Rotated tires, steerign wheel shake???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rotated the tires on my Corolla a few weeks back myself and now the steering wheel shakes like the balance is off when going down the highway at speeds above 65 mph. The balance was perfect before; could it be caused by the wear pattern in the tires after the rotation? Thanks.

Wheel was out of balance already... you just couldn't feel it on the back...

Now that it is on the front, your moveable steering gear transmits the vibration MUCH better now...!

You do, however, know the problem is isolated to the wheels on the front only, so try moving one wheel back to front to see which wheel.

Then inspect wheel / tire for bends or noticeable damage wear etc. If nothing is seen, leave the weights on and spin it on balance machine. If balance is ok, find a road force balancing machine, and check for excessive road force variation.

The tires on my bimmers would develop a stance relative to their respective corner if not rotated every so often. More than one threw a belt shortly after rotation on me too. YMMV

Is this your first rotation?

If the tire shop sees something weird, like a bent rim, or a tire that will balance but not "keep" the balance on the check re-spin, they'll slap it on the rear to keep the customer happy.

Also if you have fancy alloy rims with no clip weights on the outer flange you might/ probably have a static balance, that does fine in the rear, but can tug on your steering with a shimmy.

To rule out other things, have the front tires rebalanced! If they still shake, then you can assume that the tires themselves are the culprit.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I rotated the tires on my Corolla a few weeks back myself and now the steering wheel shakes like the balance is off when going down the highway at speeds above 65 mph. The balance was perfect before; could it be caused by the wear pattern in the tires after the rotation? Thanks.

It could be the balance - or it could be the assembly is out of round (recognizing that both the wheel and the tire contribute to both out of balance and out of round.)

If you haven't been rotating frequently, it's likely that the tires have developed irregular wear - which is going to be difficult to fix. Once a wear pattern starts, it is difficult to erase that pattern by trying to wear a new pattern over top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back