Stinky burning oil? (Rotella vs Castrol GTX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently sold my Dodge 2500 truck with the 5.9L Cummins Diesel. It used to get fed Chevron Delo400 or Shell Rotella-T 15w40. Both are cheap at $12-13 a gallon at Wal*Mart.

I had a couple bottles of Rotella left over and decided to put that in two other vehicles, my wife's 2003 Mazda MPV (Ford Duratec 3.0 V6; DOHC 24 valve) and my 2000 Ford Excursion (6.8L V10; SOHC 20 valve) Normally, my gasoline vehicles get fed Castrol GTX. I've used Rotella in gasoline vehicles (including these vehicles) before with no problem. In fact, I've had it quiet down noisy valve trains in vehicles with Hydraulic Lash Adjusters...

BOTH of these vehicles burn a little oil, about a quart and a half over their 5K mile OCI. The Mazda has a bad seal around the timing chain cover and dribbles oil onto the exhaust. The Ford has something wrong with the PCV system; I've changed the PCV valve in the right hand valve cover and it's still misting oil in the hose to the throttle body from the left hand valve cover.

NEITHER vehicle is worth the time to fix. The oil loss is so small and the amount of work involved to repair them is so great that I'll hold off. When the Mazda hits 200K, I'll pull the engine and do all the seals. I'm planning on an engine swap on the Ford, so I'll let the V10 go until I pull it.

What I have noticed is that when I run Rotella in these oil burning vehicles, my wife and I notice the burning oil smell a lot more than when I run Castrol GTX.

Why is this?

Both are fairly high quality oils, so I'm assuming it's something in the add pack.

I don't know why, but I know it's true. On truck forums Rotella is known to be a stinky oil, at least for a while after an oil change. The smell goes away, so something in the ad pack must volatilize or change due to heat +/- oxidation IMO. I notice a smell since using Rotella in my 06 Ram 5.9 Cummins after a rebuild. There was no odor when I was using Amsoil AME 15W-40.

Any chemists or petroleum formulators in the audience?
smile.gif

Bad smells are a reason to not use an oil. It can be a good lubricant, but it can irritate the senses, so why ... Machining fluids can do that to me too.

Just switch back to GTX and be happy
smile.gif

Oils cheap. Irritation, not so much ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back