Rotella T SB 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

While at Canadian Tire today I stumbled on a rack of Rotella T SB 100% Synthetic 0W-40. Four litre jugs for $29.99 CDN.

As far as I know this is the only 0W40 available in Edmonton (outside of MB and VW/Porsche dealers). Does anyone know how this would compare to more famous 0W40s, like Mobil 1?

So someone finally spotted this oil! I saw this oil in the CT flyer a few months ago, it was on sale, but none of the CTs in my area carried it.

Here are the specs of this oil according to the Shell Canada website:

-48C pour point
226C flash point
Viscosity at 40C=86.2 cst
Viscosity at 100C=14.9 cst
CCS is 2800cp at -30C
MRV TP1 is 24,182cp at -40C
Sulfated residue is 1.2%
TBN is 9

[ August 22, 2003, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Flashpoint & Pourpoint looks much better than the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. Could be genuine PAO base finally! No more slack wax!

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
Could be genuine PAO base finally!

That's what I was thinking
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
Could be genuine PAO base finally!

That's what I was thinking
smile.gif

Shell has too much invested in its XHVI base oil to abandon it totally for PAO. I suspect this oil uses a base oil blend of PAO, esters, and XHVI just like the Helix Ultra 0w40 in Europe.

Originally posted by Patman:
[QB] So someone finally spotted this oil! I saw this oil in the CT flyer a few months ago, it was on sale, but none of the CTs in my area carried it.

Patman ===> I have seen it at two locations Brampton 'Shoppers World' Steels/Main and in Mississauga Dundas/Dixie by that Goodwill store.
It was all CH-4/SJ rated, I might have seen it somewhere else but I just diregard it because of old rating.

quote:

CCS is 2800cp at -30C
Sulfated residue is 1.2%

I've been pretending that I understand what all these numbers mean since joining the forum. Well I'm not sure I do. Can someone explain these numbers and how they compare to Mobil 1 0W40? I'm hoping this oil is a candidate for my 1.8T.

quote:

Originally posted by Yuk:

quote:

CCS is 2800cp at -30C
Sulfated residue is 1.2%

I've been pretending that I understand what all these numbers mean since joining the forum. Well I'm not sure I do. Can someone explain these numbers and how they compare to Mobil 1 0W40? I'm hoping this oil is a candidate for my 1.8T.

The first two lines just tell the viscosity at 40c and 100c, so when you compare it to other oils you know if it's thicker or thinner, and can tell where in the scale of that viscosity it is. In other words, with this oil having a viscosity of 14.9, and the range of a 40wt oil being 12.5 to 16.3, we know it's a middle 40wt.

The next two lines simply tell how it's cold cranking performance is at that temperature. If you then compare it's specs to other oils you'll see if this number is lower, then that means it's a better cold weather oil compared to another with higher numbers.

The last number simply tells how much sulfated ash is in the oil. A higher number is not always bad though, because if the oil doesn't burn off as easily, then that sulfated ash won't contaminate the catalytic convertor as much anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back