Rotella 5w40 in my Kawasaki, Kohler, and Honda's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC

I am running the RTS 5w40 in my 528i BMW and my Dodge Cummins and to make things simpler and possibly provide a little better protection to my other engines, I am considering running RTS 5w40 my lawn maintenance equipment. I am in the lawn care industry so I have several small, air cooled engines that I also maintain.

I have been running Cheveron 10w30 in these engine(5HP Honda - 23HP Kawasaki with several in between). I am thinking the 5w40 might offer a little better protection and also hold up a little better so I can extend oil drain intervals a just a bit.

If the RTS would not be my best choice as a single oil to run in all of my small engines what would be the best choice. I am not against running something else other than RTS but I have been very happy with it in my autos so I thought why not run it in my small engine?

Thank you for your help.

RTS 5w40 would be a great choice for you OPE. For any small engine without a filter I would run Rotella dino 15w40 instead and change more frequently.

Just curious, but why the switch to 15w40 in an engine without a filter?

Originally Posted By: RC
Just curious, but why the switch to 15w40 in an engine without a filter?

Well, If you are going to do more frequent oil changes you don't need to spend the extra money on a synthetic. I think that more frequent changes are the way to go on anything without a filter.

RC, i think you're on the right track. i use mobil 1 turbo diesel truck oil in all my engines. i have several cast iron kohlers (non-filtered, splash lubricated) it is a 'sl" rated oil and as such , i also use it in my 2003 silverado and my old ford (see signature) with good results. imho, this oil is one of if not the best oil mobil makes. it is a 5W-40 oil.

Severe overkill, but I run Shell R-T 5w40 and huge FL400 (compatable) filters on the Kohler Command 20 in my Cub 2544 tractor. Once a yr oil changes and the old oil comes out looking new with my 20-30hr mowing season.

Joel

I read one post, but I cannot remember who now, that suggested that an xW30 oil would show lower wear in these types of engines than a xW40.

Any truth to this? I cannot see why this would be true because I have not found this to be the case in my vehicles but maybe these small air cooled engines would react differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back