Rottela 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any body had good results with this in a cummins or powerstroke? I have seen no UOA's on it and was wondering.

Ben,

I've seen quite a bit of oil analysis data from the VW TDi engine - it seems to perform almost as well as Delvac 1. I do think it's a bit more shear stable than the PC Duron, 5w-40. Shell is well known for their "ShellVis", polymer technology and sells a lot to other oil companies. I know that Amsoil was using their VI modifier at one time.

I'd try the Rotella T in a Cummins and perhaps test it after 8k-10k miles. I think it will do very well ....

Ted

I was wondering the same thing Blano. Can anyone tell me if rotella t syn. 5-40 is ok for a cummins in a minnesota winter? The temperature is about -30 to 30 F.

You guys have any idea when Shell is going to upgrade rotella 5/40 to CI-4 specs?

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
You guys have any idea when Shell is going to upgrade rotella 5/40 to CI-4 specs?

Ask them yourself on the Rotella forum

[ November 11, 2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I believe that Rotella 5W40 and the Canadian 0W40 are both CI-4 certified.
Shell has the VII to die for, the PC uses Lubrizol, or so I've heard.
dunno.gif

I don't get the rule now allowing links to other forums. It just does not make sense.

The WWW.rotella.com link I posted has a forum to allow people to ask Shell questions - it is not a gathering place like this site and poses no competition.

Jeez, guys, lighten up. I found this site from a boating forum. Sharing links is a good thing.

Thanks for the link Doc. I actually got it before the link nazi deleted it,
Shell is saying that after the Jan 1 rotella syn will be upgraded to CI-4 specs. I wonder when Petro-Can is going to do the same thing?

"Almost 2 years ago. "
Not according to PC's website or the container I have in front of me. Says for use where ch-4 lube is specified. Judging by the additive levels in my UOA's from duron in the past it is not a CI-4 oil.

quote:

Originally posted by countryboy9799_99:
I was wondering the same thing Blano. Can anyone tell me if rotella t syn. 5-40 is ok for a cummins in a minnesota winter? The temperature is about -30 to 30 F.

I don't think I would un anything any thinner then a 5-40 in a diesel.....most diesel oil is 15-40 check your owners manual...what were you think about using???? a 5-30...or.....

The last I heard, PC was working on getting their Duron 5w-40 licensed for the CI-4/SL rating, even though Cummins and CAT have now decided they may need to come out with new OEM specs. Apparently, the CI-4 rating isn't sufficient for all these new EGR equipped commercial engines. Cummins is looking for higher ash levels, and CAT for lower sulphated ash levels. The Duron 5w-40 is also JASO MA rated for wet clutch use ....

The 15w-40 oils are still the big money makers, so they always get upgraded first. The PC Duron, 15w-40 synthetic blend has met CI-4 and Mack EO-N, premium plus for some time now ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

[ November 13, 2003, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

PC's 2002 product book (red one) shows CI-4.
I'll check a new bottle label on Sat when I pay my bill at the plant.
PC's web site is pretty much a joke and they know it.

Kevin,

I have a friend who know one of the Chemical Engineers who works for PC - that's where I got the info on the Duron 5w-40.

You prose is very distinctive by the way ...no matter what your nom de plume (sic) is ....apologies to anybody who actually speaks french!

Ted

Your right, there are only so many railroad engineers posting.
Noria before here, under my first name/rr.
Bob and I have a "buddie" on that site "the sand box" that pretty much closed the board.
I do have some very serious work that
you won't see it on the internet.

UF,

I like the idea that you think "out of the box"...I never would have considered using a CAT TO-4 lube in a syncromesh transmission application before. But it makes perfect sense ....

People get hung up on labels all the time, instead of considering what the lube is being asked to do in the particular application.

Tooslick

A 114 lobe sep cam in a fuel car was far and away out of the box 10 years ago.
Took some convincing to the right guys in the right places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back