ROYAL PURPLE HPS 5w-20; Ford 5.0 2015 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please see attached royal purple hps 5w-20 UOA. First one was factory ford crap oil. Last 3 are royal purple hps. Most recent sample is 2.5 year old oil about 8k and tbn still 5.8. Oil don't get bad with age. Also car has a super charger on it.

DAF34FAA-D505-4BEC-B32F-BFEC9D97C573.jpeg

54F5E214-5885-471E-82FA-71F3DA1CCEA4.jpeg

DBA46A33-32E7-4856-A73B-92A1CCAD71CC.jpeg

A8D3375B-FBAD-4A28-A361-F01D2BDE0384.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the Manganese coming from Fuel additive, race fuel?
Lots of iron (all things relative), maybe normal for that engine ?
Maybe try another oil to see.

The manganese is most likely from methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl which commonly comes from octane boosters. I'm guessing the OP has been using that in his fuel with the supercharger.

The only other time I've heard of maganese in a UOA is in break-in oil as an abrasive.

In either case, I like to see the TBN held out well. Iron is definitely high. Maybe step up to 5w-30 with the blower.

I use Boostane in. Every tank of gas. 10oz per fill up. When I go to track to race I put a whole can of 32 oz.

I have a couple of Jugs of RP in my stash that I got on an in store special at my local Walmart for $20 a Jug.
Boy I hope that's an aberration and my UOA looks a lot better than that. But if I can't pick an oil up for $22.88 or under
its never going to make it in my stash.

I am using 0w-20 royal purple xpr this next run to help with iron. since I have blower now and if iron stays high I will go to 0w-30 XPR or 5w-30 HPS depends how this xpr holds up

Small coolant weep there.
I'd worry about that other than the iron which is not terrible

Octane boost with MMT can foul O2 and plugs and cause incorrect readings. If you are running open loop tune and running wideband the o2 (lambda) may be incorrect.

10k miles On Boostane and checked plugs nothing but a slight orange tint. Most of that MMT is bad for cats etc is just hate from CAFE. Since it is bad for environment but it keeps my engine from blowing with a bad tank of gas safety measure. I'll take orange plugs that I have to change at 20k miles anyways due to supercharger.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

No coolant weep. I have a supercharger with 12psi I will always have a little fuel, coolant, etc in my oil. With boost comes little issues like that

Originally Posted by Jamelski538

No coolant weep. I have a supercharger with 12psi I will always have a little fuel, coolant, etc in my oil. With boost comes little issues like that

If you have a coolant (water to air) heat exchanger that's weeping possibly, otherwise NO. Its not normal to have coolant in the oil. Who convinced you of that?

If you have a coolant (water to air) heat exchanger that's weeping possibly, otherwise NO. Its not normal to have coolant in the oil. Who convinced you of that?

I agree. I've built, tuned, and raced engines from small GT28 turbocharged 4 cylinder to big 14-71 roots blown big block with no coolant issues in the oil that didn't stem from a head gasket or pump sealing issue.

I do have water to air heat exchanger not worried one bit

Where does it show anti freeze in my oil 0%. I had water two samples ago when I drained oil with out warming my car up.

Do a general WWW query for:

Potassium in engine oil sample

BUT, You could have some carryover from the engine build if you had the lower I.M. off the block.

Are you running just water and wetter if you are drag racing?

Last edited:
Where does it show anti freeze in my oil 0%. I had water two samples ago when I drained oil with out warming my car up.

Dont listen to anything arcographite says. He has blown apart at least 3 vehicles with his nonsense approach

Your potassium # doesnt worry me and it shouldnt worry you.

Carry on
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Dont listen to anything arcographite says. He has blown apart at least 3 vehicles with his nonsense approach

Your potassium # doesnt worry me and it shouldnt worry you.

Carry on
smile.gif

Lol waiting for it why I asked about my coolant weep. Lol

I have only water in my intecooler for my supercharger and only water in my radiator. Just makes me laugh the stuff people say on a forum. I only posted my UOA to show royal purple hps is great oil and last 2.5 years with less than 8k miles.

Potassium and sodium... Especially if both are present... Are possible markers for coolant being present.

Just sodium... That was used in the additive package for Valvoline and some other oils...

Potassium... Well I have never seen it greater than 5 ppm in every VOA oil test result.... and typically it is less than 1 ppm.

I think like you... In these UOAs... You are just fine. Keep on rolling good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back