rotella t 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Michigan born but my heart belongs in dixie
I have four gallons of rotella t10w30. A friend bought it relized it wasnt 15w40 and gave it to me. I have a 97 ford with 7.3 psd w/ 197k on the clock. No oil burn or leaks to speak of, less then two quarts to 5k oci's. I was wondering if this oil will be good at home under the hood of the ford. No heavy loads and temps over 80 degrees F.

Ken

Ps thank you

Your friend is wise enough not to use it in his vehicle; you should follow that lead. You're truck is sped'd 40WT. There are plenty of cars you could use the 30WT in or atv's or mowers, snowblowers, etc...

I totally disagree with the above advice. Your 7.3L will run just fine with 10w-30 HDEO. And your moderate use (no loads and no high temps) will prove to be very easy on the oil.

You don't mention it, and I'm not really sure that it even matters, but is it the TP dino or T5 syn? Either is a very fine product.

I would ask anyone that believes the thinner grade to be failure prone, please provide proof of claim. Put up the UOAs that show how the thinner grade resulted in an inability to protect the engine.

You may certainly use the product in your engine; it will be fine.

If you chicken out, then by all means, send it to me. I use that stuff in my Duramax, Kubota, and other equipment. My UOAs show there is nothing whatsoever to fear. I absolutely hammered my Dmax two years ago, out west, through the mountains and desert south-west, pulling my travel trailer, and yet got statistically excellent performance from good ol' dino Rotella 10w-30.

Roadrunner1 also uses dino 10w-30 HDEO in his 6.0L PSD and he gets excellent results in his UOAs as well.

Fear not the thinner HDEOs.

What I might suggest, depending upon your OCIs and annual mileage, is that you could always save the 10w-30 HDEO for your winter sump load. You'll experience a bit easier starting via the HEUI with a sump full of 10w-30 in winter in your area. Your average low is 14 degrees; it can make a difference. You'll have no problems with it year round, but if you have an upcoming OCI in the fall, save it for then.

Last edited:
Or you can send it to me. I have run 10w30 Rotella and Delo in my 03 PSD 6.0, and find it better than 15w40 for starting and fuel economy, particularly at cold start. Nailing is all but gone when cold out, and I've started it up several times in the teens without being plugged in. Is it the white bottle 10w30, or the T5 silver bottle?

You can always run the 10W-30 HDEO in the winter. I agree with dnewton3's remarks about a lighter viscosity HDEO being OK (within reason) for your application.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Fear not the thinner HDEOs.

Exactly. Lighter HDEOs have been used here in consumer type diesels and in fleets for decades, including when synthetic HDEOs weren't an option, and we have real winter temperatures here.

Heck, there's probably more variety and choice up here in various 30 grade HDEOs than in the 15w-40 side of things.
wink.gif

We run it in our modified 5.9 cummins and tow daily. Our UOA's come cak squeaky clean at 10,000 miles.

T5 FTW!

It has the right hths, and should help with winter starting for sure. I was surprised how easy it turned over in freezing temps in my subaru before switching it out for 0w30 last winter.

I love T5 these past two years. Was doing 2/3's T5 & 1/3 T6 in the sump at 1st. Doing just T5 nowadays. Winter or summer, doesn't matter. And I haul a 5th wheel trailer as well. The fuel economy has picked up significantly (must be the reduced pumping loss) & it gets up to temp quicker in the winter.

I'm a believer.

John.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Your friend is wise enough not to use it in his vehicle; you should follow that lead. You're truck is sped'd 40WT. There are plenty of cars you could use the 30WT in or atv's or mowers, snowblowers, etc...

Absolutely absurd.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
15w40 is the recommended wgt of oil for your engine.

So is 10w-30 for ambient temps under 90 iirc.

Op.
Dnewton is the man with the data to support his position. People can say whatever they like however without evidence its nothing but hot air.
Thanks your friend for the score and enjoy the next year of oil changes on him.

+1!

I run t-5 in everything i have except an 09 bmw. My durmax started much eaiser in durring the winter vs 15w40.

If your still not sure dnewton3 did a uoa or two just 2 prove a point about lighter oils will not "kill" a diesel. He used his own truck to boot!

Run it and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back