Rotella or Motorcraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vehicle is a 1996 F-250 7.3 Turbo diesel. Ive been using rotella 15w40 and a hastings filter every 5K. Im thinking of switching to Motorcraft oil and filters just to keep it oem. Any thoughts on which combo will work better. The truck has 165k miles and the rotella will save me a couple of bucks but nothing major.

Is motorcraft oil rated for diesel engines? If so, they you'll likely never notice a difference.

as much as I love MC, if Rotella has served you well and it's only a couple bucks difference, i'd stick with Rotella and sleep well at night....
why wonder if it's as good over a couple of bucks?

I've always had great results from Rotella, and most people I've talked to like it. But I recently hired on at a Detroit Diesel dealership, and every single mechanic there has nothing good to say about Rotella... and blames Rotella for every sludged Detroit that comes in the door. I tend to think they're full of $hit.
dunno.gif

Any oil that meets the new CJ-4 specs will work fine- and is a big improvement over what your engine was designed for.

I don't like regular Rotella, not had good luck with it. Although I believe they recently reformulated the rotella and it may be better now. I think the MC oil is better than rotella, however RTS is a great oil. If you can get RTS for the same price as the MC I'd go that route.

The MC filters are fine. You can get WIX filters from Fleet Filter, who I believe are site sponsors here, for less than almost anywhere else. The WIX/Napa filters are also good filters.

I would buy whichever one is readily available and cheapest. Either one is good oil. You should be happy and confident in either one.

I don't like either one. I don't like Chevron Delo 400 either. All of these three oils make my '95 7.3 liter turbo diesel sound like a washing machine needing a new motor.

Recently, I've been using a mix of Delvac 1300 Plus 15W-40 and Delvac Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 synthetic (now titled Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40), as well as Castrol 15W-40 Tection Extra, and a syn-blend from Cenex called Maxtron DEO 15W-40. Everyone of these three oils (or combinations) makes my 7.3l DIT purr -- and, in comparison with other 15W-40s, each significantly smoothes its vibrations.

I will try the Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 for winter time because it has shown some very good UOA results in a variety of diesel applications.

As an aside, the MC 15W-40 is quite expensive in our vicinity in relation to Delo, Rotella and Mobil oils. The MC expense has turned me off, but so has the rackety engine noise I experience with its use in comparison to the relatively quiet operation achieved with the other oils cited above.

FWIW . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back