Roof rack and MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
I have a 98 Montana with a roof rack.

Around town and with my everyday driving I get about 20mpg according to the built in computer.

tmorris1 and Olympic. I have a 2000 Montana. Does mine have a fuel economy 'calculator' built in!?
dunno.gif
Is it an option on these vehicles?

You would know if you did. It is on the headliner right above the rear view mirror. It displays the temperature, compass, avg mpg, instantaneous mpg, gallons of fuel used, avg speed, and approx. miles left before empty.

The brick - er Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2l that I drive did 19.3 usmpg on a 500 mile trip with only the roof rack bars. This was with 4 adults and weekend luggage. Two weeks later we did almost the same trip with the same mix of driving only we had a topper and a canoe fastened to the rack plus all the camping gear. Mileage went to 17.8 usmpg. Thats traveling at 2000rpm cruising in the mountains on both trips.

The calculated mileage matched the displayed mileage too.

I guess that's getting close to 10% decrease with the topper and canoe.....

JDP

A little over a month and 12000km has gone by and the mileage meter now reads 23.2MPG, an increase of 1.1MPG. Not bad for a free modification. I was kind of surprised to see any increase at all because the weather is turning colder this time of year. Needless to say I'll be pulling the roof racks off all my vans now. When you burn 10k liters a month every little bit helps.

I took the crossbars off of our 2000 Chrysler T&C mainly to reduce wind noise. I'll have to do some long range driving to see if we've improved MPG any!

Truthfully, the way my wife drive...I don't think it will matter. I love the women, but the concept of "coasting" is foreign to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back