Royal Purple 5w-30 - 4300miles - 2008 Cobalt 43K

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of air filter are you using?

This is pure speculation on my part but do you have a problem with a leaky fuel injector? When was the last time you took your car for a nice high RPM run?

I use what ever the oem stock equivalent would be. No CAI NO Short Ram or anything like that. No other performance mods. Its the Wife's daily driver and is a stock setup. I cant remember what brand the air filter that was in there. The one that's in there now is a fram I got at Wally-World.

The oil filters I use are the Purolator Pure One.

Everything thing seems to run just fine so I have no reason to suspect a leaky injector or other mechanical issues at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cp3
What was the OLM reading at the time of the change?

it was Thirty Something percent.

Thanx!

The fuel isn't the worst we've seen in an Ecotec but sure not the best. These engines do seem to shear the oil quite often and the one other report I've found with RP was into the 8s as well but just. Also double didgit Fe are common but again not quite this level.

All in all, I don't see this as a terrible report due to the severe service usage. Depending on how the PP does I would be inclied to try a good conventional and run to maybe 50% OLM and see how that does.

Originally Posted By: ZionZR2
I use what ever the oem stock equivalent would be. No CAI NO Short Ram or anything like that. No other performance mods. Its the Wife's daily driver and is a stock setup. I cant remember what brand the air filter that was in there. The one that's in there now is a fram I got at Wally-World.

The oil filters I use are the Purolator Pure One.

Everything thing seems to run just fine so I have no reason to suspect a leaky injector or other mechanical issues at this point.

I wound not suggest a possible leaky injector yet but if the engine is operated for 15-20 minutes the majority of the time, the oil should reach operating temperature. I agree this is not ideal but I would not suspect the Fuel dilution to be this high.

Royal Purple is just marketing. regular bulk SM oil looked better than that in my 2.2 Pontiac G5 and I ran it over 7,000 miles to 5% OLM

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Never miss the opportunity to malign an oil because of a bad UOA, rather than looking for the causes elsewhere.

Agreed. UOAs are far more about the engine than the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back