Royal Purple VS OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
If it specs a LL-01, then doesn't it require a higher HT/HS than the Royal Purple provides?

That would be my concern. If one is determined to use RP in such an application, I would choose RP 0w-40 first, with the 5w-40 as a second choice, since they at least have some ACEA ratings.

Originally Posted By: dparm
By the way, is your Mini out of warranty? If not, I would stick with approved oils.

Best advice here.

Braver than I if you're going outside of approved during warranty. I tend to flog my vehicles during the warranty period to be sure they are sound.

I am a bit confused by all this talk of protecting warranty and using different weights? Best advice given was to use an oil that meets warranty requirements until the warranty runs out. I have seen the OP post what oil spec is needed but I haven't seen any mention of what weight is actually called for in his/her vehicle? Is it 5W30 or 0W40? Use the one called for until warranty is out and then you can experiment.

I don't see the called for oil spec on either 5W30 or 0W40 RP API SN oils. RP oils are excellent but if they don't meet your requirements I wouldn't run them until warranty is up. Even then if that BMW oil spec is some kind of really difficult and specific spec I wouldn't run it.

Last edited:
RP 0w40 has HTHS of 3.6, by the way.

That's sub-par for a 0w40. M1's is 3.8. RL is 4.0.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

A 3.6 vs. a 3.8? Thats about like saying an oil with a 8.4 TBN is necessarily inferior to one with a 8.6 TBN. C'mon, now!
smirk.gif

Not sure I'd use the word sub-par. Liqui-Moly's Synthoil Energy 0w40 is also 3.6. Delvac 1 ESP is 3.5.

Redline's 4.0 is not exactly comparable, IMO, as that's a group V boutique oil. Same for 300V Core 0w40 at 3.9.

But M1's 3.8 is still excellent, as we're seeing.

I would say the RP is a good bet and do some short intervals with it to clean that motor out and then extend them out longer...I had a friend who owned a MINI and did the dealer 15k changes and the motor looked like garbage...I cant believe they let people drive that long without changing the oil...it ruins a good motor by 100k oil was always black as night and low every change and that was at 3-5k I cant imagine what came out when he did 15k changes....

Unless your Mini is highly tuned or you are on the race track every weekend, a 7500 mile OCI should be fine with Royal Purple.

Royal Purple is right up there with Slick 50 and Dura Lube. unless you just like the color Purple put something else in your car. I would recommend using what the factory recommended or another high quality Synthetic with a high TBN like Ams Signature and send out a oil Sample at 3 or 6 months to see how things are holding up.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

A 3.6 vs. a 3.8? Thats about like saying an oil with a 8.4 TBN is necessarily inferior to one with a 8.6 TBN. C'mon, now!
smirk.gif

What's the price difference?

The Cdn made version of M1 0W-40 has a HTHSV of 3.6cP and a slightly higher 187 VI vs the US made oil.
PU Euro 5W-40 has a HTHSV of 3.68cP.
The European Castrol Edge 0W-40 has a HTHSV of 3.6cP.

Since the BMW LL-01 HTHSV spec' is 3.5cP, I agree with what Doug Hillary often recommends, run the "lightest specified oil".
I would stick with a 30wt oil but there are not of oils around from which to choose. The most readily available would likely be GC 0W-30, but there is PU Euro L 5W-30, Total make a BMW spec' 0W-30 as does Liqui Moly Longtime 5W-30.

Agree. If anything, I would probably thin RL 0w40 out 1:1 with the 0w30 to get HTHS of 3.6 while maintaining a good viscosity index.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
gfh77665. OK, your right, Royal Purple is a bit better than Slick 50 and Dura Lube.

If you have a rational opinion, thats fine. But posting your blind hatred of a fine product is beneficial to no one here, and just makes you look beyond dumb with statements like that.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I don't see the called for oil spec on either 5W30 or 0W40 RP API SN oils. RP oils are excellent but if they don't meet your requirements I wouldn't run them until warranty is up. Even then if that BMW oil spec is some kind of really difficult and specific spec I wouldn't run it.

I think the ACEA specs that RP 0w-40 meets are rather close. The HTHS minimum is one of the more notable ones, and RP 0w-40 has no problems with that.

If others keep bashing RP without basis, I'm going to switch to RP 0w-40 the second warranty is up on my G.
wink.gif

I use and like RP,I think it is a fine oil. In your case I would run Ultra at 7500 for clean up of a likely dirty motor and after a few of those run whatever lights your fire. The Ultra is hard to beat for protection and cleanup.

Agree. If anything, I would probably thin RL 0w40 out 1:1 with the 0w30 to get HTHS of 3.6 while maintaining a good viscosity index.

It's good to know the actual viscosity characteristics of the spec' BMW 5W-30 in service from which to compare a non spec' oil.
BMW allows at least a 15% viscosity shear before condemning the oil in service. The GPIII based spec' oil shears at least 10% virtually second it's poured into the engine.
If one is going to use an expensive shear stable oil like RL I would recommend their 0W-30 with it's 3.2cP HTHSV straight-up without reservation.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

It's good to know the actual viscosity characteristics of the spec' BMW 5W-30 in service from which to compare a non spec' oil.
BMW allows at least a 15% viscosity shear before condemning the oil in service. The GPIII based spec' oil shears at least 10% virtually second it's poured into the engine.
If one is going to use an expensive shear stable oil like RL I would recommend their 0W-30 with it's 3.2cP HTHSV straight-up without reservation.

Or, if one is worried about being "too thin", just substitute in ONE quart of their 0W-40 to the mix.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back