Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasnt sure where to post this. Does anyone know if Autozone or Advance auto cut rotors... or who does?

I believe most NAPA's turn rotors. Don't think AA or AZ do, they would rather sell them new.

FYI, this likely belongs in mechanical/maintenance board. No biggie.

HTH

Checker auto used to turn them for free.

I think it will vary from location to location, you'll have to call around.

Certainly, it is reasonable to turn rotors once, but the vast majority of shops/stores would rather just use a new rotor than spend the time resurfacing another.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Don't think AA or AZ do, they would rather sell them new.

at least not around here to any of the national chains turn anything. Half the time its tough to get a parts person at the counter who even knows what part is what, let alone run a lathe.

I remember when I was a kid and dad used to send us to the parts places to turn rotors and drums all the time.

The last few times I went to have a rotor turned they said it was too thin to cut. If you cut them down to min thickness they will warp easier anyway.

Hopefully NAPA would know, or be able to find out what the min. thickness specs are to turn the rotors. I'm sure they would like to sell new also.

Minimum thickness is stamped on the rotor and drum, but sometimes it's hard to read due to rust.

They tried to tell that to me --(too thin)

I grabbed a micrometer out of my toolbox and showed the idiot his calipers were wayyy off.
I'm not sure if it was on purpose or not.

Note: I say idiot because I had measured them the day before
and he wasnt listening to me.

Last edited:
I would be very cautious at the various retailers. Their personnel are sometimes very poorly trained.

And the condition of the brake lathe is poor at nearly every place I've ever been!

Some of these guys CREATE problems.

Originally Posted By: Rand
They tried to tell that to me --(too thin)

I grabbed a micrometer out of my toolbox and showed the idiot his calipers were wayyy off.
I'm not sure if it was on purpose or not.

Note: I say idiot because I had measured them the day before
and he wasnt listening to me.

were you using a rotor micrometer? they are different from regular ones as they are pointed to get the lowest measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back