Royal purple synchromax in place of versatrak

Hi folks. I know there has been some discussion about this. Just looking for something more definitive. I just bought a 2006 Equinox with about 100,000km on it. Looking to service the rear diff (rdm). Not making any noises now that I've heard. The versatrak is not available nearby. The RP synchromax is. Does anyone have actual success stories with the RP in that application? I have read the mixed stories on here of it solving or not solving a "groan" (that I do not have), just wondering if there is anyone that used it as routine maintenance with no issues. Or did it cause issues? Thanks!

Is the Versatrax the oem fill? Synchromax is a manual transmission fluid (comparable to Pennzoil Synchromesh). Is that the spec the rear diff calls for?

Versatrak fluid is an interesting beast.

The Versatrak differential uses a gerotor pump that, when input and output speeds different, generates fluid pressure and hydraulically applies a multi-disk clutch that "engages" the AWD.

What's interesting is that the fluid that lubricates the gearset and bearings is also the same fluid that is pressurized and applies the clutches. To be most effective, the fluid would ideally have the extreme pressure characteristics of a gear oil and the friction characteristics of an ATF. IIRC, it was a Petro-Canada product.

I had a Versatrak system in a Vue and serviced it with Versatrak fluid. Never had an issue and I can't really give any opinion about Synchromax. The fluid will look disgusting when you drain it because of all the suspended clutch material in the fluid, so don't be freaked out by that. Also, I found it easiest to drain the fluid into a measuring cup and refill with that exact amount of fluid. Trying to get an accurate measurement of fluid level, at least on how the rear suspension of the Vue was set up, was a pain.

Thanks Mr.! That's a good answer. Fyi...if I could get versatrak fluid around here I would (but the price sucks and there literally isn't any to be purchased). I put an email into RP also, I'm sure they will say go for it. But who knows. The only reviews I can find online say it did or didn't fix their "groan". I just want to service the darn thing.

Yes it absolutely can be ordered, about 3-4 weeks out to local dealer. Or I can get it online in a week or so, or can drive 2 hours for it. Just no local stock. And it's $40 a pint Canadian. If the RP works I can get it across the street for $15 a quart. I don't really care so much about the cost, just the availability. If it's as good I'd rather get it. It's readily available.

I'd play it safe and stick with oem Versatrak. Is the driveline on your type of vehicle known to be finicky with the type of fluids used?

Honestly I'm not sure. There are people complaining about a groan sound, but not very many. Considering they sold millions of these things, not a ton of complaints on here

Hi folks. I know there has been some discussion about this. Just looking for something more definitive. I just bought a 2006 Equinox with about 100,000km on it. Looking to service the rear diff (rdm). Not making any noises now that I've heard. The versatrak is not available nearby. The RP synchromax is. Does anyone have actual success stories with the RP in that application? I have read the mixed stories on here of it solving or not solving a "groan" (that I do not have), just wondering if there is anyone that used it as routine maintenance with no issues. Or did it cause issues? Thanks!
I was thinking the rear end took normal 75w-90 gear lube on our 2007 Pontiac torrent which should be the same drivetrain. Maybe they had different recommendations in that model year though compared to the 2007 models. I did use the RP synchro max for the all wheel drive transfer case on it though instead of that GM versatrak stuff. It honestly worked perfectly. I changed it at 140,000 miles and it now has over 190,000 with no problems so far so I wouldn’t worry about it. Also if you change tranny fluid, I used the Valvoline max life multi vehicle ATF fluid and that worked great instead of that T-IV stuff. Good luck!

Back