Rotors and pads for 2006 Camry LE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the pro act pads and centric premium rotors on my 2007 Camry at 40,000 miles because my factory rotors were warped. I now have almost 60,000 miles on the car and the combo has be very good so far.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well

Critic, thanks for the intriguing statement. My I ask why Toyota "requires" its unique two-piece shim? I've read several testimonials (on this site and others) complimenting the Akebono ceramic pads on a Camry. So I'm kind of wondering why the unique 2-piece Toyota shim would be necessary.

Not all Toyota models have it, but the two-piece shim kit will have a slightly rubberized inner shim that is covered by a steel outer shim. The rubberized shim provides more of the noise dampening. Most of the aftermarket pads have a single shim that is both glued-on and clipped-on to the brake pad.

http://www.safebraking.com/toyota-prius-brake-pads-70000-10000-miles/

Also, if you get the brakes done by the dealer, make sure they are using the factory OE pads, and not the new TCMC pad kits. The new TCMC pad kits are just aftermarket style pads that come with their own aftermarket style shims.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Also, if you get the brakes done by the dealer, make sure they are using the factory OE pads, and not the new TCMC pad kits. The new TCMC pad kits are just aftermarket style pads that come with their own aftermarket style shims.

Critic, thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your TCMC point. I was wondering about the dealer's replacement pads--if they would be as good as the originals from the factory. I guess it's kind of like Toyota's Super Long Life Coolant. The manual says the coolant from the factory will last a full 10 years. After replacing the coolant in the 10th year with fresh Super Long Life Coolant, the manual says you need to do coolant replacements every 5 years forever after. So not as good as the initial 10 years. I began to wonder if the dealer's pads were like that too--the factory pads being better than the replacements.

I guess the other concern is if the Toyota service writer you speak with over the phone even knows if the replacement pads his shop uses will be like the original OEM or, instead, the TCMC. When I talked to my service writer during the safety inspection, he didn't even know that the manual says the factory coolant can go 10 years, and the replacement 5 years. He was genuinely shocked, saying his daughter's '02 Camry gets coolant replacements much more regularly. I told him maybe his daughter's car uses the "Long Life" coolant instead of the "Super Long Life."

This same service writer wanted to charge me to align my tires after I bought 4 new ones a year or two ago. I told him it wasn't necessary to align the tires, just balance them after mounting them to the rims. I'm sure the techs that work on the cars are much more knowledgeable than some service writers. The service writers need a better training program. Of course, their ignorance might boost service sales. I bet my service writer is the top sales writer by cash volume in his shop. And he certainly is the friendliest and most genial.

Last edited:
....Forgot to add that the service writer offered to align my wheels before the car was even on the hydraulic lift--while the car was still waiting to be serviced. I guess in his mind a 4-wheel alignment automatically goes along with the purchase of 4 new tires. Lol

I'm not a car expert, but at least I've read enough not to be taken advantage of, I think.

....Forgot to add that the service writer offered to align my wheels before the car was even on the hydraulic lift--while the car was still waiting to be serviced. I guess in his mind a 4-wheel alignment automatically goes along with the purchase of 4 new tires. Lol

I'm not a car expert, but at least I've read enough not to be taken advantage of, I think.

The Toyo dealer that changes MY oil/filter for $20 offers free alignment "inspection" to tell me that Kitacam's within specs...

Well, I hope it was just a free alignment "inspection" he was offering, but I do think he tried to sell me a full alignment. And when I told him to just balance the tires, and not align them, he didn't say he was just talking about an alignment "inspection." And I never heard the word free.

You gotta remember this guy's worked there for at least 2 years (maybe more), and he still doesn't know that Toyota Super Long Life Coolant from the factory is good for 10 years and that it should be replaced every 5 years after that.

Last edited:
Well, I hope it was just a free alignment "inspection" he was offering, but I do think he tried to sell me a full alignment. And when I told him to just balance the tires, and not align them, he didn't say he was just talking about an alignment "inspection." And I never heard the word free.

You gotta remember this guy's worked there for at least 2 years (maybe more), and he still doesn't know that Toyota Super Long Life Coolant from the factory is good for 10 years and that it should be replaced every 5 years after that.

From the dealer's email promo I get regularly...
"We are one of only a few dealerships in the entire country that have the equipment to do "digital" alignment checks. We provide this service FREE!"

I don' t know if I'd get this if I brought the car in just for this, (I didn't buy Kitacam there), but it IS offered when I change the oil...

Last edited:
Hmm, that's interesting. Since the promo says your Toyo dealer is "one of only a FEW dealerships in the entire country," that can do "digital" alignment checks (and they do it for free), I will have to assume my dealership is one of the many that don't have the equipment. And remember this was up to 2 years ago when I got the new tires.

Did your dealer have the "special" equipment to do those digital checks 2 years ago, or is this a more recent development?

It sounds like the vast majority of Toyo dealerships don't have the special equipment if your dealer promo says it is just "one of only a few dealerships in the entire country" with the necessary equipment.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting for everyone's learning.

Last edited:
B_W....
Well, I don't know about "one of the few..."...sounds a bit of hyperbole...but this dealer also has the Road-Force wheel balance machine back there...that I assume is used when regular balancing doesn't work, a not so rare need...

I'm kind of curious now if Toyota service writers are rewarded in some way by the amount of services they get customers to buy?

I won't blame him too much for trying to sell me a 4-wheel alignment that I didn't need when I went in to buy new tires 2 years ago, but I can't overlook his lack of knowledge about the longevity of Toyota Super Long Life coolant. His time frame for replacing Toyota coolant is much, much shorter than the manual's.

Oh, thank you so much Critic for distinguishing between the TCMC ("Toyota Complete Maintenance Care") pads and the Toyota OEM pads. So far I've called one dealership asking if they have the TCMC or OEM pads for my Camry, and he told me they have the "updated" ones, which he acknowledged is probably the TCMC ones, even though he said they won't say "TCMC" on the box. And he wants $73 for them. Wholly Moly! Hello Akebono Ceramics! Lol.

He had to check the part number to determine if they were OEM or TCMC.

I guess the dealerships like to use the words "Updated" pads more than "TCMC" pads. The parts department originally didn't distinguish between TCMC and OEM when I asked. He said they're all OEM.

Last edited:
The high price made me wonder if I made a mistake, so I called again to make sure the $73 quote for pads wasn't for all 4 tires. The parts department told me the $73 is for pads for just the front tires.

SatinSilver, many thanks for the Toyota discounts page. That's a nifty link I will remember for the future.

Remember that $50 discount I mentioned earlier for brake work, the fine print says the discount only applies to "dealer-installed TCMC front brake pads."

Oh, thank you so much Critic for distinguishing between the TCMC ("Toyota Complete Maintenance Care") pads and the Toyota OEM pads. So far I've called one dealership asking if they have the TCMC or OEM pads for my Camry, and he told me they have the "updated" ones, which he acknowledged is probably the TCMC ones, even though he said they won't say "TCMC" on the box. And he wants $73 for them. Wholly Moly! Hello Akebono Ceramics! Lol.

He had to check the part number to determine if they were OEM or TCMC.

I guess the dealerships like to use the words "Updated" pads more than "TCMC" pads. The parts department originally didn't distinguish between TCMC and OEM when I asked. He said they're all OEM.

The easiest way to distinguish the difference between the TCMC and the factory brake pads, is whether the pad kit has shims. The factory pads do not come with shims (they must be ordered separately), but the TCMC kits do include shims.

TCMC pad kit part # is 00465-AZ010-TM = $38.95 + $9 s/h
Factory pads part # is 00465-33240 = $52 shipped

(Please verify the part numbers, I just got them from the sellers)

Critic, I took your advice and upgraded to the 125.44079 carbon-infused Centric rotors from the 120.xxx iron rotors. Also ordered today from Amazon the Akebono ceramic 908 pads.

Do you think if I bought the unique Toyota 2-piece rubber-and-metal shims from somewhere, that the Toyota shims will work with the Akebono pads?

Hmm, my carbon rotor arrived yesterday. It's the Centric Parts 125.44079 (similar to its iron counterpart: 120.44079 ). Carbon begins 125.xxx and iron begins 120.xxx .

However, I was a little surprised that just one rotor arrived for $70 ($50 plus $20 shipping). I guess I need to spend another $70 to get the second. Does that sound right? I've never bought rotors or brakes on Amazon before, and I don't know a lot about brakes.

Here's the Amazon link:
www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-Brake-Rotor...words=125.44079

I bought the $49.23 rotor from a seller caled "StockWise Auto" on Amazon. The Amazon page says it ships from New Jersey, but the FedEx box said it was shipped from Carson, California. Maybe it was drop-shipped, I guess.

There's a little bit of lubricant on the rotor. I suppose that's normal?

The Centric Parts box also has the words "Stop Tech Sport Rotor" on it, along with the words Centric Parts and "Premium High-Carbon Rotor."

What surprised me is seeing the word "China" on the box below the words "Centric Parts". I thought this was suppose to come from Japan? I heard the Japan steel is better than the China steel. Below "China" is the date 13.09.13 (which I suppose is the date September 13, 2013). And by the date is the number "2-038408". There is a UPC bar code too of the numeral 8 followed by some bars. Then the numbers 05890 followed by more bars. Then the numbers 13128 followed by more bars. And finally the number 1. Then on a separate line the number 157. Don't know if 157 is related at all to the UPC bar code or not.

Nothing at all is written on the rotor itself. Is that normal?

Should I be disappointed that the rotor appears to have been made in China instead of Japan?

Last edited:
As long as they're Built_Well I'd run them.
smile.gif

Rotors are sold each and pads are sold in axle sets. So if you are doing the entire vehicle, you need 2 pad sets and 4 rotors.

I have seen rotors sold in pairs before, but that was a rare instance, I think it was Meyle or Beck-Arnley for German applications. Those were the one that come in a sealed dog dish container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back