Rolling Coal...a perpetual annoyance

Somehow get a photo or video of the car/truck rolling coal that includes the license plate. Make several copies and send to the Mayor and local police department, the State police and maybe the local newspaper. Sit back and watch the action. Ed

Gale Banks has built many engines both gas and diesel that are very completive and clean or smoke free. Since smoke is unburned fuel it`s waste. Of all the various mods that are done smoke is most obnoxious. Wish them no ill will though as long as I can avoid them.

Even in their worst state of tune, I've never seen my carbureted/points ignition cars spew nasty clouds of black soot out the tailpipe.

I've also not seen bone-stock, emissions free(or I guess pre-DEF, etc) 30 year old Diesel pick-ups that at their worst would maybe belch a puff of smoke on acceleration, and usually nothing.

I know lots of folks like you guys. Move to the country and then get mad at farmers running the tractor at all hours. Again - caveat emptor.

And really - the hyperbolic nonsense in these responses - equating a deleted diesel to dropping bombs from an airplane? What?

“I believe in freedom - exactly like they tell me to.” - Karen’s of BITOG.

Oh the humanity, they removed emissions equipment!

You don't know any of us.

I'm in the country regularly. I ATV and target shoot and a big part of that is respecting the property so that we can continue to use these trails and others can enjoy them. My dad grew up on a farm and my grandparents owned a large rural property that I spent every summer at. We lived in rural New Brunswick through most of the 90's, right in the heart of farm land. I went to school with plenty of local farm kids, we drove our derelict motorcycles and cars that weren't roadworthy through fields and over the dykes. The one family that just had to be "those people" had dogs they let run, which would bite cyclists and pedestrians. They ended up getting shot and tossed in the woods. That was typically how that sort of thing was dealt with.

None of the farmers I've known or know took their tractor, which they use to make a living, and had some goofball modify its operation so that it billowed plumes of noxious ash and unburned fuel, they were more concerned with you know, farming. Nor did they flagrantly blast manure on people's property, which would be a reasonable parallel to this scenario as described.

Just like you apparently couldn't see the significant distinction between a 65-whatever lacking emissions equipment from the factory and some bro-dozer getting tuned at 1AM blanketing a neighbourhood in the fruits of a coal-rolling tune, you also apparently can't see the difference between that same scenario and a farmer making a living. You keep building ridiculous strawmen and then leaning back on "I don't own a deleted diesel" and "I think rolling coal is stupid" like it insulates you from all criticism on the position you've taken.

Deleting emissions equipment is illegal. Yes, plenty of people do it, and if you aren't obnoxious about it, nobody is probably going to care. Rolling coal and intentionally tuning diesels to do so, in the scenario in which the person you originally responded to in here described, is taking that behaviour to another level. It doesn't matter who was there first at that juncture, they are being obnoxious, at which point they deserve to be criticized and called out for it and perhaps penalized to deter them from continuing in doing that. As I said, being here first doesn't give me the right to launch a garbage can of crap at my neighbour any more than the shop being there first gives them the right to blanket people's homes in toxic ash. Run the shop, the hours don't matter, it's the type of work that is being done that's the issue.

Part of respecting the freedoms we have is being mindful of not inciting unnecessary conflict with others so that we can continue to enjoy them and avoid further draconian restrictions and regulations from governing agencies responding to the complaints they receive from their tax base. These are the people that get ATV trails shut down, snowmobile trails closed and increased presence of conservation officers, police and the like. They are the people that get shooting banned on crown land and an OPP presence on the back roads, which are often used by ATV's and dirtbikes.

These guys and others like them are going to ruin it for the shops doing good work by having the government crack down even harder on diesels, which are already under a microscope.

You don't know any of us.

I'm in the country regularly. I ATV and target shoot and a big part of that is respecting the property so that we can continue to use these trails and others can enjoy them. My dad grew up on a farm and my grandparents owned a large rural property that I spent every summer at. We lived in rural New Brunswick through most of the 90's, right in the heart of farm land. I went to school with plenty of local farm kids, we drove our derelict motorcycles and cars that weren't roadworthy through fields and over the dykes. The one family that just had to be "those people" had dogs they let run, which would bite cyclists and pedestrians. They ended up getting shot and tossed in the woods. That was typically how that sort of thing was dealt with.

None of the farmers I've known or know took their tractor, which they use to make a living, and had some goofball modify its operation so that it billowed plumes of noxious ash and unburned fuel, they were more concerned with you know, farming. Nor did they flagrantly blast manure on people's property, which would be a reasonable parallel to this scenario as described.

Just like you apparently couldn't see the significant distinction between a 65-whatever lacking emissions equipment from the factory and some bro-dozer getting tuned at 1AM blanketing a neighbourhood in the fruits of a coal-rolling tune, you also apparently can't see the difference between that same scenario and a farmer making a living. You keep building ridiculous strawmen and then leaning back on "I don't own a deleted diesel" and "I think rolling coal is stupid" like it insulates you from all criticism on the position you've taken.

Deleting emissions equipment is illegal. Yes, plenty of people do it, and if you aren't obnoxious about it, nobody is probably going to care. Rolling coal and intentionally tuning diesels to do so, in the scenario in which the person you originally responded to in here described, is taking that behaviour to another level. It doesn't matter who was there first at that juncture, they are being obnoxious, at which point they deserve to be criticized and called out for it and perhaps penalized to deter them from continuing in doing that. As I said, being here first doesn't give me the right to launch a garbage can of crap at my neighbour any more than the shop being there first gives them the right to blanket people's homes in toxic ash. Run the shop, the hours don't matter, it's the type of work that is being done that's the issue.

Part of respecting the freedoms we have is being mindful of not inciting unnecessary conflict with others so that we can continue to enjoy them and avoid further draconian restrictions and regulations from governing agencies responding to the complaints they receive from their tax base. These are the people that get ATV trails shut down, snowmobile trails closed and increased presence of conservation officers, police and the like. They are the people that get shooting banned on crown land and an OPP presence on the back roads, which are often used by ATV's and dirtbikes.

These guys and others like them are going to ruin it for the shops doing good work by having the government crack down even harder on diesels, which are already under a microscope.

LOL. You accuse me of building straw men while you wax poetic about the ground hog luftwaffe. I’ve not once condoned rolling coal. I ALSO know that simply prohibiting something is not going to stop ******es from being ******es. If it did OP wouldn’t have a new faux carbon interior. Part of being free is having to tolerate the odd ******e on occasion.

As far as behavior contributing to new laws - politicians will implement prohibitions Regardless. It’s an HOA on a national scale.

LOL. You accuse me of building straw men while you wax poetic about the ground hog luftwaffe.
You did indeed troll-out two rather impressively impotent strawmen, while my Wright Brothers-inspired manual mortaring from a Cessna anecdote was intentionally ridiculous, and clearly made an impression, as you are still talking about it. It highlights the stupidity of doing something overtly inflammatory, wholly unnecessary, and would spark the ire of those living near, which clearly is the case with the shop we are discussing.

However, the manure spreader comparison is probably more close to home.
I’ve not once condoned rolling coal.
No, but you've defended it because: freedom.
I ALSO know that simply prohibiting something is not going to stop ******es from being ******es. If it did OP wouldn’t have a new faux carbon interior. Part of being free is having to tolerate the odd ******e on occasion.
Blocking off trails is pretty effective at stopping people from using them. We've had lots of trails shutdown to both ATV's and snowmobiles because of these types, they ruin it for everyone else. It also increases the cost with trail supervision, passes, officer presence...etc. It's a PITA.

Current regs/bylaws are pretty laxly enforced, but enough people complain and things can get really stupid really fast. Anecdote:

Ontario had a bit of a street racing problem. Now of course speeding and dangerous driving were already illegal, but they went Judge Dredd on the situation implementing near zero-tolerance and expanding the scope, creating a few different categories that included:
- Stunt Driving - Spinning the tires, street racing, basically anything that could have got you a careless before
- Excessive speeding - Anything 50km/h or more above the speed limit (including passing)

If you got hit with either of the above you didn't get a speeding ticket, you got a minimum 30 day license suspension, your car towed and impounded, a fine that could be $10,000, all on the side of the road. The OPP became Judge, Jury and Executioner overnight.

This was EFFECTIVE. The local car scenes dried up, the street racing all but completely vanished. Once a few guys got nailed and lost their cars, that was pretty much it.

That's what happens when the Karen situation hits critical mass, and why it is best to avoid letting it get that far. Enough of these goofs rolling around and we'll see something equally insane targeting diesel trucks.
As far as behavior contributing to new laws - politicians will implement prohibitions Regardless. It’s an HOA on a national scale.
We don't need to give them excuses. They don't dream up these regulations/restrictions in a vacuum, they are the product of complaints and letters they receive. I've seen this play-out here with the aforementioned trail systems. A lot of these cross farmland and private property. That access gets revoked when people start being ***** and not respecting that privilege.

Yeah I live in an area where farms and ranchettes are just getting converted into neighborhoods and there is a "custom diesel shop" behind the neighborhood.

They clearly are not good enough mechanics to make a living at doing it, and they have their own virtual junkyard out there leaching who-knows-what into the soil.

The worst part is they tend to do their testing and tuning at the odd hours of the night, since they clearly have day jobs. They tend to roll lots of coal when they are testing and it ends up in people's backyards. So not only is it loud at 1AM, but they leave soot all over the place. I actually don't usually get the soot in my yard but I can hear them revving up the diesel motors they work on and it is loud.

The houses that are worst affected by the soot, the original owners actually sold their houses and moved away. Sad.

The HOA has tried contacting almost every governmental organization out there to stop them but to no avail. Their excuse: We were here first!

This is the outfit:

I looked at google maps, The street the house with the shop out out back is on is pretty far removed from the subdivision.....They would basically have to drive out of their way into the subdivision to blanket it with soot. With a prevailing south wind.....I doubt any soot would drift over to the subdivision? Unless they really are going out of their way to annoy the people that live there by driving over there??.

I'm in NO WAY condoning the sport of Rolling Coal as it irritates me as well.

As for the noise, It IS what it IS, Looks like it was a pretty rural area before all the subdivisions were built, Are there even noise ordinances in place? That would be something to know before purchasing a home. Of coarse a HOA would have no authority over property outside the subdivision.

Mechanics tend to have parts vehicles around, I have a few myself & also operate a full blown auto repair business on my property. Even though my municipality has noise ordinances.....The neighborhood I live in butts up against Industrial Zoned properties & I was granted a zoning change for the land my shop sits on. It was posted in plain sight that I had petitioned for such....None of my neighbors fought it. I can actually make all the noise I want at whatever time. However.....I respect my neighbors as much as possible & keep work form 7am to 7pm at most & usually keep a 8am to 5pm schedule.

I build transmissions for a few 1000+HP drag cars that would make the wildest diesel street truck seem tame far as noise is concerned. Testing Trans Brakes.....Bump In & Stall is downright deafening & I've had Ft Worth PD pay a visit saying people are having stuff fall off selves & every window in their house is vibrating, I just show them my certificate of occupancy & they leave. "These People" are new to the neighborhood as builders are building houses on ANY empty lot they can find.
I'm not pulling the "I was here first card".....But Zoning is a matter of public record.

Best advise I can give......Know the area you're buying a house in, Don't just assume all your issues will be taken care of by complaining about them after the fact.

I've noticed a reduction in Coal Rollers around here in the last few years, I can only hope the trend continues!

I looked at google maps, The street the house with the shop out out back is on is pretty far removed from the subdivision.....They would basically have to drive out of their way into the subdivision to blanket it with soot. With a prevailing south wind.....I doubt any soot would drift over to the subdivision? Unless they really are going out of their way to annoy the people that live there by driving over there??.
Coal Rollers look for victims to do soot assaults on, it's the game they play.

We have pretty much seen them come and go …
For one thing … it’s a hefty ticket and they have to pay for that new police station … many on patrol …
Also, it caused more trouble than some bargained for … these big farm boys are not scared of a punk in a big truck … and it was mostly punks when it was going on …

I'm in NO WAY condoning the sport of Rolling Coal as it irritates me as well.

As for the noise, It IS what it IS, Looks like it was a pretty rural area before all the subdivisions were built, Are there even noise ordinances in place? That would be something to know before purchasing a home. Of coarse a HOA would have no authority over property outside the subdivision.

Mechanics tend to have parts vehicles around, I have a few myself & also operate a full blown auto repair business on my property. Even though my municipality has noise ordinances.....The neighborhood I live in butts up against Industrial Zoned properties & I was granted a zoning change for the land my shop sits on. It was posted in plain sight that I had petitioned for such....None of my neighbors fought it. I can actually make all the noise I want at whatever time. However.....I respect my neighbors as much as possible & keep work form 7am to 7pm at most & usually keep a 8am to 5pm schedule.

I build transmissions for a few 1000+HP drag cars that would make the wildest diesel street truck seem tame far as noise is concerned. Testing Trans Brakes.....Bump In & Stall is downright deafening & I've had Ft Worth PD pay a visit saying people are having stuff fall off selves & every window in their house is vibrating, I just show them my certificate of occupancy & they leave. "These People" are new to the neighborhood as builders are building houses on ANY empty lot they can find.
I'm not pulling the "I was here first card".....But Zoning is a matter of public record.

Best advise I can give......Know the area you're buying a house in, Don't just assume all your issues will be taken care of by complaining about them after the fact.

I've noticed a reduction in Coal Rollers around here in the last few years, I can only hope the trend continues!
Sounds about right. Caveat emptor.

The incident reported by the OP where he was driving in his convertible MG and someone intentionally covered him with diesel exhaust was an assault and likely a tort case. Intentional vandalism against his vehicle and spraying him with a carcinogenic substance.
Neither were a laughing matter although the "bro" and his buddies that he like bragged to probably thought so.

If someone did that to me and I was able to identify them, you can be sure that I'd press charges. Of course with the political party in control today, the joker would probably have all charges dismissed.
Maybe a little frontier justice would be in order.

Coal is wasted fuel and a demonstration of either being ignorant or negligent. At least there are not a lot of pre DPF trucks left. The post emissions trucks being deleted will be easier to crack down on.

I am doing some work to my old diesel but my goals are to be as clean as possible with a bit more power.

Back