Royal Purple HPS in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the system at work now longer allows me to order Royal Purple HPS in California, so unless I wanna buy it elsewhere no more HPS for me. I had two cases and used one case, I think I'm gonna return the second for a refund. What should I try next in the Vic? I want something that's readily available at O'Reilly or Walmart - I don't want to have to buy it on eBay like the HPS since I can't order it at the parts store anymore. I like Valvoline Synthetic but it had startup rattle and the HPS doesn't. I refuse to use anything but 5w-30 synthetic in my car. Not a fan of 20wt water
wink.gif
Should I try Valvoline Synthetic w/Maxlife?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just go to Dollar General and buy oil,,,what the heck....they do sell brand name oils there, just not all of them...

Originally Posted by dogememe
What should I try next in the Vic?

In a 4.6 SOHC?

Anything SJ, SL rated or higher

Yes, I'm serious.

I really don't think you can hurt that engine running ANY modern, API rated oil.

Those ol' 4.6 engines - - They're pretty tough.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I am confused how state of CA has anything to do with your "work system"????

Certain types of oil are not available in California... Including Valvoline VR1 in any viscosity other than 20w-50 and apparently also Royal Purple HPS.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that my ability to purchase it previously was a mistake. Perhaps I'll just keep using it but will buy it somewhere else. I can ship to home but I don't get my discount that way...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
If you like it.....and you have a case of it......why would you return that case?

Originally Posted by mcrn
If you like it.....and you have a case of it......why would you return that case?

Hmm, yeah, that's kinda dumb huh. Well, I'll find somewhere to buy it and just keep using it since my results are top-notch with the HPS.

Magnatec 5W20 works well in the MGM, but I have PYB 5W20 on deck for it if I ever run out (doesn't appear likely). Biggest issue I've seen is keeping a filter with a sealing silicone ADBV on it, that makes a bigger difference than anything else.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Magnatec 5W20 works well in the MGM, but I have PYB 5W20 on deck for it if I ever run out (doesn't appear likely). Biggest issue I've seen is keeping a filter with a sealing silicone ADBV on it, that makes a bigger difference than anything else.

Yep, I'm pretty sure Magnatec 5W-20 is what I put in my friend's car (same exact car from the same place) and it runs well (and he's harder on his car than I am on mine and has quite a bit more miles than me). I just prefer a 5W-30 because it makes me happy inside so I can sleep at night
wink.gif

Id spend the price of 2 quarts on a known brand name oil and filter, and not waste any more money on that oil, especially for this application.

Originally Posted by CT8
What does Royal purple do that Chevron, Mobil or Shell products will not do?

Ok. Fine. I'll use Valvoline instead of RP and make you happy.

Should be using a High Mileage style oil in that older engine. Suggest SuperTech 5w30 Full Syn HM which is dexos1 rated, a high spec. Cheap at walmart.

That 2 year old CA law which bans non-API oil & similar non-approved oils, ... does that mean Amsoil SS can't be sold? How 'bout Redline?

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by CT8
What does Royal purple do that Chevron, Mobil or Shell products will not do?

Ok. Fine. I'll use Valvoline instead of RP and make you happy.

Valvoline Full syn with Maxlife has a lot of real tests done on it, and considered decent. Has titanium these days.

Last edited:
Use whatever 5W-20 or 5W-30 you can get the cheapest...the engine will never wear out. Yes, the 4.6 is THAT tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back