Rover Mini Reccomendations

My Wife is looking to purchase a Rover Mini in the next couple of weeks. Something she's wanted for years and I figure the way prices are going, if she doesn't do it now she may never have the chance.

Being the BITOG'er that I am, I've already started looking at fluids.

We are looking at a late Rover Mini, something between '96 to '00 model year which has a fuel injected engine and electronic ignition. This engines shares a sump with the 4 speed synchronised manual gearbox.

The A series engine and gearbox remains generally unchanged from conception in the 60's to when manufacture ended in 2000.

From what I can work out, all cars up to the early 90's which where carb'd or had single point injection were recommended to run a 20w50. Although unable to find what specification was required.

The Rover workshop manual from '96 which relates to the multi-point injection models specifically lists a 10w30 ACEA A2 oil under the 'lubricants and fluids' section. Further on in the same manual, where it goes through the oil change procedure, it says to fill up the engine with 10w40 oil. :ROFLMAO:

There are quite a few British manufacturers who sell 'Mini-Specific' oil. Such as...

All of these specific oils appear to be mineral based and in 20w50 guise.

This car will be a 'weekend' toy. And won't be going out in the rain and unlikely at all during winter. Probably will only do a couple of thousand miles a year or between OCI's.

What would you do? I'm thinking one of three options...

1. Run the specific Mini oil. It's reasonably cheap and easy to get hold of.

2. Go modern. Thinking Mobil1 0w40 or 5w50.

3. Look for a 'universal' tractor oil/HDEO that has API S* and GL-4

Definitely go with the Millers, the shared sump is the fly in the ointment, modern oils may offer greater engine protection but may not necessarily be the best choice for the transmission. The millers is designed specifically for this unit and is a safe bet IMO.

Definitely go with the Millers, the shared sump is the fly in the ointment, modern oils may offer greater engine protection but may not necessarily be the best choice for the transmission. The millers is designed specifically for this unit and is a safe bet IMO.

That's kind-of my thoughts. Although curious how something like this would fare...

Carries API SF but is also designed to work in transmissions.

I will defer to the experts; Trav.

Maybe, I would look into a modern 20w-50 motorcycle oil, made for shared sumps, but m/c and synchronized auto transmissions are different animals so the Millers is clearly your safe harbor.

Fun car BTW..enjoy!

Just to add, since posting this my Wife has put a deposit on a '97 Rover Mini 1.3 MPI in Red with a cream leather & tartan interior.

Collecting Saturday AM. :cool:
Talked to an ex vintage Mini owner friend a few mins ago, for your market Millers is the way to go.

Nice fleet. Pic of the 90 please.

You have the cool County trim stripes also?? Been thinking of swapping the tarmac shredding 2.5na for a 200tdi, but the 2.5 only has ~4000 miles on her and runs great.
LRs crop an.jpg

Ours currently looks like this. In the middle of a fuel tank change. Hopefully get the new tank in and connected tonight!

Much prefer the old county stripes. Ours aren't half as cool.

Attachments

• 20220801_195916.jpg
    20220801_195916.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 27
funny how they like that pose :D joking aside, once properly set up they just run and run...

My Father bought the Defender in 2012 and we have lived with a fuel tank that leaks if filled up past half way ever since. :ROFLMAO:

He purchased it with 73,000miles, it's now on 87,000miles and it's never let anyone stranded anywhere. However, it does get regular maintenance.

I had a Rover SD1 Vitesse 3500 and SD1 Vanden Plas 3500 that did exactly the same thing. Once repaired and I replaced the two SU carbs with a 215 Buick intake and small Q jet they were much better cars.
On that Mini get every nook and cranny with Noxudol 700, as the car will not see bad weather and salt you can also do the underbody with it and just touch it up once a year. The black may protect longer but hides everything, on these things keeping ahead of the rust means you need to see it getting started.

I had a Rover SD1 Vitesse 3500 and SD1 Vanden Plas 3500 that did exactly the same thing. Once repaired and I replaced the two SU carbs with a 215 Buick intake and small Q jet they were much better cars.
On that Mini get every nook and cranny with Noxudol 700, as the car will not see bad weather and salt you can also do the underbody with it and just touch it up once a year. The black may protect longer but hides everything, on these things keeping ahead of the rust means you need to see it getting started.

It's just passed our yearly roadworthy test (MOT) with a minor advisory for corrosion on the floorpans.

I'll be giving it a thorough clean and I'll treat all underside external surfaces with Lanogaurd which is similar to Fluid Film I believe. It will be a garage Queen, only coming out when it's dry.

the shared sump destroyed contemporary 20w20 oil of the late 50s. 20w50 was specifically designed for the mini as a desperate last resort oil to enable anything resembling a normal oci. even then it was almost unusable at 1-1.5k miles.

needless to say oil improved by the 90s and even more so today. use an a3/b4 5w30 or 5w40 oil and move on with life. much more suitable for cold shifting as well

Last edited:
Typical BITOG OCD. The Mini and ADO16 (the Austin/Morris 1100/1300 that used the same powerplant) was one of the most common vehicles on NZ roads during the '60's, '70's and '80's...used and abused. There was no ''special oil'', they all got just what came out of the tap. I've probably worked on more of these things than all members of this site combined, and I've done everything there is to do on them, at least once...they were just so common every mechanic knew them inside and out... and every workshop had a flywheel puller and the engine lifting chain. Yes, I've done cyl heads, engines and gearboxes, but no more than any conventional vehicles, and never seen any damage caused by the oil being chopped up into kerosene.

Yes, a 20W-50 would be good, so would a straight 40 that won't get chopped up.

Oooo... that's thrown a spanner in the works.

There's a few people on the Mini pages saying they've used '10w40' oils without any issue. Assuming these are A3/B4 oils.

Really unsure if I should try M1 5w50 or go with a specific Mini lubricant :unsure:

Millers is probably the best option. But realistically I'd use M1 15W-50 without hesitation, simply due to availability/price and good performance in shared sumps.

We brought the car home last Saturday.

There's a small amount of sludge under the rocker covers (althought all the valvetrain appears to be spotless). So decided to go with M1 5w50.

M1 5w50 was M1's reccomendation. Plus, lots of people's with Minis running A3/B4 oils without issue.

Will start a new thread in the next couple of weeks as a kind-of diary. Lots to do!

Attachments

• 20220812_122014.jpg
    20220812_122014.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220807_205832.jpg
    20220807_205832.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 14
Back