rotation on tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys go front to back all the time or cross them. Seem to get better wear and life from the tire. How do you guys do your rotation and miles you do it?

Front to back, back to front.

At the halfway point in wear, I like to de-mount the tires, turn them 180 degrees, (around), then re-mount them, on the other side of the car.

Hence, front right tire, outside edge,
becomes front left tire inside edge,
still rolling in the same direction...

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Do you guys go front to back all the time or cross them. Seem to get better wear and life from the tire. How do you guys do your rotation and miles you do it?

Your vehicle manual should give you that information.

I follow the cross rotation pattern found on TireRack and other web sites. I understand any extra stress on the belts are more then offset by the advantages of the better wear pattern. Belt stress may have been a concern in the past, but this has been minimized in recent times.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Back to front and front to opposite rear

This if rotating 4. If rotating 5, spare goes to rr, lf goes to spare. Works great with even wear for all vehicles I have ever owned.whether rwd, fwd or 4wd.

For real wheel drive car. I do back straight to the front, Front criss crossed to the back. For front wheel drive car, it's front straight to back and back criss crossed to the front. But if you have worn suspension or alignment issues and you don't fix them and keep rotating tires,then you are effectively making sure all your tires wear poorly.

Last edited:
At about 1/4 and again at 2/3 of tread wear I swap the left rear with the right rear and keep the fronts where they are. This keeps them all pretty even, although the rears do lose about 1/32nd more tread than the fronts over their lifetime. Obviously, this is a RWD car.

When possible, it's best to rotate them such they the roll in the opposite direction to help reduce heal toe wear that naturally develops from rolling in a single direction. Reduction in heal toe wear will help to keep the overall wear even and the tire noise low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Topo
For real wheel drive car. I do back straight to the front, Front criss crossed to the back. For front wheel drive car, it's front straight to back and back criss crossed to the front.

I believe this is what most manuals recommend. IOW, rotate front and rear, and cross them on the drive axle.

There is always the two schools of thought on tire rotations
smirk.gif

I have had better success with tires not develoving broken belts when rotating front to back!

Almost every set(4) of tires that I have owned over the last 40 years developed irregular wear patterns, broken belts, flat spots, tire bubbles or some irregularities from criss crossing tires in the owners manual recomendation guidlines. Now, would these issues have occured anyway? IDK! It remains to be seen!

But, F to R rotations...no issues yet!

Quote:
I follow the cross rotation pattern found on TireRack and other web sites. ....

+1 FWD, x'ed back to front, front straight back. RWD, opposite FWD technique. Every 5-6k miles, if I don't forget.

Exception obviously, directional tires like Gen HP's, front to back same side.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
+1 FWD, x'ed back to front, front straight back. RWD, opposite FWD technique. Every 5-6k miles, if I don't forget.

Me as well. Fronts go straight back and the rears are crossed to the front.

Big picture:

What matters more than anything else is that a rotation take place. The front tires do different things than the rear tires, and you want to prevent those differences from becoming so great that the wear pattern isn't erased when on the new position.

Do it and do it often! The standard interval is 5K to 8K miles, but you can go twice that in a pinch. But do NOT go more than that. somewhere about 20K, the rear tires on a FWD will start to show irreversible irregular wear. You do NOT want that to happen!

(I can understand for those folks who have to pay to have rotations done - so I'll cut those guys some slack. But guys like me who do their own should have no excuse!)

Cross rotation? I am of the opinion that side to side variation in wear is small, but it exists. I am a fan of cross rotation and I don't think it matters much what pattern you use. Just pick one and stick with it.

Also, "Broken Belts" don't exist. This is what people call irregular wear because they think that is what causes it. Sorry, mis-alignment causes irregular wear, and the tire is completely intact.

I have different sized tires on front and back. I make sure that I get tires that are not directional so I can swap them left to right. Otherwise the right rear will wear the fastest due to the LSD differential and me taking more right hand than left had turns I guess.

On my Accent I just go front to back, same side.

Originally Posted By: JD4440
Just as the manual says, rears to the front and cross the fronts to the opposite rears

+1......That is exactly what the Manual for my 03'Ford Focus states.

Do you guys go front to back all the time or cross them.

On my 530i, I do front to back only because the tires are directional. I try to do it every 5K miles or so.

On the C300, front tires are different size than rear, so no rotation at all; however, because it is AWD, wear is fairly even between front and rear, even with no rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back