Royal Purple and Synerlec

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I want for Royal Purple to be good. It has not looked all that good in some UOAs that people have done here, but it apparently is used some in auto racing.[...]

RP has two lines of motor oils: API-approved oils for street use, and racing oils for track. From what I could find on RP web site, their API-approved oils are "fake synthetics"-dino oil fortified with additives. Their racing oil line is full synthetic, including the carrier oil.

quote:

Originally posted by TheNauseator:

quote:

I want for Royal Purple to be good. It has not looked all that good in some UOAs that people have done here, but it apparently is used some in auto racing.[...]

RP has two lines of motor oils: API-approved oils for street use, and racing oils for track. From what I could find on RP web site, their API-approved oils are "fake synthetics"-dino oil fortified with additives. Their racing oil line is full synthetic, including the carrier oil.

The API oils are PAO based, they do use some dino as the carrier oil, but so what, big deal.

Does that make it bad. NO
twak.gif

CRW

The API approved RP is a PAO/ester base, but does have Group I oil in it. RP will not state the ratio. According to Terry Dyson, the PAO/ester is probably around 80%.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Christopher R. Wise:

quote:

Originally posted by TheNauseator:

quote:

The API oils are PAO based, they do use some dino as the carrier oil, but so what, big deal.

Does that make it bad. NO
twak.gif

CRW

Of course it doesn't make it bad. Since so many people (not on this board) complain that Castrol Syntec is a "fake syththetic" I just wanted to point out that Syntec is not the only "fake" synthetic out there.

[ October 05, 2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: TheNauseator ]

I don't notice on the Mobil 1 containers anymore that it says that it is synthetic minus some 'carrier oil.' The carrier oil in the past apparently was conventional motor oil. Maybe Exxon/Mobil has developed additives that are compatible with PAO. PAOs sometimes have problems with additive compatibility. A little bit of ester or conventional motor oil added to the PAO helps in additive solubility (and also helps prevent seals from shrinking).

I too like RP in my truck. Idles smoother and seems to have more power. No difference in mileage though. Its kinda hard for me to get and at $5 per quart, M1 is easier to find and cheaper. Also the rumors that it is not fully synthetic and poor UOAs put me off.

I know, I know.....I should run my own UOA.

quote:

Maybe Exxon/Mobil has developed additives that are compatible with PAO.

I recall seeing here in a number of posts that Mobil 1 uses synthetic carrier oils. I beliefe Molakule for one mentioned it.

Regardless if Royal Purple is a 'true synthetic' or not, regardless what additives are used in it, and regardless how much conventional motor oil it may contain, I do not think I have seen a single outstanding UOA from anybody that has used this motor oil.

For me, the 'proof in the pudding' is the VOAs and UOAs. I had been using Valvoline motor oil before I discovered this web site and I was shocked by the VOAs and UOAs of conventional Valvoline. I started to use Chevron Supreme instead.

You have to go by the data-and the data that people have so far on Royal Purple does not look great.

Apparently you can get the synerlec separate from the Royal Purple motor oil. I was in a performance shop one day and I saw a container that said synerlec on it. I guess they sell an oil supplement that contains synerlec. Might be interesting to test.

Since we now have a new RP sponsor maybe he can share with us a little bit regarding Synerlec.
wink.gif

It's proprietary so my guess not too many know outside the circle. Tooslick also mentioned something about S2k having some unique chemistry, although I've yet to see proof that Series 2000 has anything unique.

9 times out of 10 it's all marketing and really nothing ground-breaking. UOA's are a tell all. Except with RL.
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

[ April 14, 2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I am an RP skeptic, from the gimmicky color on. As far as I can tell, the company has only been around since 1991, was founded by a salesman and his wife, and has a lot of anecdotal "hype" about it on the boards. I called them a few times questioning some things (such as it was hard to tell if they used syns or not, as their website was paradoxical in several places), but it always came down to Synerlec, and "sorry, it is proprietary". I underdstand trade secrets perfectly well, but as others have pointed out, where is the "amazing" performance in the UOA's. If I were to build a spreadsheet with no names, and just punch in the published UOA analyses, then sort top to bottom, where would RP be?

I did find this:
http://www.technilube.com/sections/mags/ffr.htm

The origin of the color of RP is explained on their website. Royal Purple Company History
The link you posted looks to be from an Amsoil newsletter.
dunno.gif

I think it's great that there are a wide variety of choices that everyone can make when it comes to lubricants.I guess the consumer will vote with his hard-earned money.

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:

I think it's great that there are a wide variety of choices that everyone can make when it comes to lubricants.I guess the consumer will vote with his hard-earned money.

Mark

Vote ? Vote for what ?
smile.gif

I also think it's great that there are many choices in lubing one's engine and think it's even greater that the internet is available to aid a prospective consumer in making a more educated buying decision than say 20 years ago or to just merely use an oil based on some mechanic in the family's logic or recommendation .

I read somewhere that the Royal Purple street oils are a synthetic blend .

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is correct ?

quote:

Originally posted by Road Rage:
I am an RP skeptic, from the gimmicky color on.

I like the purple bottle, b ut really they go too far by coloring the oil. The engine doesn't give a hoot what color the oil is, so why bother! Also, when I last looked it up a few months ago the specs looked decent on the oils, but the 10w40's listed flash point was marginal at 204C.

The 10W40 CF,CF-2/SJ is designed to be used in extremely cold climates, -18C to -32C in The Detroit Diesel Series Two-Stroke engines, except the Series 149 Detroit Diesel. The engines require a high TBN and the RP 10W40 has a TBN-13. Flash point is only 400F as stated in the above post, but not a real concern at those environmental temps. That is why just looking at a spec sheet, does not tell all, look at the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back