Rotella 10W-30 in an 1800 Gold Wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried the new Rotella 10W-30 in an 1800 Gold Wing? Honda specs 10W-30 oil and would like to give it a try this spring.

Originally Posted By: SKUNKY
The only problem I can see with the 10-30 oil is what the gear box is doing to it. Others will chime in I hope. I may be wrong.

I know rotella 15w40 has additives for helping with gear meshing. I would think the 10w30 has too. I don't know the fancy words for that but most BIG diesil engines drive there accesories (air compressor, fuel pump, sometimes water pump, and other things from gear drives internally) that is all lubed from engine oil.

You want to see a real mess open one up thats dumped about 5 gallons of water in the oil! It churns it into a thick frothy chocholate milk shake looking mess.

That Rotella 10w-30 started showing up (here) last fall. All of the auto parts stores have it on the shelf.

I have not tried the Rotella in 10w-30 but use other oils in this grade for my '07 GW.

Try it and let us know how you like it.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Don't know why it would be a problem; good luck finding it.
Menards has it in gallon jugs.

I can't find it anywhere in my area

Goose
34.gif

Once my 5w-40 Rotella is gone, the 10w-30 Rotella is going to be my next trial in my 'Wing. I'd have no fear whatsoever.

Honda recommends 10w-30 for the 1800, and their brand of oil ain't exactly anything to write home about. If their oil is ok in that grade, I'm sure Rotella can carry the load.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Honda recommends 10w-30 for the 1800, and their brand of oil ain't exactly anything to write home about. If their oil is ok in that grade, I'm sure Rotella can carry the load.

Yep, that's what'll be going in my 'Wing.
thumbsup2.gif

I use Amsoil 10w30 diesel oil.
The trans gears are cut so there is low to zero shear of the oil. Gears in a differential are cut whereas the oil will shear and the requirement for heavy wt oil.
manual trans in cars and trucks have been spec'd for auto trans oil and 10w30 semi-syn motor oil for yrs. My '99 dakota 4x4 has such oil in its 5 sp manual.
All of the cycle manufactures design and test their engines for 10w30 oil. Look for SAE paper 961217 dtd 5/1996

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

I'm in a debate over this too. Honda recommends 10w30. Would 15w40 be a suitable oil for a Goldwing? I worry about riding in 110 degrees with 10w30 but if that's what Honda recommends, should we still be leary?

The engine hasn't changed (that I know of, anyway) since a 10-40 was spec'ed, and lots of guys run 5-40, 15-40, 15-50, etc.. in their 'Wings.

While I think a 10-30 is fine for every condition a Wing is apt to encounter (heck, guys run MC 5-20 year-round in their Ford Modulars in Arizona and Nevada and the 'Wing sure won't get hotter than they do!!), if 15-40 makes you feel better, I'd say go for it.
thumbsup2.gif

One thing guys that run the X-40/50 oils mention IS better shift quality. I can't vouch for that in a 'Wing, since my new one's been sitting since I got it, but in my V-Strom and Bandit, the shifting is definitely smoother with those oils (M1 10-40 in the 'Strom and 15-50 in the Bandit).

Originally Posted By: RonH
Honda recommends 10w30. Would 15w40 be a suitable oil for a Goldwing? I worry about riding in 110 degrees with 10w30 but if that's what Honda recommends, should we still be leary?

Originally Posted By: RWEST
The engine hasn't changed (that I know of, anyway) since a 10-40 was spec'ed, and lots of guys run 5-40, 15-40, 15-50, etc.. in their 'Wings.

+1 to RWEST. I'm in Tucson and I run Rotella 15W-40 year round in my 2007 Wing. I've got UOAs on this site to show it works well.

The Honda owners manual allows for a 40-weight at higher temperatures. Their chart is really ambiguous about the temperature point where a switch to 40 is suggested. By my eye ... 80 degrees? So it's not like they're saying "30 and only 30" ... it's "30 and perhaps 40."

Got the bike out for the year and went to Wally World to get the 10w-30 and they no longer carry it, had it in the fall. Will hunt for a gallon and give it a try.

Have a Rural King and Tractor Supply both close buy, also live 3 miles from two big truck stops. Will check with them.

Picked some up at Rural King for $13.00 a gallon. Changed the oil and the bike shifts fine and the clutch feels good. Will run a couple of thousand miles and see what a UOA looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back