40 being any different.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
T-5 Rotella oils are blends. I'm no big fan of blends as you can mix your own and get a better 'blend' than you can buy off the shelf.
Rotella 15W-40 (Rotella T)and 5W-40 (Rotella T6) are the Rotella oils with a known history in cycles. Both do great.

The T5 oils supposedly use PAO as the synthetic portion.

I am suspicious of any automotive oil that calls itself "energy saving" for use in a motorcycle. If it was me, I'd change it out to the real-deal 15W-40 or the 5W-40 synthetic.

Brother called last nite to tell me he's major impressed with how the 'Wing is shifting. He's got about 1,000 miles on it since we did the change.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back