Rotella T 15w-40 2000 miles Yamaha V-Star 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is third fill of Rotella. Copper kinda high.
Everything else seems o.k. for 5800 miles on a 2008 V-Star.
Air cooled, carburetor v-twin shaft drive.
2hp6h37.jpg

Copper could be head gaskets, sealer or oil cooler. You only have 5800 miles on the unit. Tin is a little high but again could be from break-in including residuals from earlier. I would trend it. It will probably drop on the next couple of oil changes. Make sure the oil has had time to warm up before you get after it and dont allow it to idle over two minutes (less is better) especially on the side-stand.

Last edited:
I've noticed a few UOA of low mile bikes that trended down on copper after 12 or 15k. I'm hoping it is breaking in and not a bushing being eaten. I commute 40 miles a day, mostly highway. Not much idle time.

Not sure how soon the copper drops in this engine... on Harley engines, you see copper high until around 8000 miles, so I would guess you're fine.

The oil is in great shape. Good choice, stick with it.

Dan

look at the background scatter.

you are fine.

hey, what do you know.....72.2 is a 40wt !!!!

wow, somebody posted a uoa with the oil still in grade.

oh, wait, it's HDEO.
flash of 405
tbn of 6.5

yawn!

Thanks for the comments. I put in a new fill of 15w-40 and a Sham ch-6004 filter (filter comes with 2 O-rings wrong size) at 5800 mi, so I'll go 3000 miles on the next run and sample for the TBN and copper. It really looks pretty good for conventional oil in an air cooled bike.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
look at the background scatter.

you are fine.

hey, what do you know.....72.2 is a 40wt !!!!

wow, somebody posted a uoa with the oil still in grade.

oh, wait, it's HDEO.
flash of 405
tbn of 6.5

yawn!

Yep......my thoughts exactly. Pour in HDEO and let her go. Drenching my Beemer in Delvac tomorrow. Can't wait to feel the smoothness!!!!!

Last edited:
twinsport,
depends on the motor -> a lazy v-twin vs a single or 4 screamer.
and most importantly the rpm's that the motor spins/spends its life at!

6000 rpm is nothing. 9-10k changes that outlook a lot. live at 9k+ and add in some runs up to 13k and the gears in the tranny chew it up quick.

I'm about to post up my results with Rotella 15w40, but I thought I would comment... After 6600 miles and some serious abuse (10+K RPM, speeds > 130MPH, drag launches, wheelies) the oil it's self held up pretty well.

Seems to have done a [censored] job of protecting the engine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back