Royal purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Royal purple good or bad? I hear a lot of different things. I know a few people who had used it and never had any motor related issues because of improper lubrication. And they never had uoa's done either. But what's the concencus?

RP has different 'lines' of oil; asking if their oil is any good is like asking if Shell's oil is good

I don't think any oil produced by a reputable company is going to be 'bad'; best one line response is 'it is good oil, but there are better values out there'.

I'm specially interested in the Api licensed line. Compared to other oils. The search function for here is impossible to use. And I can't really get an answer. It always seems as if the thread jumps to something else and never stays on track.

Here is a uoa for ya I've never had any problems with them and really like their products I didn't do TBN since it was only 5200 next time I'll get tbn at 7500 I do tons of towing and had a brand new air filter at the time
Screenshot_2015-05-03-00-01-10_zpsahujjuif_edit_1430629539644.png_zpsdrqsye9e.jpeg

Screenshot_2015-05-03-00-01-37_zpsiupy5xca.png

Screenshot_2015-05-03-00-01-51_zpsuhqudgsc.png

18.gif

Yeah... This has been discussed ad nauseum just since I've been on here
smile.gif

For the record... I believe RP is a very good oil. Just a bit pricy.

Conclusions for the lazy, API SN royal purple is just another decent synthetic, slightly over priced when you can get jug of other synthetic at Walmart for around $25

Royal Purple with synerlec is good stuff, worth the extra cost if you are hard on your engine. It's a very good anti wear additive that prevents it from meeting api certification due to elevated sulphur content.

Sorry to bother anyone just wondered. Is are there any particular applications where Royal purple works great or any where it doesn't work so well?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Conclusions for the lazy, API SN royal purple is just another decent synthetic, slightly over priced when you can get jug of other synthetic at Walmart for around $25

Royal Purple with synerlec is good stuff, worth the extra cost if you are hard on your engine. It's a very good anti wear additive that prevents it from meeting api certification due to elevated sulphur content.

What about 5w40 that's Api sm? Or even 0w40 that's also sm? I believe the 5w40 has synerlec but 0w doesn't.

You are fine
smile.gif

Like Memphis 909 said.... The version with Synerlec is very good and worth the extra money for sure. Where to buy it?? In a store??
I would rather buy in a store. In general that's what I like and prefer to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
You are fine
smile.gif

Like Memphis 909 said.... The version with Synerlec is very good and worth the extra money for sure. Where to buy it?? In a store??
I would rather buy in a store. In general that's what I like and prefer to do.

The HPS lineup which contains Synerlec can be ordered from O'Reilly.

The easiest way to search this joint is to enter your search term in google followed by site:bobistheoilguy.com. That will get you some results.

I've been known to buy some Royal Purple when Pep Boys had a decent oil change sale going on. Felt pretty good about it, too. I'm not too emotional about oil brands, though. Some folks around here are. Talking like Sox v. Yankees Cowboys v. Redskins type emotional. It's awesome.

Originally Posted By: WANG
The easiest way to search this joint is to enter your search term in google followed by site:bobistheoilguy.com. That will get you some results.

I've been known to buy some Royal Purple when Pep Boys had a decent oil change sale going on. Felt pretty good about it, too. I'm not too emotional about oil brands, though. Some folks around here are. Talking like Sox v. Yankees Cowboys v. Redskins type emotional. It's awesome.

Lol I've seen from looking through here

Originally Posted By: Crzydude
Is Royal purple good or bad?

From all the reputable well known brands, is there really a bad oil out there?

Originally Posted By: Crzydude
Does anyone know if the 0w40 without synerlec is still a good oil?

Yes it's a good oil but the current favorite in the gasoline 0w40 grade is Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula which has tons of approvals and certifications while being available at Walmart for around $25 a jug, that's about $5 per quart for all these approvals.

Specifications and approvals

Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:

API SN, SM, SL, SJ ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 Nissan GT-R

Mobil 1 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:

MB-Approval 229.3 MB-Approval 229.5 BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01 VW 502 00/505 00 PORSCHE A40

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W40 is of the following quality:

API CF VW 503 01 SAAB OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025 OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025 FIAT 9.55535 - M2 FIAT 9.55535 - N2 FIAT 9.55535 - Z2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back