Royal Purple and Synerlec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how RP could be close to 80% syn if it thins out noticably in a couple thousand miles. I use their gear oil and really liked the motor oil but pulled it at 4k mi as it just felt too thin at that point. If it were cheaper I would consider using it anyways but at RPs price I would expect at least a 5k oci for their street oils. I know RP says that wear is not a problem with extended drains, but I prefer a more stable viscosity and oils that thin quickly are more likely to leave deposits in extended drains even if the wear seems OK. RP racing oils seems better but cost even more and aren't API rated. The fact that RP street oil probably isn't 80% syn doesn't bother me. If it's 80% dyno, it wouldn't stop me from using it. It's the sheer instability of the dyno in the mix that does. It costs enough for them to fix this and blow us all away.

quote:

Originally posted by goodvibes:
RP racing oils seems better but cost even more and aren't API rated.

All of the best oils on here aren't API rated though, such as Amsoil, Redline, GC 0w30, and so on. So I wouldn't worry about that.

RP racing has shown some very good numbers and it has also proven that it can go for longer drains too. It's got a strong enough TBN to handle street driving quite handily.

I have begun recommending RP 41 as another option to LS1 owners, as it's performed very well in this engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
All of the best oils on here aren't API rated though, such as Amsoil, Redline, GC 0w30, and so on.

GC 0w30 is API rated, it just doesn't have the GF-3 starburst. It does have the API doughnut and SL rating.

From Royal Purple's website:

"In 1986 an oil production company called upon John Williams to provide a solution to the chronic thrust bearing failures that he had been experiencing in large compressors. Because there was no oil on the market to solve the problem, John Williams came out of retirement after more than 40 years in the lubricants industry to develop one."

I know them from industry - lubricating bearings in pumps, fans, etc.

I have not used their 5W30 yet b/c it's ~ $5/qt & UOAs don't seem to support the added cost. I could understand VOA not showing that the oil should be good. I will probably try it one day b/c for some reason I want it to be good oil.

I use Redline in my Supra. It's sure hard to see the oil level on the dipstick after an oil change.

I wish Redline would blend in some dye like Royal Purple does.

quote:

I am an RP skeptic, from the gimmicky color on. As far as I can tell, the company has only been around since 1991, was founded by a salesman and his wife, and has a lot of anecdotal "hype" about it on the boards.

I am as well don't think they are fully synthetic.

Patman, Mobil 1/Motorcraft oils are API and two of the best out there. German Castrol is as well.
Also, you can't just use Mobil's 5w-30 in a LS1 as the only grade to base M1 on. 15w-50, 10w-30, 0w-40 and 0w-20 are their best grades.
wink.gif

[ April 16, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Royal purple's dye, dissapears within a couple hundred miles. RP's thinning is troublesome, but it usually provides decent numbers. Certain engines have been shown to work very well with RP. IMO, RP can run with the rest of the API synthetics as far as numbers go. RP's street oil does use some Group I in it, according to RP's tech support. They will not provide the ratio used. Isn't Schaeffer's Penetro, also proprietary?

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Royal purple's dye, dissapears within a couple hundred miles. RP's thinning is troublesome, but it usually provides decent numbers. Certain engines have been shown to work very well with RP. IMO, RP can run with the rest of the API synthetics as far as numbers go. RP's street oil does use some Group I in it, according to RP's tech support. They will not provide the ratio used. Isn't Schaeffer's Penetro, also proprietary?

I tried one run of RP in my V-6 Camry, and was not especially impressed. The engine seemed slightly harsher during WOT, high RPM operation. Not awful, just not as smooth. I'm comparing against M-1 and Amsoil.

Although it was purple going in, I could never see any "purpleness" on the dipstick, so I guess in small amounts (like on a stick) it's too light to see anyway. No, they didn't pull a switch on me; I saw the tech pour the purple fluid into my car. And there was certainly no purple left when it came out 5000 miles later.

So I'm wondering, what color is RP ATF???

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
The origin of the color of RP is explained on their website. Royal Purple Company History
The link you posted looks to be from an Amsoil newsletter.
dunno.gif

I think it's great that there are a wide variety of choices that everyone can make when it comes to lubricants.I guess the consumer will vote with his hard-earned money.
Mark

Yes, the article was re-posted on an Amsoil website (I am not a dealer or an Amsoil zealot, but I like their formulations and use them from time to time). But so what? - the article was not written by Amsoil, it is apparently an Aussie magazine. What is the point of your post anyway, unless you could demonstrate that the article was biased or underwritten by Amsoil?

If I wanted my oil to be purple, I would squeeze some out of Barney.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
All of the best oils on here aren't API rated though, such as Amsoil, Redline, GC 0w30, and so on.

GC 0w30 is API rated, it just doesn't have the GF-3 starburst. It does have the API doughnut and SL rating.

DOH!
pat.gif
My bad! Why is it I thought that GC was not API certified? I guess I should look a little closer at some of the 50 bottles of the stuff I've got!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back