Royal Purple Max ATF on Volvo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where was the fluid attack?

I said that wrong fluid causes failures - you agreed with that point...

T-IV is a highly friction modified fluid, right? So, if I put in, say, Penrite that meets Dex III specs, and my trans doesn't work right, and I drive it around like that for 30,000KM, then the trans dies...

Wasn't that the fluid? Even if it wasn't, does it make sense to use the wrong specification?

Look, I am not a tribologist or chemist, my degree was in astrophysics, but I know enough to recommend the use of fluids that meet specifications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: r34dy2fly
Planning on flushing out my transmission and was looking to use Royal Purple.

It says it meets the JWS 3309 Spec that the AW55-50 transmission requires.
Not exactly. "Max ATF is recommended..."
http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-fluid.html
It does not meet the JWS 3309 spec. It is likely close enough and will give excellent service. There are only a couple of ATF addtive suppler chemical companies that supply the near-universal additive packages to blenders like Royal Purple, and they all seem to work well. I'm not sure I'd pay the RP price for their fluid, but that's your choice.

Good point. And others like amsoil,Redline, amalie say they "satisfy" or are "recommended". In my experience with transmissions that require a JWS 3309 spec ATF I have seen great results using Redline D4 and Amsoil universal.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Good point. And others like amsoil,Redline, amalie say they "satisfy" or are "recommended".

Amalie also claim that their universal ATF is "suitable" for my transmission, a ZF CFT30 CVT. I'm pretty sure it's the ONLY fluid (including CVT-specific fluids!) which claims to be compatible with this transmission, besides the Motorcraft/Castrol fluid.

That alone would give me pause to use it in ANY application. Basically, they claim the fluid will work in any and all applications without exception. That makes me think they didn't do much due diligence when determining suitability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back