Rotella 5w40 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Since it's SM-rated does that mean it had div>

If it had 10 of the weight of a ZDDP molecule is phosphorus (P). From the oil analyses I've seen CJ4 oils have 1000-1100 ppm P (corresponding to ~1.0% or 10000ppm ZDDP). The CJ4 spec for P is Usually Zn is about 10-15% more, by weight of course. Expect to see ~950-1000ppm for RTS
The limit for P for SM is The limit for P for ACEA E6 is The range for P for ACEA C3 is 700-900.

Charlie

okay thx fellas...but where did I see that 800ppm was the limit for API-SM?

If 800ppm for Zinc then is correct for SM then does the CJ-4 trump the SM rating? & if so then why do they list it as SM on the bottle?

Any 5w-40 falls in the non-GF4/Other viscosity category, therefore note 1 in link 2 applies, no upper limit on phosphorous.

Zinc goes hand in hand with P, the only limiting factors would be SA requirements (See Charlie's post above), of which there are none in SM or GF-4.

If 800ppm for Zinc then is correct for SM then does the CJ-4 trump the SM rating?

If the C rating is listed first then yes.

Quote:
& if so then why do they list it as SM on the bottle?

They would like to show the products suitability for fleet use or use in both diesel and gasoline engines.

Originally Posted By: jmac

If 800ppm for Zinc then is correct for SM then does the CJ-4 trump the SM rating?

If the C rating is listed first then yes.

Quote:
& if so then why do they list it as SM on the bottle?

They would like to show the products suitability for fleet use or use in both diesel and gasoline engines.

yeah but if that is the case then why show SM rating? They had to mod the additive pkg somehow for that because the "fleet-gas/diesel" Mystik I have is SL rated and not SM..It is also of course CJ-4 HDEO, but I just find it interesting that the Rotella is "SM" and the Mystik is "SL" and it made the ZDDP levels some to mind. I suppose the "C" is all that matters to show it is an HDEO butthe "SM" on the Rotella still threw me off whereas the Mystik made more sense to me since it was SL-rated.

CI-4 does not have a phosporus max limit. It will probably have about 0.12%. As said above, the zinc and the phosphorus are combined in an antiwear and antioxidant compound called ZDDP, Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate.

CJ-4 does have a phosphorus max limit of 0.12

SM oils that are not ILSAC GF-4 do not have a phosphorus max limit.
ILSAC GF-4 oils do have a phosphorus max limit of 0.08%.

There are no diesel engine oils or dual-rated diesel & gasoline engine oil that are GF-4 rated (except maybe some light duty diesel ratings).

Originally Posted By: Ken2
CI-4 does not have a phosporus max limit. It will probably have about 0.12%. As said above, the zinc and the phosphorus are combined in an antiwear and antioxidant compound called ZDDP, Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate.

CJ-4 does have a phosphorus max limit of 0.12%.

SM oils that are not ILSAC GF-4 do not have a phosphorus max limit.
ILSAC GF-4 oils do have a phosphorus max limit of 0.08

There are no diesel engine oils or dual-rated diesel & gasoline engine oil that are GF-4 rated (except maybe some light duty diesel ratings).

very good info...but I say again...what is the limit for Zinc on an "SM" HDEO oil? I am getting that it is 1200ppm phosphorus right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back