Royal Purple engine oil gives 7-8MPG improvement??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wont give u 7-8mpg gain lol. The only way you can gain power and MAYBE a little MPG is by using royal purple engine oil, tranny oil and rearend oil. i watched a couple dynos and they pulled 3HP more with running all royal purple fluids. 3HP and what? $160 later you feel the power of 3 ponies! If you have an old car, use only oils with high amounts of zinc.. Like castrol GTX, valvoline, rotella.
Mobil 1, pennzoil, quaker state do not have any zinc and will hurt your older car motors. Like my '71 buick 350, i lost my rocker shafts due to the amount of wear that ws put on them when i ran mobil 1. I wont ever do that again. Another sign was when i was driving, got off the freeway ramp, stopped at the stop sign, look down at my oil pressure and running 2psi with mobil 1. 250miles on that oil before i was putting castrol in it.
deadhorse.gif

Have him gladly post that statement here in plain language for all to see as a representative of Royal Purple. If he is willing to state that Royal Purple PCMO's are made from Primarily and as a majority PAO basestocks I will not question it. No hedge words such as "Some" "utilizing" "may" "Contains".

Royal Purple documentation is very Careful about their proprietary Formulation information even such things as the Zinc content of their oils is secret.
If an actively employed direct representative of the company is willing to post in public that Royal Purple PCMO is mostly PAO I would gladly accept that(he is a ME and CLS). Otherwise I will not waste his time with inquiries he probably shouldn't answer.

I am in no way saying that Royal Purple is not a quality lubricant. They carry ILSAC certified oils which is all the quality I need and I salute them for that. But a purple dye and a snazzy additive ingredient trademark does not hook me.

Quote:

If you have an old car, use only oils with high amounts of zinc.. Like castrol GTX, valvoline, rotella.
Mobil 1, pennzoil, quaker state do not have any zinc and will hurt your older car motors.

smirk.gif
There is a lot of good information on this forum, but this ain't it. FYI, Castrol GTX and Valvoline don't have any more 'zinc' than Mobil 1, pennzoil, or quaker state.

Why does everyone bash Royal Purple???

Show me some bad UOAs of Royal Purple, and I'll gladly show you some bad UOAs of "Brand X" oil.

Y'all sound like a bunch of old hens.

Discussing realistic results and the content of an oil is not bashing it. No one said Royal Purple was a bad oil, its just as good as any other ILSAC rated oil at least.

If I claimed that my Toyota Tacoma Double cab 4x4 got 30 MPG because Toyota has a "secret" technology would you not question that claim?
It doesn't mean that Toyota did anything bad, it just means I am prone to exaggerate (if I made such a Claim).

If I said that Toyota uses Sodium filled valves in all of their engines and I have proof, (showing one particular Toyota/Lexus engine with sodium filled valves) would you believe it when I claimed my Tacoma had Sodium filled valves? (Of course it does not).

That is the point.

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

If you have an old car, use only oils with high amounts of zinc.. Like castrol GTX, valvoline, rotella.
Mobil 1, pennzoil, quaker state do not have any zinc and will hurt your older car motors.

smirk.gif
There is a lot of good information on this forum, but this ain't it. FYI, Castrol GTX and Valvoline don't have any more 'zinc' than Mobil 1, pennzoil, or quaker state.

Perhaps this shall help you. This was an email from PAE that builds hot buick motors and when it comes to the external oil pump, the right oil is what will safe its life.... I wish i would have found this before i ground down my rocker shafts with mobil 1.
I've been hearing about way too many camshafts going flat nowadays-- particularly on freshly built motors using flat tappets.I've been hearing about way too many camshafts going flat nowadays-- particularly on freshly built motors using flat tappets.

Zinc has been added to oil for years as an anti-wear additive-- particularly crucial where there is metal to metal contact in the engine-- ESPECIALLY flat tappet to camshaft contact.

Today, flat tappets dont exist in most new cars. Today, emissions has pressured oil companies to remove zinc from oil. So, a necessary component for older cars has been going away.... BEWARE.

BOTTOM LINE: Running an old engine without zinc in the oil is bad news-- especially when breaking in a fresh build. Ask around and you'll hear about high rates of camshafts going flat. Avoid the problem by choosing the right oil-- that has a zinc content of at least .11%. If you're running zero zinc content oil in an old engine, I believe you're asking for trouble.

I've done some research. Here is the zinc content of todays oils:

20W-50
AMSOIL (old) none
AMSOIL (new) none
Castrol GTX .12
Exxon High Performance .11
Havoline Formula 3 none
Kendall GT-1 .16
Pennzoil GT Perf. none
Quaker State Dlx. none
Red Line none
Shell Truck Guard .15
Spectro Golden 4 .15
Spectro Golden M.G. .13
Unocal .12
Valvoline All Climate .11
Valvoline Turbo .13
Valvoline Race .20
Valvoline Synthetic .12

20W-40
AMSOIL none
Castrol Multi-Grade .12
Quaker State none

15W-50
Chevron .11
Mobil 1 none
Mystic JT8 .15
Red Line none

5W-50
Castrol Syntec .10
Quaker State Synquest none
Pennzoil Performax none

5W-40
Havoline none

15W-40
AMSOIL (old) none
AMSOIL (new) none
Castrol .14
Chevron Delo 400 none
Exxon XD3 .14
Exxon XD3 Extra .13
Kendall GT-1 .16
Mystic JT8 .15
Red Line none
Shell Rotella w/XLA .13
Valvoline All Fleet .15
Valvoline Turbo .13

10W-30
AMSOIL (old) none
AMSOIL (new) none
Castrol GTX .12
Chevron Supreme .11
Exxon Superflo Hi Perf 135 .11
Exxon Superflo Supreme 133 .13
Havoline Formula 3 none
Kendall GT-1 .16
Mobil 1 none
Pennzoil PLZ Turbo none
Quaker State none
Red Line none
Shell Fire and Ice .12
Shell Super 2000 .13
Shell Truck Guard .15
Spectro Golden M.G. none
Unocal Super .12
Valvoline Turbo .13
Valvoline Race .20
Valvoline Synthetic .12

5W-30
AMSOIL (old) none
AMSOIL (new) none
Castrol GTX .12
Chevron Supreme .11
Chevron Supreme Synt. .12
Exxon Superflow HP .11
Havoline Formula 3 none
Mobil 1 none
Mystic JT8 .1
Quaker State none
Red Line none
Shell Fire and Ice .12
Unocal .12
Valvoline Turbo .13
Valvoline Synthetic .12

I hate to tell you this but those numbers are way high!

That is SJ or older oil That is showing most oils having 1100 to 1200PPM of Zinc. MNost the ones you marked none (Redline) have substantial amounts of Zinc. You should reconsider where you get your information.

Once again , BAD INFORMATION.

Go to the VOA Section to see for yourself. Most newer PCMO's have ~700 PPM or .07% on the scale you were pasting in.

Personally I think engine builders and Cam Makers especially are looking for excuses for their cheap metallurgy(while pushing performance parameters with aggressive lobes and high spring pressure) and changing oil standards are an easy scapegoat.

Last edited:
I would agree with the mileage increase only if the oils were the warranted Amsoil products. As they are the best oils in the world.Really.

No way did switching from M1 to RP provide a 7+ mpg boost to that fellas car. Maybe something else did it, but I would bet big bucks that a simple change from one synthetic to another did not do that trick.

Anyways...... To the OP's post.

The person he's referring to changed every fluid in the vehicle, it sounds like. Perhaps the transmission and diff fluid had never been changed before, and who knows what it was to begin with (non-synthetic) and whether exactly the same weight was used as replacement. Add 1-2% for diff and transmission plus some allowance for engine lube for which no one stated the NEW grade of RP used, just that he used to use M1 0W40, maybe he's using RP 30 weight.

I'm not shocked to see an increase, there might be some exaggeration but it's certainly not insanity. Maybe he ran a bottle of injector cleaner and changed his air filter while he was at it, who knows.

My point is that he could have changed all three fluids for anything fresh of the same viscosities chosen and got the same results. It's not necessarily anything special about RP. Maybe he went from a true MTL (70W85 or whatever) to Synchromax (watery ATF) and the like. It can all add up.

Craig.

Quote:

Have him gladly post that statement here in plain language for all to see as a representative of Royal Purple. If he is willing to state that Royal Purple PCMO's are made from Primarily and as a majority PAO basestocks I will not question it. No hedge words such as "Some" "utilizing" "may" "Contains".

Royal Purple documentation is very Careful about their proprietary Formulation information even such things as the Zinc content of their oils is secret.
If an actively employed direct representative of the company is willing to post in public that Royal Purple PCMO is mostly PAO I would gladly accept that(he is a ME and CLS). Otherwise I will not waste his time with inquiries he probably shouldn't answer.

I am in no way saying that Royal Purple is not a quality lubricant. They carry ILSAC certified oils which is all the quality I need and I salute them for that. But a purple dye and a snazzy additive ingredient trademark does not hook me.

Here you go http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post791243

{Feel free to take your best shot at the message, but NOT the messenger...} RP has always been up front about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha... I always use the same Chevron gas station on the way to work, and notice using different pumps gives MPG difference as high as 6 MPG this winter. Some people just like to exaggerate things like this with only one fill up. BTW, I haven't done any oil change during my observation.

Last edited:
"The 5W20 is made using Group IV and Group I base stocks."

There is that hedge wording. "Using" Not an all inclusive content remark. Using could cover the ISO-Parrafin Diluent portion of the formula for all we know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back