Rotella has truck oil no more?

Has anyone heard of the rotella gas truck full synthetic oil being discontinued by shell? I was thinking about using it but hate to if it’s being taken off the market. I see it still on shelves but not sure if it’s a rumor or not.

Has anyone heard of the rotella gas truck full synthetic oil being discontinued by shell? I was thinking about using it but hate to if it’s being taken off the market. I see it still on shelves but not sure if it’s a rumor or not.
I don't understand.

It is easy, common sense.

If you see it at the store shelves, then it is still there which means not discontinued.
If you don't see it at the store shelves, then it is discontinued. In which case, you are out of luck.
Unless one of the BITOG hoarder want to sell it to you. LOL!!!

Yup rotella gas truck is about dead and whatever you can find is nonsensically priced.

Sounds like you want a high anti wear additive oil. I do too so i pds creeped a lot to find some new oil for my new truck's first change and i stumbled upon Valvoline full synthetic high mileage.

There is no direct full synthetic non high mileage version since the regular version is just called advanced full synthetic. But the nice thing about FSHM is that all of the grades are packed and valv doesn't list it but they always have a good bit of moly in their oil. I would personally recommend you use the 10w-30 FSHM or 5w-30 adv syn. They're all basically the same lower end of the scale 10.5-10.8 kv100 so it's not a "thick" oil. There are 12.5 kv100 5w-30's out there. You can get FSHM 10w-30 off the Walmart shelf for $22 i believe. The 800ppm ph is the limit of api SP so Valvoline is pushing it which i like seeing and they've been honest since it comes back accurate on voa's

full syn high mileage

advanced syn

Last edited:
RGT is a very good oil and while it seems they discontinued it is still available at places and is a great option if you can have it at reasonable price.
IMHO it was a marketing failure attributed to the 'Gas Truck' name, not 'cos it was a questionable quality oil.
Buy it, use it while it's still available and sleep well.

^^^That, right there^^^ Marketing failure but good oil.
I know it sounds crazy, but aside from marketing failure, and I guess this would be included in marketing, the actual container is horrendous. Red. Red with a sticker of a photo of a white truck hauling a boat. Just terrible. Totally washed out, cheap looking, just wrong. It looks like something you’d find down the trailer aisle in Walmart, right next to the motor home anti-freeze and bungie cords. It’s awful.

I know it sounds crazy, but aside from marketing failure, and I guess this would be included in marketing, the actual container is horrendous. Red. Red with a sticker of a photo of a white truck hauling a boat. Just terrible. Totally washed out, cheap looking, just wrong. It looks like something you’d find down the trailer aisle in Walmart, right next to the motor home anti-freeze and bungie cords. It’s awful.
You're right .. about the label that is.

IMHO, I thought the RED jug was distinctive and drew me closer. ;)

And you can still buy Castrol Edge 5W-30LL on Walmart.com for only $21.62 or walk in and buy either Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40 for about the same. I’m not sure exactly what the fascination is with Gas and Truck, all the examples I noted carry far more stringent manufacturer approvals.

And you can still buy Castrol Edge 5W-30LL on Walmart.com for only $21.62 or walk in and buy either Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40 for about the same. I’m not sure exactly what the fascination is with Gas and Truck, all the examples I noted carry far more stringent manufacturer approvals.
Right now, Mobil FS 0W-40 costs more than Castrol Edge 0W-40 at Walmart and likely online at Amazon. Castrol's 0W-40 is quite the deal right now, that's for sure. I've recently purchased 2 jugs, and plan to buy more this weekend. It's great oil at a bargain basement price as compared to other equal and lesser quality oils.

And on a personal note, my cheap Chevy trucks and SUV's like similarly cheap Castrol 0W-40. They also like Kirkland oil as well. :D

It is easy, common sense.

If you see it at the store shelves, then it is still there which means not discontinued.
If you don't see it at the store shelves, then it is discontinued. In which case, you are out of luck.
Unless one of the BITOG hoarder want to sell it to you. LOL!!!
Unless it's out of stock, or hasn't been shelved yet, or someone from BITOG heard the same rumor and grabbed every container on the shelf, fearing a Rotella Apocalypse.

Yup rotella gas truck is about dead and whatever you can find is nonsensically priced.

Sounds like you want a high anti wear additive oil. I do too so i pds creeped a lot to find some new oil for my new truck's first change and i stumbled upon Valvoline full synthetic high mileage.

There is no direct full synthetic non high mileage version since the regular version is just called advanced full synthetic. But the nice thing about FSHM is that all of the grades are packed and valv doesn't list it but they always have a good bit of moly in their oil. I would personally recommend you use the 10w-30 FSHM or 5w-30 adv syn. They're all basically the same lower end of the scale 10.5-10.8 kv100 so it's not a "thick" oil. There are 12.5 kv100 5w-30's out there. You can get FSHM 10w-30 off the Walmart shelf for $22 i believe. The 800ppm ph is the limit of api SP so Valvoline is pushing it which i like seeing and they've been honest since it comes back accurate on voa's

full syn high mileage

advanced syn
Have you kicked the tires on valvoline EP? Great dose of moly.

Have you kicked the tires on valvoline EP? Great dose of moly.
oh yeah i have but that stuff is never available and its $25 instead of $22. The only valvoline that's always sold out at my walmart. They have the regular full syn oil but it still has around 100ppm of moly instead of 300 like the extended protection but for what i can find near since half the shelf is empty the regular Valvoline will do. All Valvoline FSHM and extended protection viscosities have 940ppm zn and 800 ph while the 5w-20 and 10w-30 advanced full synthetic has less and the 0w-20 and 5w-30 in the advanced syn do have the higher pack which i find odd.

Its still out there on Amazon but at this price you'll never see another Jug of this join my stash. The last of this I got was at Home Depot 6 months ago for $14.75 a Jug doesn't make any sense to me to be paying more than double for the same when I can get Castrol for $21 and change!

I just look past jug shape and color and pic on the label, I'm not collecting them in a well lit up glass cabinet for their esthetics.
Just the other day was checking out this ugly looking one: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...remium-synthetic-engine-oil-5-l-0287962p.html
seems like very good oil, nice specs and same as Penn Plat Euro LX at lower price, not interested in Dexos.

But some people are very particular to brand names and what's written on the bottle in large font. A month or so ago I saw a confused mid aged lady in oil isle and asked if I could get her anything off a top shelve (as she was short) or so. She needed a liter/quart of oil to top up her VW, so I asked about model and year and engine and when oil was changed last time, she knew very little; so I didn't tell her the engine had piston rings installed upside down (there were particular years for some VW engines that came like that new from factory) to avoid her having a heart attack :) but pointed at one of those Motormaster bottles due to specs/application, price, explained Shell made the oil etc .... blank stare in her eyes and then I got a feeling I had to take a couple steps back and to wind it down. She was dead set on Mobil1 or nothing.

Back